The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
mckpaul

Question about pulling AC condenser coil

To remove the AC condenser coil on our trucks, can I just remove the grill and pull it out the front? Or do I have to mess with the radiator as well?

During my motor swap out, I had the radiator out, and at some point, I dinged the AC condenser slightly with a tool or something. I think it only bent a couple of fins. Now, a couple of years later with a running truck, I'm ready to go through the AC system, flush out the lines, change the compressor and accumulator and get it working again. The AC system is totally uncharged so I can pull any piece of it out. I'd like to look at that dinged spot on the condenser coil to make sure it really is only bent fins before I get into vacuuming and charging etc. to know it's not a potential leak. I know I can pull the radiator to get to it, or I was thinking it would be easier to just pull the condenser out the front. But looking at the core support where the condenser lines stub in next to the radiator, looks like the radiator may be in the way of working the ends of the condenser lines out. Input from anyone that's pulled a condenser coil would be helpful.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
beaterC10

Re: Question about pulling AC condenser coil

The cushions that locate the coil in the core support are attached inside the engine compartment, so I'm pretty sure you will have to remove the radiator and pull the coil from inside the engine compartment.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
mckpaul

Thanks, I was afraid it would be something like that. Makes me wish I'd taken a few minutes to look at it while I had it all torn apart. Oh well, guess I'll have fresh anti-freeze and be ready for our fierce Houston winter....(can't even type that with a straight face....)

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
beaterC10

I thought cold winter weather was against the law in the southwest.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote