The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2007, 02:12 AM   #1
71Chevy4-speed
Speed Limit = Floorboard

HID headlight conversion?

Just wondering if anyone has a recommedation as to where I should look for the parts to convert my 85 K10 to HID's. Anyone have this done? Where I should I look to get ballasts, headlights, bulbs etc? I'm told to use clear headlights otherwise the old style spreads the light out to much blinding others. Was thinkin 4300K bulbs in my highbeams and 6000k in my low beams. Not to worried about blinding people or getting pulled over up here, when its dark so much of the year and so many moose crossing the roads. Whats the differences between like H1 bulbs and H4 bulbs? Just the size? How involved is wiring in the ballasts? Does it just hook into the orignal harness? Not looking for the wow factor of clear "euro" headlights or blue tinted lights, but I don't want to put auxillary lights on the front, and the stock lights just don't cut it.
71Chevy4-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

Re: HID headlight conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Chevy4-speed View Post
Just wondering if anyone has a recommedation as to where I should look for the parts to convert my 85 K10 to HID's. Anyone have this done? Where I should I look to get ballasts, headlights, bulbs etc? I'm told to use clear headlights otherwise the old style spreads the light out to much blinding others. Was thinkin 4300K bulbs in my highbeams and 6000k in my low beams. Not to worried about blinding people or getting pulled over up here, when its dark so much of the year and so many moose crossing the roads. Whats the differences between like H1 bulbs and H4 bulbs? Just the size? How involved is wiring in the ballasts? Does it just hook into the orignal harness? Not looking for the wow factor of clear "euro" headlights or blue tinted lights, but I don't want to put auxillary lights on the front, and the stock lights just don't cut it.

no one makes proper HID housings for our trucks. You need a projector type housing to get the correct light pattern. If you use a stock type or clear housing without a crystal projector, it will not be safe and will blind everyone.

no way in hell would the wiring plug into the stock harness. You would need to wire it directly to the battery and a seperate headlight switch. I would not trust any of the factory wiring to play any part of an HID conversion on these old trucks.

in all honesty, it would be to much work and money to do a proper conversion on these trucks as of right now. i would upgrade the bulbs to say the silverstars and also upgrade the factory wiring harness to an upgraded one. both of those should make a huge difference in the light output. also think about upgrading to a higher output alternator.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

When's the next time you're going to be in Anchorage? Let me know and I'll show you what I've done to my '90 burb and maybe even help set yours up for you if you wish.
I've got clear lense headlights right now but will be changing back to the better hella brand lenses this next weekend. I've also got some seriously bright bulbs in the 'burb too. H4 style 90w low beam 130w high beam
Attached Images

overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:51 AM   #4
draggin86

I agree with Ocbaud. No sense in doing it if you are going to have a broken light pattern.. and you are going to blinding everyone in your path specially on coming traffic! I have silverstars and they work great! i also have HID's in my audi from the factory they are nice.
draggin86 is offline   Reply With Quote