The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
MyakkaJeff

Need your EXPERT advice!

Hi everybody! My son and I have been slowly upgrading his 68 long fleet. It's a 283, 3 speed on the tree with drums all around. We have been using it for part runs and Home Depot runs. He's 16 and does real good but he scares me a little with the brakes. I want to be sure he can stop when he needs to. So, this brings me to the question. I want to upgrade to discs but I want to use as much of the existing front end as possible. I don't want used parts. What have you guys done and where have you bought it from? I would like to use our site vendors if possible. Looking for front discs, drop spindles, and power booster. Does the smaller booster work as well as the larger one? Is it really necessary to go to rear discs. I'd like a good package deal from one of our site vendors. What experiences have you guys had? Sorry this was so long winded. Thanks, Jeff.
'68 C10 lwb fleetside (17 yr old son's ongoing project)
'03 HUMMER H2 (wife's)
'06 3500 flatbed liftgate (My work truck)
MyakkaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
72armyswbtruck

Re: Need your EXPERT advice!

Do a FAQ Search for Disc Brakes, you can put 73 and up disc brakes Spindles, a arms etc and all you have to do is move everything over and drill one new bolt hole.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
MyakkaJeff

ttt I know we can use 73 and up parts but we would like to drop the truck some. We like the drop on SactoJim's truck 3.5-6 or 7. This requires new parts. Any advice?
'68 C10 lwb fleetside (17 yr old son's ongoing project)
'03 HUMMER H2 (wife's)
'06 3500 flatbed liftgate (My work truck)
MyakkaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Talk to Tim Christian.He has dropped several trucks and has kits.I am in the process of putting a 2 1/2 /4 drop on my 68 panel.There are numerous options but I would suggest not dropping the front more then 2 in with springs.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 10-05-2007 at 07:31 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
cableguy0

gmcpauls has quite a few choices of everything your looking for on his website. www.gmcpauls.com he is a board vendor and is great to deal with
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
chris71

I dont think you really need rear disc brakes, most guys that i know just get them for bragging rights or extra bling, as long as you are not road course racing the truck rear drum should do just fine, just make sure that the rear wheel cylinders are in good working order and the drum brakes are adjusted properly. the smaller boosters are dual diaphram bosters and the larger ones are single diaphram, dual usually always means better assist (less effort on your part). i saw elswhere on this site to use a booster off of a 3/4 ton truck since they are dual diaphram from the factory. good choice spending some time and money on the brakes, if you ask me they are the most important part of a truck, if they go, you or the truck may check out for good.
'71 C10 long-bed fleetside
'83 long-haired brunette wife
chris71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

If it was me I'd just add the 3/4T booster,add an adjustable prop valve, and COMPLETELY redo the brakes including wheel cylinders and hardware,turn/replace drums,new MC,best shoes adjusted correctly.Disks are (IMO) not necessary unless you are heavily loaded going through steep terrain.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
Elsie72
Chinook Arch

I agree with WorkinLonghorn, a properly set up drum brake is very effective. If you are bent on front discs, however, go and talk to a vendor that puts together a full package designed for a 67-69 truck so you know that you have everything that is designed to work together. I know that Early Classic does conversion kits, and they are know their stuff. http://www.earlyclassic.com

Elsie's truck
2.5" dual exhaust with Hooker Aero Chambers
Holley 670 Street Avenger Edelbrock Performer RPM on GMPP 290HP 350
ECE drop 3.5/5

Last edited by Elsie72; 10-09-2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: fixed link
Elsie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
mrein3

I respectfully disagree with WorkinLonghorn and Elsie72. I have a 5 year old and another one on the way. Neither of them will ever be allowed to drive a vehicle with front drums as long as I am in control of such decisions (at least until they are 18).

When I bought my 72 Chevelle in 1984 it had drums all the way around. In the late 80s while it was still my daily driver I worked in a repair shop and did brakes on numerous cars. I had top notch parts in all four corners of that vehicle. Even then it was only adequate.

You get one emergency stop with a front drum car/truck per day. After that the componenets are heated up and fade big time. If your son is out screwing around like all 16 year olds, heats them up, then really needs them, he'll have issues stopping all that iron.

Back when I worked at the shop I'd diagnose things like cracked front brake hoses. When I'd talk to the gentleman about what he needs for a brake job I'd get the old "its only the wife's car". To which I'd simply reply, "don't you love your wife?"

How many mini-vans pull out in front of you with mom on the cell phone? How many times does it happen with a load of deck lumber from Home Depot?

I guess what I'm saying is if you like this kid, put some discs on the front, R&R the back, and call it money well spent.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote