The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #1
Frizzle Fry

Antifreeze/Lube for Air Systems

They recommended using something like this for airbag systems on the show Trucks! the other day. Thoughts?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Antifreeze/Lube for Air Systems

install a mechanical dryer to remove the water from the system ... no water = no worries about freezing.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
install a mechanical dryer to remove the water from the system ... no water = no worries about freezing.
Are there versions designed for air bag systems? I only seen the ones for garage-type air compressors. The problem with those is that they should be installed about 20 feet down line from the compressor. This gives the moisture time to condense and separate from the air, thus the ability to be "filtered" and removed. I've seen one installed on the outlet of a garage compressor (just down stream of the tank) and it had little to no effect. The same dryer moved 20 feet down line worked very well.

So I don't see where one could be installed with much effectiveness on an airbag system unless there was a huge coil of line in there somewhere. Maybe there's a type of dryer I'm not aware of :conf:

Also interested if anyone uses the type of product linked in post #1.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
b&a72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Are there versions designed for air bag systems? I only seen the ones for garage-type air compressors. The problem with those is that they should be installed about 20 feet down line from the compressor. This gives the moisture time to condense and separate from the air, thus the ability to be "filtered" and removed. I've seen one installed on the outlet of a garage compressor (just down stream of the tank) and it had little to no effect. The same dryer moved 20 feet down line worked very well.

So I don't see where one could be installed with much effectiveness on an airbag system unless there was a huge coil of line in there somewhere. Maybe there's a type of dryer I'm not aware of :conf:

Also interested if anyone uses the type of product linked in post #1.
Actually most dryer companies recomend at about 3 feet from the incoming air supply and away from walls for good airflow. The fact is dryers work of of dewpoint which is about 36 farenheit the incoming air is cooled to that temperature and then pushed down the line. The only way there is moisture after that point is if it exposed to moisture down the line thus an air leak.
b&a72 is offline   Reply With Quote