The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
68 Stepside
huh?

Exhaust woes. A question or two as well.

Hey all,

Replaced my 2 1/4" glasspack system with a set of thrush turbo 2 1/2" header-mount mufflers earlier in the week. While I like the sound of them, and the reduction in interior noise at speed, they hang under the tranny crossmember. There's one particular railroad crossing in town that they scrape on, I knew they'd be too low.

While I just have the mufflers and that's it right now, my plan was, and still is to do a complete system, to the rear. Is there a company that sells a header-back 2 1/2" complete exhaust for our trucks, minus the mufflers? Or is there a company that sells one at all. I can't seem to find anything but 2 1/4"

Here's a short video clip of the mufflers dragging, I was goofing around with my camera. You can hear them drag about 8.5 seconds into the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWSdhYg1Go
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay

Last edited by 68 Stepside; 10-07-2007 at 05:16 PM.
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
corn

Re: Exhaust woes. A question or two as well.

I think you can buy them for headers from summit with or without mufflers.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
70GMCer

All I hear is the music......Maybe my hearing is going bad because of the music....hehe

1965 Mustang
70GMCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
68 Stepside
huh?

Yeah, it's hard to hear because of the music, didn't expect it to scrape, so I had the music playing.

The only front to rear 2 1/2" exhaust I could find thus far is a Dynomax stainless from LMC. But it's really spendy. There's got to be a bolt on 2 1/2" exhaust for our trucks that's not $500.00
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay

Last edited by 68 Stepside; 10-07-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

So, let me get this straight--you hung your muffs right off of the headers and now you want an exhaust system to the rear. I don't know of any company that sells a complete exhaust system that will go that far forward. Most work on a short set of pipes to the mufflers coming from the headers and then the tailpipes run on back from the mufflers. (that way the mufflers are behind the cab and they clear those stupid railroad tracks) I found a good muffler shop in my area that I could make friends with and we built my systems for my trucks.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
68 Stepside
huh?

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear (it's happened before). I'd like to take these mufflers and modify them (cut the header flanges off) and adapt them to a full length 2 1/2" system. Sorry about that. There's one muffler shop in my area that might do me right, going to call them next week.

Wow, my 5,000th post!!
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay

Last edited by 68 Stepside; 10-07-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
72BLUZ

The Right Muffler Man Can Get Your Exhaust Behind The Frame, And He Can Cut Holes In The Frame Cross Member Using A Plasma Cutter. Thats How Mine Is Done. The Only Thing Seen On Mine Is The Tail Pipes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
dastuck

68 stepside it sounds like your running the same setup i had in my 72 when i was in high school. I was running thrush mufflers bolted straight to my headers as my exhaust. You must not be running stock height on the truck or have some crazy railroad crossings in your area if your dragging. I can see why you want to redo the exhaust. You could clearly see my exhaust "system" on my truck with the thrush hanging down below the frame. I did like the sound but not the looks. I would say find a local shop and tell them what your wanting to do. Im sure if you find the right one he will be able to help you out.
dastuck is offline   Reply With Quote