The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
moose83772

rear disc brake conversion kit

ok. so i have finally designed my own rear disc brake conversion kit for my 72 1/2 ton 4x4. i am currently having an engineer run some calcs for me to find the fail weight. im going to have him calc them a 38" tires and at 6000 lbs. if anyone may be interested in one of these kits in the future and has some different parameters please post them on here or send me a pm so i can have the calcs done to see if it is safe. when i have the calcs i will post on the for sale forum so that the sight is supported. this is just to get some input
Attached Images

moose83772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
moose83772

Re: rear disc brake conversion kit

oh and by the way all of the parts i used are over the counter parts at any part store. please give me your input
Old 10-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
herb101
Used Register

Was there any additional machining required for the rotor hat to go over the axle flange stub? I've been having hell finding an OTC rotor that fits without modification.

The only other thoughts are (and I may be off base - these are based on my assumption from the photo angles):
1) the caliper braket looks kinda thin. with no bends, ribs or gussets, it looks like it would be prone to twist or defection.
2) is the caliper mount capable of taking a Caddy caliper for E-brake provisions?

Herb
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
moose83772

this is the thickest plate that i could use with these calipers. im not sure if these will fit the caddy caliper because i designed it to fit this caliper specifically. there is an after market ebrake set up that you can get to use the cable ebrake with this kit. i havent looked for it yet tho.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
herb101
Used Register

Ford Mustangs use what they call an "anti-moan" bracket that may be worth looking at. It bolts to the caliper mounting braket and the triangulates down to the axle tube where it is secured to the tube with a large U-bolt. That would help prevent any unwanted flex that may be there and would be (should be) fairly simple to fabricate.

I know, as far as the E-brake, many folks (like me) will want a functional brake for state safety inspections.

Herb
Old 10-08-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
mothertrucker424

i have been looking for a rear caliper set up for my 1/2 12b rearend on my 72 4x4 but will your set up have e brakes??
mothertrucker424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
moose83772

i will look into the ebrake setup to add into the package. i may be a little slow getting to it this week as i have a big test this friday. engineering is a rough major. fun but a lot of studying involved.
thanks for the input guys. keep it coming.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
herb101
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose83772 View Post
i will look into the ebrake setup to add into the package. i may be a little slow getting to it this week as i have a big test this friday. engineering is a rough major. fun but a lot of studying involved.
thanks for the input guys. keep it coming.
Good luck with the test - Engineering is always fun when you have some direct application to 'try' it out with.

You might look into mid to late 80's Caddy calipers. (I think that is the year range...) The calipers have a bracket, a large coil spring and a lever on the back side of the piston pot. The cable basically actuates the piston to clamp the rotor. Depending on what calipers you based the original on, the Caddy's may well be a direct swap. I think there were 2 different designs with the older ones being larger and a better fit. I seem to recall the newer one downsized and would require more work to use.

Herb

Last edited by herb101; 10-08-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb101 View Post
Was there any additional machining required for the rotor hat to go over the axle flange stub?
I would like to know this as well. Thanks.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
moose83772

yes there was. i had to turn the center hole out to a larger diameter.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

me three
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Shane
Account Suspended

so you bored the hole on the rotor?

I used '76-'77-'78 Caddy Seville parts for my rear disc conversion ... rotors & calipers. Pulled the axles and turned the center portion of the axles. That way, in the future, I just go purchase a new Caddy rotor and bolt it on ... only had to do the machine work one time.

Last edited by Shane; 10-08-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
herb101
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
so you bored the hole on the rotor?

I used '76-'77-'78 Caddy Seville parts for my rear disc conversion ... rotors & calipers. Pulled the axles and turned the center portion of the axles. That way, in the future, I just go purchase a new Caddy rotor and bolt it on ... only had to do the machine work one time.
You're runnig the 5 lug then? The 6 lug rotor seems to be my stumbling block so far for getting a home-brewed kit together.

Herb
Old 10-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Herb have you looked into the 6 lug front rotor kits? I don't know whether the rotor is seperate from the hub but if it is it might be the answer for the 6 lug system.Just a thought.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
herb101
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Herb have you looked into the 6 lug front rotor kits? I don't know whether the rotor is seperate from the hub but if it is it might be the answer for the 6 lug system.Just a thought.
Not a bad one at all either. I recently redid the fronts on mine and I tried the old front rotor on the rear flange, but the way the hat is cast, it has 'chambers' between each lug location that interfere with the axle flange. I have not had much opportunity to investigate difference among the 6 lug years, but nothing has jumped out in my searches on NAPAonline for size comparisons. NAPA's site lists height, thickness and rotor diameter, so it's been helpfully, but no successful.

BTW - mine is also 4x4, so the front hub is attached to the rotor by pressing the studs through the rotor, into the hub.

I'm hoping to find that a certain range of years had a different rotor hat, but my digging has stopped of late.

Thanks,
Herb
Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #16
moose83772

well i will say this. i already tried the front rotors. took them to a machine shop. paid to have them turned. then realized how stupid i was because the hat of the rotor is about the same diameter as the axle. it wont work.