The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
COBALT

Time to take out the trailing arms... :P

Now that my front-end is almost done I gotta drop the trailing arms and put in new bushings + replace the panhard bar bushings, so I have to take the rear suspension apart.

What's the best way to do this? How do I unload the springs?Where should I start? I have a 10 bolt Corp. axle.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:53 PM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Here is how I did it, but it may not be the best method. It worked fine for me.

1. Unbolted and Removed Panhard bar.
2. Removed shocks
3. Unhooked E-Brake cables
4. Loosened top spring bolts
5. Loosened trailering arm bolts
6. Removed Axle u-bolts
7. Removed Axle
8. Removed upper spring bolts and retainer cups
9. Removed trailering arms
10. Let Lost Wages remove lower spring bolts!!

Good luck.

Get some WD and an impact wrench. Oh, and a few bandaids.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
Spoof

Its nice to have a couple types of jacks, a jack-all for lifting the frame and a floor style for supporting the trailing arms, and lifting them so you can get an impact on them if you have one.
To unload the springs support the frame, nice and sturdy, and they will hang slack, pop the bolts and the spring will come out with no danger since its not under pressure.
Much to my amazement I only had to cut two bolts when I took my rear suspension apart last week. Both the upper spring mount bolts wouldn't back all the way off.
I had been soaking all the bolts with Moov-it for a few weeks so AMAZINGLY the u-bolts, lower mounts and trailing arm mounts all popped with a breaker bar. I wasn't even sore the next day!!!
At the moment I am trying to drive out the trailing arm bushings, no go, so as suggested earlier burning them out works and is a lot of fun to boot.
Keep us posted.
BTW are you going to run new brake lines Cobalt? How bout emergency cables?
Where did you find the tie rod bushings? I looked can't get em' at my local parts place.

OOOOPs almost forgot, make sure you support your frame with some sturdy blocks and resist the temptation to stick your body and head in spots that will lead to crushing when things get wobbly.

Last edited by Spoof; 10-03-2002 at 05:15 PM.
Spoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:33 PM   #4
COBALT

I'm not going to run new brake lines until I convert to 1/2 ton suspension (5 or 6 lug pattern) and lower the truck later on. When I tore apart the front-end I literally took two big pieces of douglas fir that I split years ago, and sat both front wheel/brake drum/spindle assemblies on them, and left the brake lines connected. That way I could gain access to the shoulders the upper control arms go to, and clean the crap out of them. The back part of that yoke was SO dirty you couldn't see the brake lines running behind it. The dirt was at least 1" thick back there. It's clean as a whistle now.

I want the back to go the same way. I need to get the trailing arms out so I can drive in new bushings, so I'll probably inspect them, clean them and paint them too. If I can get away with leaving the brakes in tact, then that's what I'll do. I'd also like to paint the axle housing, but that's secondary to getting the bushings replaced.

BTW: I got a 3/4 ton front-end kit from Early Classic Enterprises. It came with:

1. Upper and lower control arm center bar assemblies (including bushings, grease seals, and grease fittings).
2. Upper and lower ball joints (including castle nuts, pins, and washers for the lowers + nuts and bolts for the uppers).
3. Inner and outer tie rods (including grease seals for the joints, and castle nuts and pins) -- What do you mean by bushings? The grease seals?
4. Tie rod adjustment sleaves to connect the tie rods.
5. Idler arm (including castle nuts and pins).
6. Pitman arm (including castle nut and pin -- but did NOT include new steering box nut and washers).
7. KYB Gas shocks for front and back.

Cost me a pretty penny though.

I had to clean and paint all the parts that had exposed steel that would rust (idler, tie rods, pitman, and upper and lower control arm center bars). I also had to buy new rubber bumbers for the upper and lower control arms, and I bought new U-bolts to hold the lower control arms in from NAPA.

I also wire scrubbed and painted the control arms (upper and lower), the springs, the spacers behind the upper control arm center bars, and the center connecting rod between tie rod assemblies, the idler and the pitman...
Seattle, WA.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
68_GMC_910
what would Neal do?

I know it's no secret, but I got one word... WD40! whenever I'm dealing with axles and the suspensions they're attached to, whether it be my quad or my Samurai, WD40 does all the work for me... when I don't use WD40, I'm breaking bolts all the time... when I do use it, The work is ten times faster. I've heard stories about a 70 year old man who took apart an entire 1940-something mercury that was sitting out in his field for years thanks to WD40... he just went out there everyday and sprayed every bolt down with it... by the day he was ready to restore it, there was no problems getting the whole thing apart...
Old 10-04-2002, 05:06 PM   #6
Spoof

Yes, I too was a devouted WD-40 fan until I came to see the light and started using Moov-it. I am convinced it is far better, but it's really hard to say at times?

Cobalt, If you need any 71 3/4 parts I'm getting rid of an entire rolling frame, wheels and all. Its even got the 4:10 Dana 60! I know your not too far away and its free! Front discs too.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:50 PM   #7
COBALT

I was a WD-40 guy when I started, but I found that Liquid Wrench (Gunk) works the best. It's wetting properties are way better than WD-40, and that's what you need. Just a little squeeze onto a stud with a nut on it, and the nut comes right off. I got my whole front-end apart with it, and the passenger side has never seen the light of day.
Seattle, WA.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:40 PM   #8
68 Stepside
huh?

I went from WD-40, to gunk, to PB Blaster, it's incredible compared to liquid wrench, IMO. Kroil is also awesome stuff.

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:37 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'll second the PB Blaster. you can get it at any NAPA>
I used to use WD40, but discovered that you could spit on the bolt and have the same out come.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
Shane
Account Suspended

Here is my ranking of pentrating oils......

Kroil - the best...but the hardest to find.
TriFlow - very good stuff-also a little hard to find
Liquid Wrench - also very good
WD-40 - will do when you don't have the any of the above.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote