The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
javadoc
Hey Watch this...

Got a bit done this weekend...

Well my dad drove over from Boise to visit for the weekend and we got some time to tinker with the truck. He's 68 and has messed with carb'd cars and trucks for decades... I'd have to say that he's old school. It was great to have him here to benefit from his knowledge base.

We went for a spin in the truck and he immediately says, "you need to adjust the carb. Can you hear it bogging a bit there when you push the accelerator down?" So we got out a screw driver and backed out the two screws on the front of the carb (mixture?) just a hair, and got the engine just purring. It's amazing how simple this is to work on, and by ear!

Next we installed a tach, on the steering column of course. Just an inexpensive Sunpro tach that I picked up at Autozone, but I thought it was a fitting addition. Again, simply amazed at how simple this truck is to work on, and find the right wires to tap. Luckily, my HEI conversion's distributor has a 'tach' tap on it too.

I wanted to swap out the suspension for the Belltech shocks and springs but we didn't get to that. I was curious as to what rear end the truck has because it seems like it revs really high. The tach was showing 46mph for 2000rpm though, so I wasn't sure I had a 4.11 rear end anymore. Old school method to check this is simple as everyone knows... jack up a wheel and spin it around twice, counting the revs of the drive line, and that's your rear end ratio. I counted just over 3.75 revs, so I guess it's a 3.77:1. I can live with that. I wish I had a useable first gear, instead of that granny though... someday.

I also used some spare Peel n' Seal to cover the gaping hole around where the steering column perfs the firewall. This really quieted the cabin down, while eliminating the experience of having the elements on my legs, be it hot air or raindrops. I'm planning on applying 2-3 layers over the entire floor of the truck, probably this winter.

I got a chance to take the truck out today after we'd messed with the carb a bit and it has a TON more pickup. I'm shocked at how much of a difference a small adjustment can make to that old 2bbl carb. Of course, I'm still thinking of putting a nice 4bbl on the truck when time/budget permits. I also have to figure out how to get the choke (it's manual) to stop sticking to the high-idle cam. Maybe a spring.

The truck's becoming more of a joy to drive all the time. I dare say it could be a daily driver once I get the suspension on, and new exhaust.

Last edited by javadoc; 10-08-2007 at 12:06 AM.
javadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
Stepside65
Still Truckless!

Re: Got a bit done this weekend...

Sounds like you made great progress with just a few minor adjustments. Cool
1997 Nissan Pickup Father-in-law's tonka toy I am forced to drive
Founder of The 60-66 Club

Tutor Et Ultor
Stepside65 is offline   Reply With Quote