The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Sound deadener alternative

Hey folks! I recently took the carpet out of my old truck I bought because it smelled something like greasey wool and rat urine. I hosed the carpet off and shampooed it as good as possible and now I am going to put it back in. I also took out the sound deadener in the front and washed it off too because it stunk as well. However we all no that when that stuff gets wet it just falls apart. I got it back in the truck in pieces but it is taking FOREVER for it to dry and it still has a smell to it. So I was thinkg about using this stuff:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...025&lpage=none

I was just going to use some spray adhesive and stick it to the back of the carpet. I think it will work just as good. I will also be using that foil insulation tape. I'm thinking I may double it up as well. Like put one layer on the carpet and another layer on the floor itself. Well do you all think it will work ok? I am broke so that is why I'm not just buying new stuff if anyone is wondering. Thanks for your time!
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Hazieview

Re: Sound deadener alternative

OH I forgot to mention. I am keeping that hard black insulated stuff in the truck. I didn't remove it because it is glued really good to the floor. I only removed the insulation stuff that is in front of the seat, you know where your feet go. That will be the part I am replacing with the product I showed you in the link. thanks again!

This is the adhesive I will be using along with some gorilla glue.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...er-77/Super77/

Last edited by Hazieview; 10-08-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
crawdad

It looks like a good heat barrier, but I would be a little leery about its sound deadening qualities. You never really know til you give it a try. I know you said you were broke, but here is an alternative in case you come into an inheritance or something. http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

thank you crawdad...Ive been looking for a cheap alternative as well...Im not broke, but I am stingy

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
Hazieview

What about this stuff? Anyone use it? Any good?

http://www.malloryracing.com/Product...&minselection=