The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Truck shuts off

I notice after I get on the freeway when I exit or finally come to a stop, my engine shuts off. It fires right back up and go's but it shuts off again at the next stop. When I drive on the street it does not happen as much.
I was told that this engine has a big cam and it was built for a manual tansmission truck. Not sure if that matters or not.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
71tahoe

Re: Truck shuts off

Do you have power brakes? The lack of engine vacuum may be contributing to stalling.

I've also seen some posts about loose wires in the distributor or fuel starvation so you may check those too.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
Do you have power brakes? The lack of engine vacuum may be contributing to stalling.
I've also seen some posts about loose wires in the distributor or fuel starvation so you may check those too.
No power brakes. I've had this problem since I had this engine installed almiost 10 years ago. I was told it was the Q-jet first then my old distributor need replacing so I bought an HEI
Old 10-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

[QUOTE=VDOG;2395822]I notice after I get on the freeway when I exit or finally come to a stop, my engine shuts off.QUOTE]

Does it die if you increase the idle speed adjustment also?

Most of the time when your engine dies when you come to a stop, it's an indication of fuel delivery (bad fuel pump), carburetor adjustment, idle control, or a vacuum leak.

Start with the easiest things first. In this case it would be idle control of some sort on the carburetor. Then look for vacuum leaks.

Check the carb gaskets, transmission vacuum modulator and hose, etc.

Check the fuel filters, fuel pump output and carb adjustment and vacuum hoses going to it.

Check the timing.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
71tahoe

[QUOTE=68gmsee;2395943]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
I notice after I get on the freeway when I exit or finally come to a stop, my engine shuts off.QUOTE]

Most of the time when your engine dies when you come to a stop, it's an indication of fuel delivery (bad fuel pump), carburetor adjustment, idle control, or a vacuum leak.

Start with the easiest things first. In this case it would be idle control of some sort on the carburetor. Then look for vacuum leaks.

Check the fuel filters, fuel pump output and carb adjustment and vacuum hoses going to it.

Check the timing.
Definitely check timing! I just swapped a cab to another frame and didn't touch the engine. I found my distributor should have been spinning like the possessed girl's head in the exorcist if it wasn't for the plug wires.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee;2395943=
Check the timing.
New fuel pum and filter as of last month. Carb just had the gaskets changed and been adjusted. Idle speed has been increased. Im thinking its vacuum related. Due to the fact that everything that has been suggested has been done. I will drive it today and see how it goes.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
wibilly

is it a newer engine with an egr valve on the intake? it sounds like a sticking egr to me
Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibilly View Post
is it a newer engine with an egr valve on the intake? it sounds like a sticking egr to me
No its a old engine,late 60's or early 70's.