The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
jplasse

Question Laying 57 Truck Flat on the ground

This will be on a 57 chevy stepside short box with running 18 or 20 inch wheels. I have built newer fullsize and mini trucks before so Im familiar with air suspensions and bodydrop's

I just picked up a TCI mustang II suspension kit (it ended up having coils) but I will be running air bags instead and had a few questions.

1. What will it take to get this truck rocker to lay flat on the ground? Does it require a Z because I rarely see one completely laying out.

I understand for the back I obviously need a notch and to raise the bed floor but I want to know what size notch so I dont over notch this for 20's.

Anyone have a picture of a 55-59 laying rocker/body?? Any help would be appreciated...

Great site too, Im new but have been lurking for awhile
jplasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
jplasse

Re: Laying 57 Truck Flat on the ground

anyone??? I know the porterbuilt truck has the c4 IRS but thats too much for me...

I will be using a ford 8.8 or 9 inch depending on what I come across and will notch out the back as much as necessary to get it down... TCI IFS for the front

Was hoping someone else had some input on this...
Old 10-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
Kontrol Phreaks

I built a 55 stepside for a customer when I owned my fabrication shop, SIC Motorsports. The frame had a Camaro front clip stubbed onto it which allowed the front crossmember to be slightly higher then the bottom of the frame rails. On your truck, the body should already be flush or slightly lower then the existing frame. Once you install the mustange II front clip, you should be able to lay body. You're just going to want to make sure that you set the front clip in high enough that that lower crossmember / lower control arm area is higher then the bottom of the frame rails.

Here's the truck that I built and is on 22" wheels. It lays the bed side step flat on the ground.

The rear end has a KP Components weld-on parallel 4 link kit with our weld on step notch. The front round tube crossmember also has down tubes that support the backside of the 4 link mount. The bridge cover was cut out with the 55 and flames. For rear suspension I used a KP Components cantilever conversion kit that allowed me to connect the 73-87 cantilever to the back of the axle.

Here's a better show with the notch section after it was painted. You can also see the new brake lines, painted rear end, along with the new paint on the rear chassis and bed sides.

I'd say it definately tucks those 22's pretty good out back !!

For air managment, I ran (2) Viair 400C comporessors inside the rear frame rails, and (1) long thin 5 gallon tank under each side of the cab, outside the frame rails. Souldn't see any of the air managment except the compressors inside the frame rails.

If anyone is interested, this truck is for sale and you can contact me for information to contact the owner about purchasing details.

Last edited by Kontrol Phreaks; 10-17-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Kontrol Phreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Kontrol Phreaks

It's not visable in the images above, however there's a round tube rear crossmember installed between the roll pan and fuel cell. The tube connects the rear frame rails together for support, and a safety bar to prevent fuel cell damage. There's also another tube that curves down off of it to provide a jack location so you don't have to slide the jack under the fuel cell, or you can still jack the truck when it's laid out in emergency situations.

Killer truck and I have always wanted to build another once even since I completed that truck.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited by Kontrol Phreaks; 10-17-2007 at 02:22 PM.
Kontrol Phreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 AM   #5
jplasse

WOW....

Thanks for the reply Clint... This was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Couldnt have detailed in any better and I love all the pics... Very clean setup.

You talked to my buddy Robert with the 72 Chevy on the phone today and sorry we couldnt swing it today to go by KP... People flaked on calling me back about that frame but we will for sure head down there one of these days.

I really appreciate the help on here and over the phone so far.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
jplasse

Now... does anyone have some front pictures of their tranny x-members and any mustang II installs?? Curious what any of you might have done
Old 10-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontrol Phreaks View Post
I built a 55 stepside for a customer when I owned my fabrication shop, SIC Motorsports. The frame had a Camaro front clip stubbed onto it which allowed the front crossmember to be slightly higher then the bottom of the frame rails. On your truck, the body should already be flush or slightly lower then the existing frame. Once you install the mustange II front clip, you should be able to lay body. You're just going to want to make sure that you set the front clip in high enough that that lower crossmember / lower control arm area is higher then the bottom of the frame rails.

Here's the truck that I built and is on 22" wheels. It lays the bed side step flat on the ground.

The rear end has a KP Components weld-on parallel 4 link kit with our weld on step notch. The front round tube crossmember also has down tubes that support the backside of the 4 link mount. The bridge cover was cut out with the 55 and flames. For rear suspension I used a KP Components cantilever conversion kit that allowed me to connect the 73-87 cantilever to the back of the axle.

Here's a better show with the notch section after it was painted. You can also see the new brake lines, painted rear end, along with the new paint on the rear chassis and bed sides.

I'd say it definately tucks those 22's pretty good out back !!

For air managment, I ran (2) Viair 400C comporessors inside the rear frame rails, and (1) long thin 5 gallon tank under each side of the cab, outside the frame rails. Souldn't see any of the air managment except the compressors inside the frame rails.

If anyone is interested, this truck is for sale and you can contact me for information to contact the owner about purchasing details.
Ahh good old 5Fizzle, too bad the owner is sellin it
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/459317925.html
Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

That truck is sick! Good luck on your build.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
jplasse

thanks... hopefully be gewttin started here shortly.