The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
71 3/4 ton

major electrical problems!!!!!!

try to understand this if you can
i have a 71 3/4 ton completely original
the front blinkers only work if you disconnect the back blinkers
and if everythings connected and you use the blinkers all the blinkers go instead of 1 side
and none of them work with my headlights on
this is a major problem and it is a daily driver so if i could get tips asap
thanks
71 3/4 ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: major electrical problems!!!!!!

Start with new bulbs in the rear... 1157 bulbs. They are cheap enough, that when they don't fix it, it's no big deal. (but if you don't replace them, you'll be running in circles for months)
Then, try running a good ground wire to the tail light buckets. I like grounding them under the 5/16 head bolt that retains the whole bucket to the bed.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
SunTzu

I was having similar weird problems on my 71, random blinkers working or not working. I took off the fuse panel from the firewall and discovered some shorting wires and what looks to have been a past electrical fire. While I was under the dash anyway I got some electrical parts cleaner and sprayed the fuse panel, if you do this disconnect battery first, I took out both the Hazard and Turn flashers from the fuse panel and cleaned off connections then reseated both. I also took apart and cleaned up connections on the headlight switch and the steering column harness (kinda "U" shaped plug under dash). I then took off the steering wheel and cleaned grime from the signal switch with the cleaner and a small brush (mine was from a gun cleaning kit, stiff toothbrush would work too) After doing all this I have reliable signals and lights. I am certainly no wiring GURU, just my recent experience, Hope it helps you some.

Good Luck,

Rob
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Old Chevy Mech
Keepin it runnin!

It could be a bad hazzard switch (believe it or not). I had no brake lights and as I fooled with the hazzard switch they suddenly worked! It seems to me that that whole turnsignal/brake light/hazzard lights circuit routes via the hazzard switch and as the switch gets older the metal that keeps the contacts touching properly fatigues and then strange things begin to happen.

Its at least worth a check.

Frank

"Liberty Means Responsibility, that is why most men dread it"
Old Chevy Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
dznucks

its going to be something minor. check out you headlight switch. a switch with bad connections will sometimes do this.
you might just have to chase wires. i would inspect the headlight and parking light wiring along the front clip.
also i have a complete factory wiring diagram that will help you trouble shoot it. i tried to upload it. if it didn't work i can email it to you.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
71 3/4 ton

thanks everyone who helped it turned out to be a missing ground wire from the frame to the bed
71 3/4 ton is offline   Reply With Quote