The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
lyrikz
PITbut

Where do i start???UPDATE 10/20 pics

UPDATE ON 10/20 with pics. GO FIND EM.

Im standing here, staring at the side of my truck.. Just holding my gloves, mouth open, figuring out what to do first. The door and fender is off. Im looking at the rocker panel, kick panel, and floor section. I need to replace/repair them... Where do i start? I have all the parts and tools.

Im thinking im just going to start on drilling the spot welds and go from there. IM really confused as to how im getting the rightside kick panel done. Its the lower corner where your feet go.. That area is rusted out.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by lyrikz; 10-20-2007 at 07:55 PM.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
BB72CHEVKT

Re: Where do i start???

Have a beer that always makes things easier to figure out!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
I think i have a plan.. Going to start just taking out spot welds... Rocker panel removal will be first. Then a section of the floor board, THEN i can get to the kickpanel area... Just overwhelming looking at this all together. I havent dont anything this major before. IM sure the first one will take a bit longer and the other side should be significantly easier.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
whatnow123

I was in the same exact boat when I bought my truck... standing there looking at it knowing that just about everything needed redone in one way or another, Original plan was to keep it mostly together and just do it a little at a time, so I pulled the gas tank (something about driving around with it behind the seat wasn't something I'd consider doing), so I yanked the seat out to get the tank, then the carpet was shot, so I pulled that as well while the seat was out, found more rust than I thought after I pulled the carpet and basically took the entire truck apart. Now I can basically point to every nut and bolt that I have not touched, which is about 10 I'm guessing.

Almost a year later and it's ready for paint and should be road worthy in a couple of months. Hopefully you don't need it for your daily transportation. The board here is good for motivation as well, because I found myself a few times wishing I didn't do what I'm doing, but then I get something cool and further along and that motivates me again.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094

Last edited by whatnow123; 10-18-2007 at 06:17 PM.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT View Post
Update. i removed the pass. side rocker panel. BOY was i in for a suprise. I found some more rust and i think this may be beyond my capabilities. I was worried about the rocker and kickpanel being to tough, now i find this. Here is what i found under the rocker.

Is this the piece i would need for that area?

As you can see, that piece is just absolutely GONE. On the underside of the truck you cant see any rust. What pice do i need to purchase to replace that area? I currently have the pass. side kick panel, the pass. side where your feet go, and a new rocker. Here is a pic of the bit that i used. Worked perfectly.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lyrikz; 10-20-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
jay6891
Car Knocker

The piece pictured is for the other side. But yes that is the part. Just keep going you are almost there. That part comes out just like the rest. drill out the spots, whats left of them and cut it loose. Buy your replacement part first so you will have a idea as to where to cut.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow123 View Post
so I pulled the gas tank (something about driving around with it behind the seat wasn't something I'd consider doing.
Sorry for the thread hyjack.....

Can you tell me what you replaced your in cab tank with and where you got it??
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
swamp rat

Re: Where do i start???UPDATE 10/20 pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
UPDATE ON 10/20 with pics. GO FIND EM.

Im standing here, staring at the side of my truck.. Just holding my gloves, mouth open, figuring out what to do first. The door and fender is off. Im looking at the rocker panel, kick panel, and floor section. I need to replace/repair them... Where do i start? I have all the parts and tools.

Im thinking im just going to start on drilling the spot welds and go from there. IM really confused as to how im getting the rightside kick panel done. Its the lower corner where your feet go.. That area is rusted out.

Wish me luck.
I feel your pain! I have the same problem, absolutly no training in body repair has me afraid to even buy the repair panels and starting!

I just found this forum 2 days ago, I'm hoping that by reading here I'll gain the knowlwdge I need to tackel my dream truck as well..
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay6891 View Post
The piece pictured is for the other side. But yes that is the part. Just keep going you are almost there. That part comes out just like the rest. drill out the spots, whats left of them and cut it loose. Buy your replacement part first so you will have a idea as to where to cut.
I just dont know what goes beneath that part?? IM going to order that part and then go from there. You see where that big rusty hole is, is that hole supposed to be there??? ahah....I really dont know what that area is SUPPOSED to look like.