The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
mckpaul

Front and back glass gasket questions..

I'm kind of confused (nothing new) about the front and back glass gaskets.

I have the what used to be so called chrome insert, and I know you can get black intead of chrome, but forgetting about the trim stuff for looks, I thought the gasket was actually two pieces. I thought there was a big...grommet for lack of a better word.. with a groove for the glass on the inside, and a groove for the metal frame on the outside, and still another channel to insert a rubber bead or rope (about as thick as your finger) to tighten it up. Or to reverse that, I thought you'd find where the ends of the bead meet up, pull one end out, and then pull it out of the groove all the way around to loosen the main seal to get the glass out.

I saw the thread about using a small rope to install the back glass, not talking about that, I thought there was a 'rubber rope' type insert behind that chrome trim in the gasket.

I went to the LMC site, didn't really shed much light on it. When I replace it, I don't want any kind of chrome, I just want black. I'm not sure if that means with no trim at all, or with black trim. Hoping some of you that have had the front and back glass out can provide some insight.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Front and back glass gasket questions..

The window gaskets are just one piece, that is grooved for the metal flange on the cab and also grooved for the glass to sit in. Once installed, you then put the trim piece in to make the tight set for the glass and the metal cab surface. There are metal corner pieces for the back glass so that the trim can be installed in two pieces and there is a metal peice that covers the open ends of the front glass trim piece.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
mckpaul

Re: Front and back glass gasket questions..

Thanks for the input. Makes sense now.

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote