The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Have you seen this - GM introduces small CID Diesels.

GM is now producing small cu in Diesels for use in 1/2 ton Silvarados and Hummers. The engine is a 4.5L and produces 310 HP and 520 TQ!!!

http://www.sedans.autoblog.com/2007/...the-hummer-h2/
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Have you seen this - GM introduces small CID Diesels.

I got less excited when I saw it was not a Duramax venture,but a sole GM effort.Then,pretty disappointed when I read it`s a V8.
I`d like to see a 6cyl Duramax in light trucks,including Tahoes,Suburbans,and vans.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
.... I`d like to see a 6cyl Duramax in light trucks,including Tahoes,Suburbans,and vans.
I agree. The big powerful v8 is catering to the big boys that do a lot of hauling and pulling, which I guess is what the trucks are made for, but I'd like to see an inline 6 diesel for the lighter commuter style vehicles...

Last edited by 68gmsee; 10-20-2007 at 10:48 AM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

I went and did some reading on this and low and behold it is a Duramax endeavor! It uses a 72 degree bank angle instead of the traditional 90 degree. It is designed to retrofit in any GM vehicle that currently uses the SB Gasoline engine. From what I read this is the first model in a whole new line of engines that will include a rumoured v10 version.
But I agree that the big V configuration is somewhat of a dying breed for the average consumer. I mean for 50 yrs. GM has been building what is essentially a Diesel-Electric Hybrid in their Locomotives....why not adapt this proven technology to the consumer market? A small 4, 5 or 6 cylinder TDI diesel coupled to an electric motor and battery pack?
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
ofnaman

I work for GM and still cannot figure out why they do not build a small 4 cylinder diesel for light trucks and cars. Volkswagen and volvo did it way back in the '70's and their cars were getting 50 mpg. I have even been considering putting a diesel 4 cylinder out of an Isuzu box van in my '70 pickup. I just do not understand what is up with the big diesel's in light trucks. Sure they have loads of power, but honestly, I see only a very small percentage of these trucks actually needing that much power. Why not offer 2 diesel options? I believe I know the reason, but that is an entirely different subject.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I agree,if large trucks run best on inline 6 cyls why can`t we run pickups on 4 bangers?Why not make an "Economy Diesel" option?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
68K20 x Drill

GM is not gonna go with less cylinders because it makes your vehicle rattle and shake too much. They are only 100 HP off the mark set by BMW's 4.5 diesel.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Boog
laying low

That is good news. Like many of you I have often thought GM and others needed a "good" smaller size diesel for the masses. Diesels are used way more in other countries. Albeit countries with less stringent emissions concerns. I am told VW quit selling it's TDI beetle in the US due to emissions levels. I do remember when VW's diesel Dasher regularly got 46 to 50 mpg and it was non turbo'd. I don't particularly care for the sound or smell of a diesel engine but could learn to live with it.
I see this story was posted back in June of this year. Wonder why it hasn't been all over the news? This is the first I've heard about it.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
chvtrkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I agree,if large trucks run best on inline 6 cyls why can`t we run pickups on 4 bangers?Why not make an "Economy Diesel" option?
special-k is right guys. There is a reason that Catapiller, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, and Mercedes all have inline 6 configurations for their heavy duty truck applications.
69 C-20 292, 4 spd O/D, 4:56 rears. No a/c p/s p/b p/w......restoration project,"Operation:Stovebolt"
78 C-10 305 TH350 new (old) daily driver
02 Suburban Z71 a.k.a. the family truckster
99 Silverado 1500 Z71
chvtrkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

The I6s in the big trucks are huge though. It's not how many cylinders they have it's the displacement. My motorcycle has 4 cylinders and is only 750CCs, but my friends Harley is about 1800ccs. Mine produces about 125hp, his about 102hp.

I know this is about truck engines but, the principle is the same. On that note, I'd like to see a diesel in a Burb..
Old 10-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
DavesRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68caliRat View Post
The I6s in the big trucks are huge though. It's not how many cylinders they have it's the displacement. My motorcycle has 4 cylinders and is only 750CCs, but my friends Harley is about 1800ccs. Mine produces about 125hp, his about 102hp.

I know this is about truck engines but, the principle is the same. On that note, I'd like to see a diesel in a Burb..
Put a Duramax in and drag race it, Put in a straight six Cummins in and tow the town off the map. The Duramx pulls yes but less. The Duramax is much quieter (under hood decibles) and I like that. It will also lay down rubber until you let up. Different torque values than the straight Cummins. The cummins is Bad Azz work truck made for pulling. I do not like to hear my engine knock at any point and time so diesels don't work for me. Hey my friends 1200 was behind until I missed gears on my 550 SuZi. Then I tasted the black smoke. Hey I don't care for 67 Ford trucks either. It's all a taste preference anyway.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
DavesRide

Please correct me if I say HEY a lot. I can't hear that well and I often talk louder than I mean to be.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
70cstjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
I went and did some reading on this and low and behold it is a Duramax endeavor!
you are mistaken my friend..Dmax ltd has nothing to do with the new 5.4. the 6.6 duramax is made in moraine ohio. and the new 5.4 will me made at the tonawanda plant in NY Dmax doesn't even own the name GM does..so they used the name duramax due to its following. and actually Isuzu has no ties to Dmax ltd anymore GM has bought the company out 100% and Isuzu no longer has anything to do with design or implication of the motor..and before you ask ive been working there for 5 years so i know all that lovely info

Last edited by 70cstjr; 10-20-2007 at 10:41 PM.
70cstjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #14
eedgell
It's the air up here

The inline makes more power per cube, and is more efficient on fuel. Plus last much longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chvtrkman View Post
special-k is right guys. There is a reason that Catapiller, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, and Mercedes all have inline 6 configurations for their heavy duty truck applications.

Never drink down stream of the herd!

Eric
eedgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
Dingfodgy

I stand corrected. It appears as Isuzu is completely out of the DMAX venture altogether.....but the technology and manufacturing systems are already in place, so theoretically whether the engine is built in Moraine or Tonowando is really a moot point as long as they are built to the design criteria, which is exclusive domain of the Duramax brand. Again, I may be talking out of my a$$ but doesn't GM still have a sizeable stake in Isuzu?
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Old 10-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #16
Dingfodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Diesels are used way more in other countries. Albeit countries with less stringent emissions concerns. I am told VW quit selling it's TDI beetle in the US due to emissions levels.
True the diesels do emit larger amounts of particulate pollution- namely carbon soot, as well as, sulfur dioxide. However Mercedes appears to have gotten a handle on that by introducing a Urea injection into the exhaust stream. Beats the f#*k outta me how the primary component of urine is supposed to help control diesel exhaust emission...but those krazy krauts have figured it out!

BTW, I wouldn't say that Europe has more lax environmental controls than the U.S., but they do run a crap-load of diesels over there. I think the fact that the average European drives about 1/5 the mileage the average American does is why they can get away with running the "dirtier" diesels. The total carbon footprint of each European is still much less then we Yankees.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Old 10-21-2007, 12:05 AM   #17
eedgell
It's the air up here

I am proud of my carbon foot print, and I hope it grows. You cant do business, or recreate, or eat beef without a carbon foot print. I enjoy all these things.

Never drink down stream of the herd!

Eric
eedgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #18
jfalesi

Diesels are getting cleaner and better. They have more low-end torque so are ideal for trucks. I6's also have lots of torque because they are usually undersquare, long-stroke engines. So take an I6 diesel and throw on a turbocharger and intercooler and voila, stump-puller extrordinaire.
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #19
jfalesi

Who knew that all you had to do was pee on your muffler? Put a hole in the floor and you can do it while driving. Well, you could pee on the exhaust manifold, anyway. Not recommended for the particularly well-endowed (ouch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
True the diesels do emit larger amounts of particulate pollution- namely carbon soot, as well as, sulfur dioxide. However Mercedes appears to have gotten a handle on that by introducing a Urea injection into the exhaust stream. Beats the f#*k outta me how the primary component of urine is supposed to help control diesel exhaust emission...but those krazy krauts have figured it out!

BTW, I wouldn't say that Europe has more lax environmental controls than the U.S., but they do run a crap-load of diesels over there. I think the fact that the average European drives about 1/5 the mileage the average American does is why they can get away with running the "dirtier" diesels. The total carbon footprint of each European is still much less then we Yankees.
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

...that dang urea,doing the job again.Now if we could just get cows to hold it until we could get a bucket before they dump it in the creek we could have better drinking water,too.I use urea to melt ice and snow instead of salt.It`s easier on concrete and the run-off fertilizes instead of kills.

Tim

Old 10-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #21
wibilly

i use it to write my name in the snow too