The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #1
1966C10

Starting Point

I have a 1967 Chevy C10 Long bed. I'm now in a postion to start my restore of this vehicle. My question is Where do I start. Do I start inside and work my way out to the body. I'm just not to sure. I was curious where each one of you started on your vehicles. Thank you for your time.
1966C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
dastuck

Re: Starting Point

I just went through the same thing a few weeks ago. I started my first resto. What i did was get the bed off first. Then took apart the front clip (front fenders, rad. support, etc). Then i unhooked anything from the cab to the engine and tranny and pulled both out as a unit. After that i removed the doors (i drilled 2 small holes in each hinge of my doors just large enough to get a finish nail or something like that to help with putting the doors back on and getting them aligned since they were before i removed them. Then i started inside the cab and started the gutting process. Once that is complete i removed the cab. Then front end suspension and and rear end. Make sure you have plenty of baggies and sharpies to mark everything you remove and take lots of pics. Good luck.
dastuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
wibilly

befor you tear it down i would sugest driving it as much as possableif it is an option. this will tell you what you like and dislike to help you put togather a plan for your build
Old 10-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Start with a tank of gas and a notebook.Then save up several thousand dollars.Buy a digital camera.Buy stock in the baggie company.Then as stated drive it until you have an idea of what you want to end up with.Use the notebook to take notes.Then tear the truck apart spend all the money you saved and about 30-50% more.Then wait until you have enough money to finish.
Well anyway that's what most wind up doing.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 10-21-2007 at 05:40 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Start with the motor and transmission. Get that all done and then you can go about the rest when time permits. This way you can drive it as you go.
Now if it's going to include the frame being all done then start where ever you want and have plenty of storage room and baggies as stated before.

If you plan on a full redo then just strip it totally down and start from the ground up.
Front end
Rear End
Frame
motor, trans
Bed or cab
front clip

You can't drive it until the bottom of the truck is done anyway so why bother with the interoir until the frame is rolling again.
This is my way of thinking anyway.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibilly View Post
befor you tear it down i would sugest driving it as much as possableif it is an option. this will tell you what you like and dislike to help you put togather a plan for your build
I totally Agree with this, Too many time's you see where The Build gets Started with out knowing what you got or want to end up with. I have been Guilty of This Myself & Wish that i had Taken more Time Getting to Know the Truck................

Good Luck, Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
1966C10

Thank you all for your input. I'm looking foreward to a great build.
1966C10 is offline   Reply With Quote