The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
swamp rat

Floor insulation pad??

I need to find a good quality sound deadening and insulation pad for my truck. I replaced the rubber floor mat about 10 years ago but didn't buy an underlayment pad, I used some cheep crap that I had at home to save money, as you may emgen its rather loud inside the cab with all the engine, exhaust and road noise.

I don't want to install any of the stick on dynomat or brush on stuff because i'm still wanting to do a frame off (someday) and have the cab sent out to be tanked to kill any rust.

I need something for under the floor mat, but also need something that will lay inder the the seat as well.

Is there any type of matt that I can buy to lay against the rear of the cab behind the tank?

Any advice or recomendations would be appreciated

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 10-22-2007 at 11:46 AM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Floor insulation pad??

I don't think there's going to be a pad or mat that's going to be a complete success. One thing you might try is jute style padding under the carpeting.

I tried the padded/insulated mat that I bought from a vendor. I even insulated the inside of the doors, but there was no noticeable difference in noise level.

These trucks were made for work and before stereo systems became an important addition. There was no reason for them to be quiet and they used a lot of metal. A lot of the noise is transmitted throught the doors, windows, pillars, columns, etc. And then there's the wind noise from the cab itself. No internal insulation whatsoever.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
WorkinLonghorn

I have what I believe is a stock truck from original owner and it has the vinyl floor covering and beneath that is a layer of whitish insulation stuff.If you want,I'll hobble out there and take a pic,but no- I don't know where you can buy this stuff.
I just noticed that Truck Stop has rolls of jute padding ($25) and rolls of flame retardant jute/fiberglass,and also entire sets of sound dadening stuff ($34)
www.truckandcarshop.com
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 10-22-2007 at 06:36 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I don't think there's going to be a pad or mat that's going to be a complete success. One thing you might try is jute style padding under the carpeting.

I tried the padded/insulated mat that I bought from a vendor. I even insulated the inside of the doors, but there was no noticeable difference in noise level.

These trucks were made for work and before stereo systems became an important addition. There was no reason for them to be quiet and they used a lot of metal. A lot of the noise is transmitted throught the doors, windows, pillars, columns, etc. And then there's the wind noise from the cab itself. No internal insulation whatsoever.
Thanks for your advice, what is Jute style padding like?? (<---- edit--I got it now, kinda like felt) never herd of the name before.

My truck only has a rubber floor mat, no carpet, and a thin foam like material under that, kinda like a thin peanut packing sheet of material, I think even a layer of carpet would help!

I know it will never be like a modern truck but I just need an improvement ..besides if ya saw my sterio in the truck you would laugh anyway!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 10-23-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
I have what I believe is a stock truck from original owner and it has the vinyl floor covering and beneath that is a layer of whitish insulation stuff.If you want,I'll hobble out there and take a pic,but no- I don't know where you can buy this stuff.
I just noticed that Truck Stop has rolls of jute padding ($25) and rolls of flame retardant jute/fiberglass,and also entire sets of sound dadening stuff ($34)
www.truckandcarshop.com
Thanks for the link, No don't go take a pic especially if you don't know where to get it..

I just figured out what Jute padding is Its what I called felt padding. any of what is in the link will be helpfull as the thin layer of what I put under the mat had none of the sound deadening or insulating properties as the stuff in the link.. its almost like a sheet of peanut packing material, kind of a foam sheet of sorts..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 10-25-2007, 12:48 AM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

Here's the sound deadening stuff (bottom of page;http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_028.html
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 10-25-2007 at 12:48 AM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 AM   #7
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Here's the sound deadening stuff (bottom of page;http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_028.html
The only thing that that peticular product does not specify is if its for a high hump or a low hump cab, guess a call to them is in order!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's