The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
fercho71

question abouth lowering la chata !!!!!!!!!

Ok guys as you see on my previous thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2417018
i am finally getting my truck this incomig saturday but i dont want to pass the oportunity to cut some coils and lower my truck right now its running on 16" rims and the tire size its 195/80r16 so what i want to do its get some smaller size tires i am keeping the rims so my question its the tire size shoul it be something like "195/60r16 please advise me and how many coils i need to cut to lowered like this the first picture its my truck and the second my wanabe
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
fercho71

Re: question abouth lowering la chata !!!!!!!!!

anyone out there that cant help me with this thread
Old 10-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
SIR
SIR

..first off...nice truck,you have a very good start there,as is normal all of us are on some kind of budjet,I would suggest leaving it alone and just drive it!.fix the small stuff that is wrong get it running good and start collecting parts for a build. springs,all the stuff you will need don"t cut your springs! if you take it apart you might as well do it right the first time.if you are going to do a "swap" of some kind you will need a parts hauler...right! think before you act don't act before you think!...most of all HAVE FUN!!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
NF65Fleetside

I kinda agree with SIR but at the sametime in the same boat as you...hell I want to even go your route as to just getting a "make-do" paint job right fast too. If you do go the cut route Id just take a coil off the front, I was told that we cant cut our rear springs due to them being tapered coils...so you might have to get them heated.
NF65Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
fercho71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF65Fleetside View Post
I kinda agree with SIR but at the sametime in the same boat as you...hell I want to even go your route as to just getting a "make-do" paint job right fast too. If you do go the cut route Id just take a coil off the front, I was told that we cant cut our rear springs due to them being tapered coils...so you might have to get them heated.
and what abouth the tire size what do you think the size should be broo?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #6
1966gmc
Why does it taste purple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF65Fleetside View Post
ZOMG!! Do not heat your springs.I did that on a couple of my rice burners when I was younger.The ride is horrible and it will eat thru tires like a mofo.
Everytime you heat springs,God kills baby kittens
1966gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
slepysal

HEY MAN I hope your ok with all those crazy fires , scary stuff . here is some info for you
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=JEEP

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
M1A1TankerTom

Hey slepysal...checked out that thread on the jeep springs. Sounds like it is worth checking out. I saw that you bought some of the springs on ebay and was wondering if you ever used them? If you did how did they work for you and do you have any pics of how low your ride was after the instal?
M1A1TankerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM   #9
rss396

Smile Re: question abouth lowering la chata !!!!!!!!!

I have cut springs and heated springs and never had a problem. Rear coil springs heat them. Front remove them and cut 1 to 1 1/2 coils take a little off the bump stops and there you go. You you don't have as much travel in the springs as you did before. Slow down don't drive like a fool. It does not change your alignment in the rear and very little in the front. Poor mans. Go for it!! Nice truck!! Roadster show?? If you want to compare your truck to the $30,000.00 trucks do it the expensive way. It's going to take you some time to save the money and no more trips to your buddies in Tijjunna. My two cents worth.
rss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
fercho71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rss396 View Post
I have cut springs and heated springs and never had a problem. Rear coil springs heat them. Front remove them and cut 1 to 1 1/2 coils take a little off the bump stops and there you go. You you don't have as much travel in the springs as you did before. Slow down don't drive like a fool. It does not change your alignment in the rear and very little in the front. Poor mans. Go for it!! Nice truck!! Roadster show?? If you want to compare your truck to the $30,000.00 trucks do it the expensive way. It's going to take you some time to save the money and no more trips to your buddies in Tijjunna. My two cents worth.
thanks broo for the advice
Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
slepysal

hear is the link of my befor/after pics. It gave me a bout a 3" drop, I like how it sits and it rides nice.Plus they cost me 20.00 . (5.00 + 15.00shiping)
No you cant expect to haul heavy loads, but keep your can keep your old springs for that.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=jeep

Last edited by slepysal; 10-27-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
Sam59
Flat Broke

i cut 2 1/2 off the front of my 63 c10 and it really is too much my front sits about 9 or 10 inches off the ground. if i were you i would cut 1 and 1 3/4 at most. i heated the back also, just get 2 jack stands and put the under the rear axle and set them to how much you want to drop it and heat it until it hits the stands and your good! hope this helps you out

Last edited by Sam59; 10-27-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Sam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 AM   #13
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Here's how my 63 sits with 2 rounds cut off the front coils and older Chevelle springs in rear....
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 AM   #14
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Hey Fecho...I just got you PM...I was having the phone service switch at my home, and those a$$holes took forever to switch my DSL.

Anyway, as a rule of thumb...on any GM vehicle I have done in the past, I have always cut 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns off of the front. This usually set the front at a perfect height. Even when a customer would come in and say..."I want the front slammed !!!!"....I would still cut only 1 3/4....and they would be like..."wow, that looks good !! "

There is still enough adjustment in the front to realign....also, you can install low-profile bumpstops or remove the entire bumpstop mount from the lower a-arm, and then install a stud-type 1"er on the a-arm. By doing this, you will regain you suspension travel. Also, shorter shocks might be required with this mod.

As far as the rear is concerned....changing out the rear coils would be the best bet. The spring that Slepy mentioned is a great choice.

However, I have been heating springs for a long time, and If done correctly....(I know, I know what is correct about heating springs...).....then you wouldn't have a problem. Most issues I have seen, are people will heat the springs in the middle of the coil a bit, then stop. This will, overtime cause a sag. When I used to do it.........I heated at the bottom, and applied heat untill the 2nd coil would rest on the lowest coil and stop. This keeps the sag to a minimal, if any at all.

Keep in mind the rear-coils can also be cut...however you would have to fab up a spring locating cup on the frame side of the coil.....a round pipe (spring ID, welded to a plate, and bolted to frame)

Hope this helps man...

So the choice is yours.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #15
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
HEY MAN I hope your ok with all those crazy fires , scary stuff . here is some info for you
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=JEEP
Hey Sal...what ever happened to that Marine...is he still on here under a different name, or what ??

He was cool...he wanted me to ship him some hydro parts, but never heard from him again.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #16
slepysal

hey John , I think he got banned, He had a little go around wiyh one of the addmins Yea he was cool. So how is going ?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #17
fercho71

thanks guys i think i will go with the jeep coils on the back and cut 1 1/2 of the front and see how it looks right now its still on tj i have some electrical problems and will get it on Monday i will post some pics latter thanks guys !!!!!!

Fer
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 PM   #18
M1A1TankerTom

hey thanks for all the help Slepysal, I just scored a set of 2002 wrangler springs off of craigslist for the great price of FREE!!! Yup...the guy is even local so I can just pick them up. Thanks for all the info, when I get them in I will have to post results.
M1A1TankerTom is offline   Reply With Quote