The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
jlaird

Post pics of frames!!!

I need color ideas. I want to do a black frame, but thinking about an accent colors for 4-link bars, a-arms, etc. I was thinking about doing a dark grey frame, but I'm scared when the time comes when I have to modify or fix something, then I cant grab some black paint and touch it up...

Heres some ideas:
Attached Images

Last edited by jlaird; 10-28-2007 at 06:21 PM.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

Re: Post pics of frames!!!

Here is mine, metalic siver w/clear.

I was going for the silver and black theme. Springs/bags are black, block will be black, but the heads will be the same silver, and so on and so. As far as having to fix stuff after modding, my coater dosent charge me much for touch ups. They just sand the area not the whole part, and touch it up with powder and clear powder. Have had it done on my tubes already. In the pics the frame dose not have it's clear yet, but the arms do. I recomend clear. The frame looks dull, but once the clear is on it just sucks the light in, and it looks totally different.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
boonedogs72

like the grey. what color is the truck going to be?
boonedogs72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 AM   #4
71Dragtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb72 View Post

I was going for the silver and black theme. Springs/bags are black, block will be black, but the heads will be the same silver, and so on and so. As far as having to fix stuff after modding, my coater dosent charge me much for touch ups. They just sand the area not the whole part, and touch it up with powder and clear powder. Have had it done on my tubes already. In the pics the frame dose not have it's clear yet, but the arms do. I recomend clear. The frame looks dull, but once the clear is on it just sucks the light in, and it looks totally different.
What brand are your front arms?
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
jlaird

Quote:

Very nice frame! Looks perfect. So powdercoat can easily be touched up? And you should clear powdercoat? Never heard of that before.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
jimmydean

A friend of mine had his K5 frame powedercoated yellow and it was awesome. It was double coated using Cardinal Safety Yellow and it was bomb proof.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
impala_631
:( BYEBYE :(

how bout some booger green with black

impala_631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Dinos63
chevy only

porterbuilt,frame
Attached Images

Dinos63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
porterbuilt,frame
nice, but looking for frames with paint, powdercoat, etc...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Everything on my frame / suspension, with the exception of the leaf springs is sandblasted and powdercoated satin black. Can't go wrong with black as they say. Your comment "grab some black paint and touch it up" says it all. I have had to paint and/or touch up a number of parts and it's real easy to match or cover up with a satin black spray bomb. The trouble that I see with sending it back to the powdercoater for a touch-up is that once the vehicle is assembled it becomes a lot more difficult.
Attached Images

1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #11
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

Right now it is slotted to be tangerine pearlcoat w/ gold pearl ghost flames. The tangerine is not going to be bright orange, but in the middle of orange and copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedogs72 View Post
like the grey. what color is the truck going to be?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 PM   #12
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

Those are CPP, and are possibly for sale. I might need to go with ART arms due to switching to a DROPMEMBER mid build. IF anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck View Post
What brand are your front arms?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

Yeah, like I said he will just sand the area and blow more powder. The clear is also a powder, not a paint clear coat. What looks really cool is a nice piece of billet with clear powder. My guy has a whole bunch of samples of different metal with just a clear on them. They look really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Very nice frame! Looks perfect. So powdercoat can easily be touched up? And you should clear powdercoat? Never heard of that before.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

That is the other nice thing about powder over paint. Harder to scratch and you can bang it with a hammer and it wont break or chip. Now a did say hammer and not a sledge so do not quote me. I have only done damage with my grinder and cut off wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
A friend of mine had his K5 frame powedercoated yellow and it was awesome. It was double coated using Cardinal Safety Yellow and it was bomb proof.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

That frame would great with just a coat of clear on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinos63 View Post
porterbuilt,frame
Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
jlaird

Quote:
That is the other nice thing about powder over paint. Harder to scratch and you can bang it with a hammer and it wont break or chip. Now a did say hammer and not a sledge so do not quote me. I have only done damage with my grinder and cut off wheel.
So it is safe to drill holes for plumbing fasteners, etc. AFTER the frame has been powdercoated? no worry about chipping when you drill through it?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #17
jlaird

Here is a quick drawing of what I'm thinking on color. Not quite sold on the two-tone yet though. It is a black over a dark silver or metallic grey.

So I was thinking the frame black, and a-arms, 4-bars, etc dark grey OR vice versa with dark grey frame and black arms and other suspension pieces...

what do you think?
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2007, 11:06 AM   #18
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10-Driver View Post
Everything on my frame / suspension, with the exception of the leaf springs is sandblasted and powdercoated satin black. Can't go wrong with black as they say. Your comment "grab some black paint and touch it up" says it all. I have had to paint and/or touch up a number of parts and it's real easy to match or cover up with a satin black spray bomb. The trouble that I see with sending it back to the powdercoater for a touch-up is that once the vehicle is assembled it becomes a lot more difficult.
I have a question about the satin black powder. It is as durable and scratch resistant as the standard gloss black?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
So it is safe to drill holes for plumbing fasteners, etc. AFTER the frame has been powdercoated? no worry about chipping when you drill through it?
No, it can chip away just like painted surfaces so you need to treat it the same as paint. If there's a spot for moisture to get under the film of powder, it will surface rust & lose adhesion just like paint.

The 'test' of it surviving a hit from a hammer is impressive..... but doesn't mean squat. When was the last time a rock that bounced up & hit the bottom side of a truck had rounded edges? Hit that powder-coated surface w/a pick hammer & I bet the results are different. I know first hand because I had bumpers powder coated.

It will chip just like paint does, just not as easily.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #20
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

It would be the same as paint, Mask the area and drill thru the tape slow.

Quote:
Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 PM   #21
jasonb72
PorterBuilt Man Crush

I totally agree, my point was that it is a little more forgiving when assembling stuff that it won't scratch or chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
No, it can chip away just like painted surfaces so you need to treat it the same as paint. If there's a spot for moisture to get under the film of powder, it will surface rust & lose adhesion just like paint.

The 'test' of it surviving a hit from a hammer is impressive..... but doesn't mean squat. When was the last time a rock that bounced up & hit the bottom side of a truck had rounded edges? Hit that powder-coated surface w/a pick hammer & I bet the results are different. I know first hand because I had bumpers powder coated.

It will chip just like paint does, just not as easily.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #22
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Quote:
I have a question about the satin black powder. It is as durable and scratch resistant as the standard gloss black?
I haven't got anything to compare it to but I would say it should be. Keep in mind what I call satin may be considered gloss by some poeple because it is quite glossy just not as much as a polished black paint job (if you know what I mean).

As far as your question about drilling holes, I drilled plenty through my powdercoated parts. I didn't tape it off... just drilled an 1/8" pilot hole and whatever size up from there that I needed. Never chipped on me once. The only coating that came off was under the drill bit. When I was done drilling the holes, I used one of those small touch-up paint products that apply with a little brush to cover the "exposed" metal inside the hole. My powdercoater did put the powder on pretty thick though (close to 1/8" thick). I'm not sure if everyone would apply as much product as what I have on my frame. The other thing with powdercoating (or any coating for that matter) is to make sure the surface is clean before it is coated. I had my frame sandblasted twice... First before I did my fabrication and modifications, then again on the way to the powdercoater.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote