The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Cab Bushing bolt snapped

My passenger side lower cab bushing was shot, so I ordered a new bushing, bolt, and retainer. Luckily, there is a rot hole in my floor, directly above the bolt so I was able to spray penatrating oil on it every day this past week. Well it obviously didn't help any because the head of the bolt snapped right off! Now I am stuck and I can't get the rest of this weak bolt out. Any ideas?
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Cab Bushing bolt snapped

how about applying heat from a propane torch on the nut then using a vise grip from underneath
you could also spray the penetrating oil from below
another option is to drill out the bolt from above hollowing out the center some ( as much as you can without damaging the threads of the nut
the last option is to cut out the floor support and replace it but that is kinda extreme

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
chevymotocross

Unfortunately, there is nothing to grab on to from the bottom, it snapped flush. The bolt is still there at the top, but since the bolt is surrounded by a small box, you can't even get a vise grip in there. I think my only solution is to drill out the bolt. If I damage the threads where the bolt goes through, I will just use the new bolt, nut, and washer.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
chevymotocross

After my lunch I think I am actually going to thread on, and weld a nut. This way, I can hopefully take the bolt out from the top.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
68K20 x Drill

If you drill it with a reverse rotation bit, it might yank out, but I've had good luck with nutwelding too.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars

Last edited by 68K20 x Drill; 10-29-2007 at 04:55 PM.
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Let us know how it goes hey if ya make this one easy ill bring ya my truck to do! KIDDING

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote