The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 AM   #1
DESTRO

I need fender to door gap tricks

I am reinstalling the front clip after replacing the core on my 77. The problem is the drivers door to fender gap. everything is still loose but the top looks to be fine but the bottom is out like 3/4 to 1 in. The door is closing fine and it's aligned good. the passenger side is almost perfect. Any tips would be appreciated.
DESTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Re: I need fender to door gap tricks

[EDIT] Just realized you said the BOTTOM of the fender!!

Ratcheting tie down strap hooked to the front bed mount and the back fender mounting bolt. Tighten the strap until the gap is a little smaller than you want it. Then tighten all the fender bolts down.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL

Last edited by Mickey_D; 11-01-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Arrow Re: I need fender to door gap tricks

That's alot of space i don't think the strap trick will work before something gets damaged or buckles.

You said you replaced the core support the problem may be there id look at both mount spacer, rubber bushing, washers for proper sequence.

And was this a new, aftermarket, or used core support? it could be bent or twisted and you may not be able to notice it.

If you know for a fact that the core support is good then you may want to un do everything and start over but align the problem side first and work from side to side.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

could the top be a bit too low raise the top up with a spacer or two and see if that helps bring the thing in
the other thing i tend to do is to put the back part by the door on first and snug that down some then i use the strap to allign the front of the thing by the core support. i have a big pole in the ground i hook the other end to

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
copperchevy

Was the truck wrecked. If not, your core support may be a little pushed in or leaned back on the drivers side. Measure from the firewall to the top of the core support to get the same measurement as the other side. Also, tightening the core support bolts first might help.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 AM   #6
DESTRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 STEPPER View Post
If you know for a fact that the core support is good then you may want to un do everything and start over but align the problem side first and work from side to side.
I will try this saturday. Thanks for all the tips.Never thought of the ratchet strap. Keep the tips coming.Can't touch it till sat. but all knowledge gained till then will only help.
It's a repo core and the truck hasnt been wrecked as far as I know. It's just got me baffled since the only place out is the bottom of the drivers door. top is real close and pass.side is pretty good. I do have the core snug, would it be easier to have that torqued down? Also I forgot to mention it has a 3in body lift and that probably aint helpin matters any.
Thanks for all the info and future info.
DESTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
copperchevy

The type of core support bushings you are using might be the problem. New bushings tend to be too tall than original. I had similiar problems when i changed my frontend. I ended up buying a energy suspension kit that included new core support and body bushings since the originals where worn out. Adding a spacer to the front body mounts might help.

Last edited by copperchevy; 11-02-2007 at 03:52 PM.
copperchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #8
bigtruck81

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperchevy View Post
Adding a spacer to the front body mounts might help.
adding a spacer will make the problem worse, if it will line up at all. i would loosen the fender to cab bolts, and completely remove the core support to fender bolts. adjust thefender to cab bolts to where they need to be, tighten them down, then go about reinstalling the core to fender bolts.
bigtruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
copperchevy

adding a spacer will make the problem worse, if it will line up at all. i would loosen the fender to cab bolts, and completely remove the core support to fender bolts. adjust thefender to cab bolts to where they need to be, tighten them down, then go about reinstalling the core to fender bolts.
11-02-2007 03:47 PM

That is another way of doing it, but to me it seems like his core support may be sitting alittle too high causing the fender to go downward from the core support to the cab. That would cause the gap at the bottom of the door. Also, the 3" body lift may be a problem and shimming it might help.