The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
ccd3

'Fess Up Speed Demons

This always seems to happen to me: Driving to work on the I-35 access road- stop at a red light and a yahoo in a new (usually Dodge Ram) pulls close and does the "jump". 20 years ago i would have given him the nod and gripped the wheel- but I'm old, I have braces to buy for the kids, and i usally have a bunch of cr*p in the pickup bed from Home Depot.

My truck is pretty-much stock looking- it does have a somewhart lopey cammed idle-(has the GM Crate 330 HP long block under the hood) Even though racing days are over, I wonder.. how would she do against a 4 door Dodge Hemi Pickup...

Hooking up would be a problem, but a good romp of the right foot will put my speedometer at 3 o'clock PDQ.

My questions- to you you guys younger and braver: What have you squared-up against at a red light. How did you do? Think my old '71 would have schooled that ole hemi?
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: 'Fess Up Speed Demons

Your 71 weighs 1000lbs less. Youd have hammered him. You showed good restraint though.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
dave3156

I could not have resisted the temptation. You would have taken him. They are very slow off the line. Especially if it was a 4X4.
dave3156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
streetstar

why do the "hemi people" all think they are driving vipers or something.

I agree, you would've showed him your taillights
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

I agree, especially off of the line... if'n you can keep the shoes from burning up.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

My uncle refers to those new Hemi’s a itsy bitsy hemi’s.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
HotGMC

Hemi's.. well atleast the NEW hemi's i heard cause a lot of problems and are nothing like they used to be.

I have raced a few friends i kept up with my friend in his 05' single cab chevy, he had some exhaust mods but thats about it. i would have been ahead of him had it not been for my weak ass tranny. i need a new turbo 350, that would be SWEEET

and i kept up with a 05 tundra crew cab. no to shabby for a 30+ year old truck if i do say so myself
HotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
space

I don't have any stories yet, but I will after I get my 383 in this weekend. Next week I'll be running a 05 Denali with an STS turbo, meth injection, intercooler, etc running 12lbs boost. We'll see how that one works out.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
caminokid
Chevy nut

I may have done it...but I got my last ticket in 88...137 in a 45. Kinda stopped me from doing that too much.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

I definitely take after my dad. He used to have a 1970 GTO Judge with the 455 and Hurst shifter. Lets just say its in my blood.

My truck is tall, but still hooks up great. My speedo doesnt work right now, and i have NO idea how fast Ginger will go on the highway. Honestly, im scared to open her up all the way. I know that cruising down the highway at 80mph i am at a little less than half throttle, but im not sure what that means.

I think i really need to get on a straight track and have someone clock me before ill do it. And i will need a reserve of cash to pay for the repairs!
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #11
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

Doesn't it suck to get older and feel more responsible.
fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastom View Post

i dont feel much more responsible i just feel the aches and pains a lot more then 40years ago

i'm looking at buying a sleeper to blow off blowmaster hotrodders when i finally get the setelment i've been waiting on for close to 15years it should be final in less than 4months
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

So, now it's the hemi's??

I bought a VW new in '71. Put an extractor on it and a set of EMPI wheels. I am still amazed at the numbers of folks who picked on us VW folks and wanted to race. Oh, a lot of VW folks (a-hem....) would pick on anything to race....(I shall remain nameless).

In '65, I was attending college and had a '56 Mercury. The torque convertor had three tabs, each with two bolts, that attached it to the flywheel. Anyway, a minute amount of slack in those tabs generates a huuuuuuge amount of clanging at an idle. Soooooo, I'd hold the brake pedal down and give it a little gas so I could avoid the embarassing clanging noise. Remember, this was at a time when '56 Mercs WERE NOT cool cars. I had numerous folks think I was "jackin' it up" and we were off to the races. That old Merc weighed 4410 lbs, but it would fly!! Wish I had it back....still got the skirts and ignition key....but no car.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
HotGMC

SOmeone else who appreciates the LED SLEDS!
HotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
herb101
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
why do the "hemi people" all think they are driving vipers or something.

I agree, you would've showed him your taillights
I think it's the marketing that Dodge is doing. It hypes the HEMI to God-like status in the redneck mind, but it is FAR from it. There is not even any design relation to the original HEMI and the chambers are not even hemispherical! It's all a marketing buzz word.

I was amazed at how many of them would try my Lightning (when I had it running). Those trucks are lucky to be in the 14 second zone with mods and they were challenging my truck, which at the time was a solid 12 second runner. They would lose, get pissed and rant about it or quickly take the first exit. The nice thing about it was that I could accelerate up to the speed limit, beat them and just coast. I guess I could still have been nailed for "exhibition of speed" or "acceleration contest" or something similar, but I wasn't 'speeding'

Herb
herb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #16
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

Redneckgirl said the other day that my 95 SS impala was WAY faster than a 3 series BMW....I usually keep the top speed under the limit, but I haven't seen anything at a red light yet that I cannot pull a wholeshot on...
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #17
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

A 95 SS .. that's pretty much a cop car with leather seats, isn't it?
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #18
ccd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb101 View Post
I think it's the marketing that Dodge is doing. It hypes the HEMI to God-like status in the redneck mind, but it is FAR from it. There is not even any design relation to the original HEMI and the chambers are not even hemispherical! It's all a marketing buzz word.

I was amazed at how many of them would try my Lightning (when I had it running). Those trucks are lucky to be in the 14 second zone with mods and they were challenging my truck, which at the time was a solid 12 second runner. They would lose, get pissed and rant about it or quickly take the first exit. The nice thing about it was that I could accelerate up to the speed limit, beat them and just coast. I guess I could still have been nailed for "exhibition of speed" or "acceleration contest" or something similar, but I wasn't 'speeding'

Herb
If the guy were in either a Lightning or one of those old GMC Typhoon? I'd have to flash the "I'm not worthy" sign... Scary stuff to have all that torque hit the pavement with barely a "squeek" on the tires. One minute they are next to you- the next minute they are at the next light.

thanks for all the comments... After my 3rd beer or so at poker-night, I'll spin the story how I not only raced the guy and embarrased his $35,000 truck, but I also danced with his wife all night and taught his son to throw a curve-ball.

Thanks Guys!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

What....no slider??? You just ain't got it, have you???

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #20
chevy72blu

With a little throttle modulation would would have gotten the yellow light, easilly. Back when I was running a 355 SBC with a Comp 272 and Vortec heads (around... 350-375 horse), I would constantly get revved by Power strokes, Hemi's, Duramax's... the whole gambit. The only one that ever beat me was at the track in which Cummins turbo diesel left me in a cloud of black smoke before busting off a mid 12.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #21
Jerry Jones
Happy Camper

thanks for all the comments... After my 3rd beer or so at poker-night, I'll spin the story how I not only raced the guy and embarrased his $35,000 truck, but I also danced with his wife all night and taught his son to throw a curve-ball.

Thanks Guys![/QUOTE]

Old 11-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #22
ccd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastom View Post
The older we get, the faster we were
Old 11-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
shortbed70

4 Yrs ago I pulled up at a light 24 at the time and my 65 chevy had a 4.56 geared rear. Well I'm minding my own buisness when a guy in a vette pulled up and reved it well long story short we both got pulled over just through the stop light me for BREAKING traction as the cop said and him for instegating a race. Neither one got a ticket but the cop liked the show sitting at the light.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #24
gmc67swb

Have the same motor in mine.... (with a loaf of bread on top...lol...)They are very strong for a crate motor ...i think you would have taken him...Only thing now you'll never know....lol...But you did the right thing-keep the racing at the track not on the streets....Damn did i say that must be getting old to......lmao
Old 11-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #25
67shortie
Green club

Man, this very thing is in my blood too. I have lined up against (and mostly take 'em too)

New M3's (once in a situation over mid tripple speeds, not proud)
stage somethingorother SRT-4's
SRT-8's
New GT Mustangs
C5 Vettes
LS1 F bods
Cobras
STi's
EVOS

This is in my GTO though, man I would love that LS2 in the truck.

The Chevelle is another one, last time was against a 66 HEMI Charger, brand new 460 horse crate engine. He got me, man those 235/70's don't hook worth a dang on the street I did have it at the track one or twice, worst losses came up against a newer Porcshe Carrera track prepped turbo. Well, I beat him to half track, and then he would blow by be and pull many cars on the old gal. I think he was running in the mid 11's at 128 or so. Another was a AMG S65 with mods, he was running mid 11's at 130. He had the AC on and listening to Motzart. I pulled 110, oh well it was fun...

The truck? with the 170hp 305 V8 in there now the only thing I am beating is people on bikes (pedal kind)

Son you are going to drive me to drinkin if you don't stop drivin that hot rod lincoln
67shortie is offline   Reply With Quote