The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
SulphurDave

What do ya'll think?

I took some measurements for wheels/tires and come up with this. These are rough measurements but it's pretty close. It makes sense though because I had a wheel on there a while back that had a 6" back spacing and the rim was about 2" away from the outside of the leaf spring. I'm running a Ford 9" rear end so that's why it more narrow. Sorry for my quick drawing that might not be exactly to scale but you get the idea. From this, if I wanted to run a 20" x 14" wide wheel I'd need a 6" back spacing. I'd imagine that would need to be custom built. And that doesn't leave me much room for tire buldge or at least as much as I think I want. I want a good amount of tire back there (no low pros) with about a 31" tall diameter tire. So am I limited to a 12" wide wheel or could I get away with a 14" wide wheel and still have room for some tire buldge (section width)?

Last edited by SulphurDave; 11-03-2007 at 01:03 AM.
SulphurDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
Moostifer
a fool with no money

Re: What do ya'll think?

If I looked at that right, you're only leaving 1" between the rim and the fender lip. you're wanting to run a tire with a 5"-5.5" sidewall height (20" rim w/ 31" tire). You didn't mention the TIRE width, but I assume it will be a little wider than the rim to look right. I think that the first turn you take at speed, you're going to shred the sidewall of a very expensive tire. I would go with a 12" rim and a 5" backspacing. just an opinion from a guy who spent hours and hours measuring everything several times in order to stuff as much meat under there as I could

before, during and still during
http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/truck/

http://photobucket.com/albums/y251/moostifer/motor/
Moostifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
SulphurDave

Originally I was gonna go with a 15x12 with a 14.5" section width and 31" tall diameter drag radial back when I was going for more of a pro street setup. I wanted Weld ProStars but they don't make a 5x5 bolt pattern anymore. I have 5x4.5 on the rear though. Plus now I wouldn't mind going with a more stylish pro touring setup with 20x? deep dish wheel on the rear.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Slammed '87

I just bought some older used Budniks off Ebay, 17 x 8.5" front and 17 x 11" rear with (respectively) 245/45/17 and 335/35/17 Michelin rubber. The rear rims have a 3.5" backspacing as the previous owner had a F. 9" rear end too. As you can see from the first pic, just so you have more of an idea of what you're looking at, they looked just right with the amount of lowering he had.

He now has a newer style 20" rim and tires. (see pic 2-4) I dunno what they are or have any specs for ya, but i know they are available. Most bigger companies like Budnik, Billet specialties, Colorado Customs ect, offer 20 by 12 or 14" rims with custom backspacing, for ummmm a special price lol. I could ask more info from him if you want, or maybe could set you up to contact him if you need more info? Hope this helps some.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
Slammed '87

I dunno if you have seen this truck, and again i don't know the spec's on it other than it has DEEP dish 20's or 22's in the rear. I know you also said you didn't want lo pro's but this is just to give you an idea of what yours could look like, hehe. Something like these wheels and tires would look tight on your truck! imo.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Those look like Billet Specialties wheels that appear to have been custom made.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-05-2007 at 12:26 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #7
Slammed '87

i don't think they are, they don't even look close, are you drinkin again Ken, lol, Kidding!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
Slammed '87

i like those tho!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
SulphurDave

See I could do something like this but with a little bit more tire. Yea I'd like to chat with this guy about the wheels. Is he on this board? Thanks for all these pics. I think I'm sold on doing this.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
SulphurDave

See I'd like a little bit more tire like this. It has some good sidewall, good tread pattern, aggressive and doesn't look too much like low pros to me.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulphurDave View Post
See I'd like a little bit more tire like this. It has some good sidewall, good tread pattern, aggressive and doesn't look too much like low pros to me.
Mickey Thompsons.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #12
SulphurDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostifer View Post
If I looked at that right, you're only leaving 1" between the rim and the fender lip. you're wanting to run a tire with a 5"-5.5" sidewall height (20" rim w/ 31" tire). You didn't mention the TIRE width, but I assume it will be a little wider than the rim to look right. I think that the first turn you take at speed, you're going to shred the sidewall of a very expensive tire. I would go with a 12" rim and a 5" backspacing. just an opinion from a guy who spent hours and hours measuring everything several times in order to stuff as much meat under there as I could

So do you think this looks better? Yes I'm wanting a 31" tall tire with some tire buldge so I want the tire to be wider than the rim. Or at least like the picture above. So what would be the tire specs? I'm ready to order these custom built wheels and order tires now. I heard it takes 6 weeks to get wheels made like that. I'm impatient lol. Now.. to decide on what style wheel I want. What's a good lookin wheel? I've been out of the wheel/tire scene for a long time lol. I also need to buy lowering components for a 4" drop in the front to be ready for when these wheels/tires come in.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
jokersbowtie

see if this helps

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Last edited by jokersbowtie; 11-12-2007 at 10:40 AM.
jokersbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #14
trixter99
I have no time for this

I would love to see more pics of the whole truck with the Mickeys on it.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport

Last edited by trixter99; 11-12-2007 at 11:21 AM.
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
mckpaul

Well I don't have any helpful input on tires, but I had to show your post to my significant other. She gives me a hard time about being anal and researching and coming up with measurements and plans and sketches like that, even been known to use AutoCAD for some small silly project.

Anyway, was good to say "See! I's not just me! There's other people out there in the world that do things that way too!"

1984 Chevy C-10
*LWB/305*
mckpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #16
streetmaster42

WOW what size were those Mickeys, they are smokin
streetmaster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #17
SulphurDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckpaul View Post
Well I don't have any helpful input on tires, but I had to show your post to my significant other. She gives me a hard time about being anal and researching and coming up with measurements and plans and sketches like that, even been known to use AutoCAD for some small silly project.

Anyway, was good to say "See! I's not just me! There's other people out there in the world that do things that way too!"
lol yea, i'm a graphics designer and own a small sign business so i did that in corel draw just to get a good visual instead of keeping it all in my head. i also use illustrator and flexi-sign pro.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #18
collin86

i just bought a pair of those mickeys for my project truck. i have some 29x18x20. they are sweet they are getting mounted on some boyd wheels junk yard dogs in a 20x15 with a 4" offset. i too have a very narrowed 9" rear

coys makes a sweet 20x14 and boyd has a lot of styles in a 20x15 check them out but they are about $1000 each
collin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #19
SulphurDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin86 View Post
i just bought a pair of those mickeys for my project truck. i have some 29x18x20. they are sweet they are getting mounted on some boyd wheels junk yard dogs in a 20x15 with a 4" offset. i too have a very narrowed 9" rear

coys makes a sweet 20x14 and boyd has a lot of styles in a 20x15 check them out but they are about $1000 each
My Ford 9" is stock length but it's more narrow than the 10 bolt that was underneath there originally. Overall it's about 7" more narrow. Looks like I can only fit a 12" wide wheel since I'm wanting a taller sidewall. Coys don't make a 12" width or the right offsets I need.

Last edited by SulphurDave; 11-13-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #20
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

SulphurDave,

You may be able to squeeze a 14" wide wheel under the rears. Do you have a specific tire (Brand/Model) you want to run. You mentioned a 31" tall tire on a 20" wheel for some sidewall meat. Looking at the tire specs for the Mickey Thompsons Sportsmans S/R with a 31" diameter, they offer a 31X16R20LT with a section width of 15.7". You'll have 'bout 1.3" of overall clearance. Running a 20x14's with about a 7.25" BS would give you about a 1" clearance between the sidewall and the inner fender lip, but only 'bout a 0.25" clearance between the sidewall and the leaf spring. If you run it with a 7" BS, you could gain more clearance from the leaf spring, then 'roll the inner fender lip to maintain a 1" clearance from the fender lip. Mickey Thompson also offers a 29x15R20LT that has a section width of 14.7" abiet only 29" in diameter. You could run this tire on a 20x14 wheel. I imagine this profile would look closer to the pic that you posted running the M/Ts. Running this setup with a 6.75" BS would give you at least an inch clearance on either side.

Do you plan to do a four bar sometime down the road?

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #21
SulphurDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz View Post
SulphurDave,

You may be able to squeeze a 14" wide wheel under the rears. Do you have a specific tire (Brand/Model) you want to run. You mentioned a 31" tall tire on a 20" wheel for some sidewall meat. Looking at the tire specs for the Mickey Thompsons Sportsmans S/R with a 31" diameter, they offer a 31X16R20LT with a section width of 15.7". You'll have 'bout 1.3" of overall clearance. Running a 20x14's with about a 7.25" BS would give you about a 1" clearance between the sidewall and the inner fender lip, but only 'bout a 0.25" clearance between the sidewall and the leaf spring. If you run it with a 7" BS, you could gain more clearance from the leaf spring, then 'roll the inner fender lip to maintain a 1" clearance from the fender lip. Mickey Thompson also offers a 29x15R20LT that has a section width of 14.7" abiet only 29" in diameter. You could run this tire on a 20x14 wheel. I imagine this profile would look closer to the pic that you posted running the M/Ts. Running this setup with a 6.75" BS would give you at least an inch clearance on either side.

Do you plan to do a four bar sometime down the road?
yes, see i look at this being my first set of wheels then later on when i tear the whole truck down and rebuild it again i'm gonna do 4-link / coilovers in the rear and then i wouldn't have to worry about all this. see coys has a 20x14 but the offset will not work.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #22
SulphurDave

Just talked to Centerline and they can build some 20x12 wheels for the rear with a 5.5" backspacing in a 5x4.5 for $390ea. The front might not work I don't think. I would want 20x8.5 in a 5x5 in the front which they have and would sell for $345ea but they can only do 5"-6" back spacing. Shouldn't the front be like 3 3/8" backspacing or something like that? That's only $1590 for 20x12 & 20x8.5 shipped to my door he said. Oh and the only wheels he can do this to are the offroad wheels. The billet style wheels only come 9.5" wide and 15" wide nothing in between. I would wanna get the Wildcats. He said I would be the first one to get 20x12 in that wheel but he has done other styles in 20x12 in those series wheels. The 20x8.5 are 33lbs and the 20x12 are 40lbs. That seems heavy but I've never compared.

This is the wheel in a smaller diameter.

But once you stretch the spokes going to a larger diameter I think they would resemble more along the lines of the Foose 500 wheel or something close.

Last edited by SulphurDave; 11-15-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
SCOTI

73 ~ 87's w/stock GM manufactured front suspension set-ups (meaning no MII's, Dropmembers, narrowed a-arms or clips etc) would use from 4 ~ 5.75" BS on a 8.5" wheel. I have 5.25" w/8's & I could get away w/a little less w/o worrying about rubbing the fender.

Somewhere around 4.5 ~ 5" BS should work well for you.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #24
SulphurDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
73 ~ 87's w/stock GM manufactured front suspension set-ups (meaning no MII's, Dropmembers, narrowed a-arms or clips etc) would use from 4 ~ 5.75" BS on a 8.5" wheel. I have 5.25" w/8's & I could get away w/a little less w/o worrying about rubbing the fender.

Somewhere around 4.5 ~ 5" BS should work well for you.
I will be lowering the front 4" with spindles and coils. How would a 20x8.5 with a 5" offset look? Would that put me where I need to be? Seems like the wheel would be further in that it needs to be or am I wrong?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulphurDave View Post
I will be lowering the front 4" with spindles and coils. How would a 20x8.5 with a 5" offset look? Would that put me where I need to be? Seems like the wheel would be further in that it needs to be or am I wrong?
There's really no right or wrong answer here. Some people like their wheels 'tucked' so they don't rub the fender-lip; some like them flush w/the fender-lip..... and, some like them hanging out in the open. It's all a personal preference.

I don't care for the hanging-out in the open or flush-fit options because I like mine LOW. But, you can also tuck them in too far as well. I really dis-like over-narrowed track widths. You just need to figure out what's most appealing for you.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 11-15-2007 at 06:28 PM.