The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
oldpurple

clutch adjustment

Need to stop the throwout bearing from spinning all the time, one way I can do this is just to hook my foot under the clutch pedal and pull the pedal up a bit and it will stop.

Is there any way to fix this, perhaps get a stronger spring under the dash that can pull the pedal all the way back to the top?
oldpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Re: clutch adjustment

You should have a return spring going from the clutch fork to somewhere on the frame that keeps the bearing off the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

its a heavy spring under the dash that brings the clutch pedal to its normal position when not engaged. the springs can rot and get weak.. they are available aftermarket from HELP i think thats where i got mine on the 76 i had its been a couple of years

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #4
wedgemon

This may help with adjustment

Disconnect the return spring at the clutch fork.

Rotate the clutch lever and shaft assembly until the clutch pedal is firmly against the rubber bumper on the brake pedal bracket.

Push the outer end of the clutch fork rearward until the throwout bearing lightly contacts the pressure plate levers.

Loosen the locknut and adjust the rod length so that the swivel slips freely into the gauge hole. Increase the rod length until all lash is removed.

Remove the swivel from the gauge hole. Insert the swivel in the lower hole in the lever. Install two washers and the cotter pin. Tighten the locknut, being careful not to change the rod length. Reinstall the spring and check the pedal free travel. It should be 1 3⁄8 –1 5⁄8 in.

- Dave

RETIRED: 1980 Scottsdale 4x4

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club
wedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
oldpurple

Thanks for the explanation, I will definitely check the adjustment again but I think I've got it set properly but it's good to know how to do it properly! I don't think there's enough adjustment to bring the pedal right back to the top though. I think the spring under the dash on the pedal itself has just become very weak.

I'll go check the HELP section at the parts store right now
oldpurple is offline   Reply With Quote