The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Lightbulb Some beguining help people?!

Im starting my build on my '81 chevy, and i am semi set on what i want it to look like im thinkin 2 toned 2in down from bedrail and front fender top line with satin black, lower and a light metalic denim silver upper no gloss, and dark orange stripe to split the two im wanting to have my rims as the factory rallys only with a twist black rings and hubs with silver rims, no crome acceptable, shaved tailgate and 3in upper post side mirrors, roll pan back and smooth black bumper similar to a mid 50's belair, im planning on baggin it with out notching it though, as the desire to set the frame on the ground is not there. im hoping to hit an aggressive stance similar to what i have now with a slightly smoother ride. anyone have any ideas on improving my thoughts, or producing a concept sketch of this as my artistic talent is seriously lacking.

This is what im starting with.

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap
East Ok meet East Ok date

Tony
wicked_sky_gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
j.files

Re: Some beguining help people?!

Good luck bagging your truck without a notch. On these square bodies an 8 inch drop in the rear will set the frame rails on the rear end. If you look at my truck it has eight inches of drop in the rear with a 4 inch notch. THe front is bagged. I really think if you are not going to notch the rear of the truck to not waste any money on bagging it and use that money on other areas of the truck to get it finished.
Attached Images

j.files is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.files View Post
Good luck bagging your truck without a notch. On these square bodies an 8 inch drop in the rear will set the frame rails on the rear end. If you look at my truck it has eight inches of drop in the rear with a 4 inch notch. THe front is bagged. I really think if you are not going to notch the rear of the truck to not waste any money on bagging it and use that money on other areas of the truck to get it finished.
SINCE THIS POST I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND ON THE NOTCH IDEA I AM GOING TO END UP NOTCHING AFTER ALL, AND I AM INTRESTED IN THAT 2LINK AND WHEELS YOU HAVE

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap

Tony
Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
imnezrider

Don't be too hard on me...don't have the talent or high dollar program. :-)

imnezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
j.files

Here is some pics of a 4 link setup you can do. I know you are not planning on doing this big of a notch on your truck but the 4 link setup will still work out great with a small notch. You can also do your bag and shock mounts like these.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnezrider View Post
Don't be too hard on me...don't have the talent or high dollar program. :-)
HEY MAN NO PROBLEM GIVES ME A BETTER IDEA THEN I HAD BEFORE CAN YOU ATTEMPT THE WHEELS?

Tony
Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
Here is some pics of a 4 link setup you can do. I know you are not planning on doing this big of a notch on your truck but the 4 link setup will still work out great with a small notch. You can also do your bag and shock mounts like these.
ok. see the cross member right off the back of the cab i am relocating that a lil further back, probably about half way from where it is to where your upper links are mounted, and putting a drive shaft loop for clearance and rigidity, can i mount the uppers that far back or is that too far?

Tony
Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
j.files

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_sky_gazer View Post
ok. see the cross member right off the back of the cab i am relocating that a lil further back, probably about half way from where it is to where your upper links are mounted, and putting a drive shaft loop for clearance and rigidity, can i mount the uppers that far back or is that too far?
What are you refering to when you say mount the uppers that far back. Also this is not my frame it is just a pic of a 4 link setup I had and thought I would share.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #9
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Quote:
What are you refering to when you say mount the uppers that far back. Also this is not my frame it is just a pic of a 4 link setup I had and thought I would share.
sorry i mean the cross piece that the two inner angled tubes connect to, could that be located closser the the foreward side of the front leaf spring mount without causing any binds as thats about where the new cross member im putting in will be located

Tony
Old 03-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

Ok Jerremy i have been lookin at some other pics on the net and now that i stop and think about it i think with my knoledge and abilities of fab work and geometry. i'm gonna take a stab at it a rough cad sketch would be helpfull if you wouldn't mind throwing one togeather I checked this past wekend and i have the materials to do it and the tooling also, i'm gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. i'll keep ya posted.

Tony