The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
JimV0804

Questions about my 72 Cheyenne...

Well - this is my first time here. Here goes.

I've got a 3/4 ton Chevy Cheyenne 4X4 - its been in the family for about 25 years. I've had it for awhile - but haven't taken the time or money to do much with it other than get it running.

Here are a few questions:

Can you explain the differences between.. Longhorns, Cheyennes, Supers, etc, etc?

I notice most pictures of 72 Chevy's have a different type of trim than I do - mine has the single chrome strip about 1/4 of the way up the body, where most other's I've seen have the two strips, with a different color in between. What gives? Is it the 'Cheyenne' part that dictates this trim?

Finally, why are there so many options when it comes to trim and interior, such as chrome, wood, etc, etc - How can I find out which package I have?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Also - any information on websites and magazines that you've used and have had luck with as far as body parts, trim, interior and so on.

Thanks again!

JimV0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Questions about my 72 Cheyenne...

Welcome to the board!!

For a new guy, you ask a lot of questions.....

Look inside your glove box. There is a sheet (or should be) attached to the inside of the door. On it, you will find a lot of letter/number codes. If you can take a digital pic of them, and post it on here, we can decode it all for you.

But there's a wealth of info on this site and we'll be glad to help.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Basically, there are several levels of trim. In '72, there were changes but some of the earlier trim levels were given name changes. Top of the line was the Cheyenne Super. Beneath that was the Cheyenne, followed by the Custom. During the year, the Scottsdale was introduced (okay, guys....correct me if I am wrong). The Longhorns were created late in the first iteration ('67) to serve the camper crowd but also worked for the construction bunch. They had 6-inches added to the 8-ft bed.

The trim you mention is wider than the upper trim. Back in the day, people believed the more chrome, or bright trim, a vehicle had the better it looked. If it was a two-tone, it had both pieces of trim....upper and lower....in the second and third iterations. The first two years of this body style didn't have the later-style of two-tone. Starting in sixty-nine, the upper/lower trim allowed a different two-tone than the first two years. If the later year models had a two-tone that included the top color being different, it usually was the same color as the band that ran between the two pieces of side trim. It also had a piece of trim that separated it from the primary color of the cab, located beneath the rear window.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

There were three 2-tones as well as solid color available on all Fleetside trucks.From bottom to top...
*Customs came with no trim,painted bumpers,and no trim around windows.
*CustomDeluxes came with lower beltline moulding with black accent,trim @ windows,and a trim piece at the bottom of the tailgate.
*Cheyennes came with lower beltline moulding with woodgrain accent,window trim,no trim @ bottom of tailgate,chrome bumpers and a trim band w/woodgrain accent.
*CheyenneSupers came with upper and lower mouldings(lower woodgrain),window trim,no trim @ bottom of tailgate,trim band w/woodgrain accent,and stainless tailgate handle cover.
Basically,that`s the exterior body trim differences.The side mouldings could be ordered as an option on anything,but no woodgrain.The upper moulding was part of the deluxe two-tone which had the accent color(usually white)between the mouldings and top.There were two other two-tone options.The Custom which had accent below lower beltline which was included(or had to be ordered)and the top.Then`there was Conventional which had the accent on top.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
space

What were the original two tone combos? Is there a build sheet located anywhere else than the glove box? Some PO moron removed it from my truck..
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Luvlegs

Check under the seat or the back of it - tucked behind the springs. Also heard of one located on the pass. side floor board under the mat.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!

Last edited by Luvlegs; 11-08-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

I think the build sheets for these trucks were in the seat springs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
space

Of all the luck.... I don't have the original seat either.
space is offline   Reply With Quote