The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
C & A s Dad

Springs and Shocks

My 71 seems a to be softer in the suspension than I would expect but the ride height is pretty close to stock. I am wondering if coil springs can become soft and retain their ride height???

I just ordered a new set of KYB MonoTube shocks and will try them first to see if they will help firm up the ride.

I decided on KYB for a couple of reasons. They are our (CARQUEST) supplier and I know the quality is second to none. I am hoping the high pressure gas shock will help my ride.
C & A s Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Springs and Shocks

are you compairing the ride to another truck of this generation?
These trucks *usually* had coils, which ride better than leafs, then on top of that, most of them had daul stage springs in back.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
C & A s Dad

Really do not have another 67 to 72 to compare it to. I know they are set up more soft than today's trucks but mine seems a little "sloppy". I had replaced the front shocks several years back but I am embarassed to say that the rears are the original 36 year old shocks.

If anyone had any experience with the KYBs on our generations of trucks, I would love to hear about it.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
C & A s Dad

Well I did it. I put a set of KYB MonoTube shocks on my truck today and I am amazed at the difference it made. The new shocks completely removed all of the swaying and bouncing that I was gettting. The old shocks were not that worn out they were just too soft for my truck.

I would highly recommend the KYB Mono Tubes if you are looking for a more solid ride.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
Sadsack

Do you have the part #s for them? I noticed today while sliding under my truck...ALL my shocks are originals!
Sadsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
C & A s Dad

Sadsack, I work for CARQUEST and KYB is our ride control supplier in most of the US. I can give you our part #s but I think KYB uses a different numbering system. I see you live in East TN, maybe you have a CQ near you.

Our #s

The fronts are 1844172
The rears are 1944213

The 184 series is a Perf + series (KYB calls these "Gas a just") that offers a little firmer ride than the std 194 series. The 184 series is not avail for the rear. However, in this case, my rears were the Gas a just. On some applications they will do this if they feel the OE replacement needs to be heavier.

Anyway, you will not be dissapointed with the KYBs, they are excellent quality and even my wife can tell a difference in the ride of my truck.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Boog
laying low

You put on new shocks and new tires and you'll think you're riding in a Caddy!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Jim, don't know about your trucks, but my '69 on coils way outrides my '96 on leaves and coils. Shocks on the late-model have been an experience. It had Toxic Shocks on it with the DJM lowering components and rode like the rock that Chevy says they are. Changed the rear shocks and went to a Monroe SensaTrac and it's better. Not as good as the '69, but better. Sure wish I had a coil sprung/4-link set up on the '96. I guess they're available, but I gotta spend money elsewhere.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
Boog
laying low

It's been a long time but my 69 had commercial 10 ply tires on it when I bought it and all but seems like it didn't ride bad. A 4 ply radial tire will ride and drive WAY better on these trucks. They are smooth. Coil springs will always outride leafs. I'm with ya on the late model leaf ride.
I believe shocks are as much responsible for the ride complaints now days on lowered trucks as stiff springs. There are some lowered kits including shocks so one would think they are matched to the setup. They may only be a shorter shock pulled off the shelf and not designed for the vehicle size and weight it's being sold for. Slap a slick name on it and everybody has got to have them. You know how it goes. There is more to a shock than it's operating length. I've always like Monroe shocks. Never had a failure and lasted many years. I do not know if Monroe makes shocks for our lowered applications. I hope so.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I really like KYB's.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote