The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
71chevylowrider

Help! What is the problem?

Hey guys & gals, I need a little help, (those of you that know me are thinking I need allot of help)
My truck has a TH-350 that is built good & has a stage 2 shift kit, it shifts fine all day long, but with it in drive & when i get on it & it, it downs shifts into first great, spins the tires & hauls A$$ hits second & spins the tires a little, but when it shifts into 2nd, the shift lever itself physically drops down into second form Drive & there fore with my foot to the floor it doesn't shift into 3rd the truck is very low, I can't fit under it, & it's static, anyone have an idea what to look for? it's got to be loose linkage or something right? It does have a polished idit column. it will also drop from drive into second if I hit a big enough bump, it's starting to get old now.

Wow, this was my 1,000 post

Last edited by 71chevylowrider; 11-10-2007 at 06:07 PM.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: TH-350 shift lever problem

I don't know what your linkage looks like but it sounds like the shift rod from the column is run straight down to the lever on the side of the tranny. When the engine/tranny torques over it pulls against the shift linkage dropping it into second. The correct shift linkage setup uses a bell crank type setup between the frame rail and the tranny to help prevent this. I do not have a picture of it but perhaps someone else will post one. I recently bought a new one for $25 from a classic truck parts dealer.

Also you have checked your engine and tranny mounts, right?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
71chevylowrider

Re: TH-350 shift lever problem

I've had the truck a couple years now & it just started doing it, I'm gonna have to dig in & see what's going on, I was just hoping for some good info like what you just provided, if anybody has pictures of what the linkage should look like I'd have something to compare to, I gotta get the truck up on stands to even get under it.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote