The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Making sense of PO's alterations

Hi,
Got a couple questions for you guys. Just trying to figure out what all I wanna "upgrade" on this truck and what has already been done. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, so bear with me if these questions are a little "noobish."

This truck has a 350 out of a '73 Chevy truck, and it looks like the PO changed it over to power steering and power brake setup from the same truck. Is this why he cut the ds inner fender? So the power steering setup would clear? Or is there something else going on here? Maybe he switched out the whole steering column? Also, why would that "joint" on the steering linkage be leaking fluid? What exactly is it? And does that look like the booster/master cylinder out of a '73 Chevy truck?? I couldn't find a part number on it anywhere (that I could see)

Sorry again for my ignorance. I'm trying to learn! Thanks for your help and patience in advance!
Attached Images

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: Making sense of PO's alterations

That brake booster and master cylinder looks like an older setup than '73 -- it could be original to your truck ----

i am saying that because of the location of your proportioning valve. On my '75 - the P valve is hidden on the front crossmember
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

67's didn't have "power steering" so the frame wasn't flared to clear a power steering box. Most people heat and hammer that area to clearence the box. Your PO was a bit more efficient.

Just so you know, 67's were available with power "assisted" steering which used a small hydralic ram mounted on the drag link to assist the steering.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
corn

Looks to me like he was too lazy to reach through the fenderwell to install the hoses.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 AM   #5
68K20 x Drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
Hi,
. Is this why he cut the ds inner fender? So the power steering setup would clear? Or is there something else going on here? Maybe he switched out the whole steering column? Also, why would that "joint" on the steering linkage be leaking fluid? What exactly is it?
On my 67-8 truck, i had to cut the inner fender a bit, for power the steering box. I just did it a little cleaner than that.

The input shaft on yours may be leaking behind the 'rag joint' coupling.

To get the modern collapsible steering shaft on my rig, I cut the splines off my steering column, and welded some on from a newer truck. Do Not do it yourself if you are not a good welder. You might want to be sure there are no cracks or sketchiness there.

I also cut the 'flared' part of the frame off a 76, and welded it to my truck, doubling the thickness of frame where the steering box mounts. 4x4's tend to break there, but that would be overkill on most 2X trucks.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote