The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Exclamation Craziness (aka next weekend thrash, bash, and stash)

(I was originally going to post this in the 700R4 thread, but this post took on a life of it's own, so here goes)

Luck may be with me again... Although it is inspiring me to feats of insanity regarding the truck project.

I think I might have located a 700R4 that was taken out of a wrecked '68 C10.

I emailed the guy asking if he had the front half of the driveshaft. I'm interested already, but if he has that driveshaft piece I'm in it to win it.

His exact quote in the craigslist ad was " I have a 2wd 700r4 tranny I was going to convert for my 4x4 but project is stalled for now and need the room. Was installed in a '68 C-10 behind a 350 engine. Don't know history on it but it's clean and ran and shifted with no problems. Comes with torque converter and has dipstick, cooler hoses, and TV cable."

$250!!!

So now, if I can in fact get in touch with this guy I will have the following to do next weekend.

1. Finish pulling anti sway bar (to include frame mounts), rear bumper and brackets, sliding rear window, bench seat and maybe bedsides (although probably not) from the junkyard bound 71 Longbed (Patches, from my sig). I know I'm forgetting some stuff that I'll probably want. I can go back and get it later, maybe.

2. Load the aforementioned vehicle onto a U-Haul car hauler (with no engine or transmission)

3. Drop Patches off at Desert Valley Auto Parts, wave bye-bye, and pick up Frank (short for Frankenstein). Load Frank onto the trailer, also with no engine or transmission, he might have at least 2 flat tires to add to the joy. (oh what fun THAT will be)

4. Take Frank back to Luke AFB auto hobby shop and use the steam cleaner to give him a thorough underhood and rear end steam cleaning.

I haven't figured out in which order to these next few items yet, so bear with me.

5. Brothers polyurethane body bushing kit.

6. Front and rear suspension rebuild kit from LMC, minus shocks.

7. Shocks

8. Engine installation, plumbing, and electrical. (I've already got the kit(s) I need so it's just a simple matter of plug in, connect the correct terminal, screw the wiring gutter down and go, plumbing is easy)

9. Transmission installation (if not the 700R4 then I'll just put the TH350 back in it).

10. Driveline installation, which means new u-joints and my new "heavy duty" carrier from Dicks driveshaft.

11. Cut out old exhaust system (old original single pipe, no manifolds present)

12. Alignment

13. Install new rubber brake lines, flush system and rebuild/repair/replace worn components in brake system.

14. Install new (to me) '89 Camaro serpentine system that included reverse rotation water pump, power steering pump, 1-wire alternator, and A/C compressor.

I realize of course that there is simply no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I'm going to get this all done in one weekend, especially since goodguys is in town the same weekend.

But I AM going to attempt to get the "Big Ticket" items out of the way. Things like Engine and trans install, suspension, and possibly brakes.

And Yes, I'll put up pics. This time I promise to take my camera with me.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Re: Craziness (among other things)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVictor75 View Post
(I was originally going to post this in the 700R4 thread, but this post took on a life of it's own, so here goes)

Luck may be with me again... Although it is inspiring me to feats of insanity regarding the truck project.

I think I might have located a 700R4 that was taken out of a wrecked '68 C10.

I emailed the guy asking if he had the front half of the driveshaft. I'm interested already, but if he has that driveshaft piece I'm in it to win it.

His exact quote in the craigslist ad was " I have a 2wd 700r4 tranny I was going to convert for my 4x4 but project is stalled for now and need the room. Was installed in a '68 C-10 behind a 350 engine. Don't know history on it but it's clean and ran and shifted with no problems. Comes with torque converter and has dipstick, cooler hoses, and TV cable."

$250!!!

14. Install new (to me) '89 Camaro serpentine system that included reverse rotation water pump, power steering pump, 1-wire alternator, and A/C compressor.
OK, question time.

I paid for new stainless trans cooler lines less than four months ago for a TH350 to go into a 71 LWB with a small block. The cooler lines in question go to the in-radiator trans cooler.

Will the same lines work with the 700R4? Or do I need to modify them? Or am I totally screwed and will need to buy brand new ones for my setup?

Or would I just be better off by plugging the holes on the trans, saving my nickels and dimes and buying one of the frame mounted coolers like Killer's truck had/has on it? I eventually want to go his setup, but for right now if I can make my current stuff work...

Also, on the Camaro brackets. What wires do I need to connect from my stock 71 A/C harness to the Camaro style small compressor to make it (and the GF) happy next summer in Phoenix? And where/how do they connect?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Also, does anybody need a used but good working bone stock TH350 with a new aluminum pan in the Phoenix area?
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote