The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
Mister laugh

How does this look?

Well let me start by saying i have been hovering around here for literally a year, while in search of a good 67-68 project in my price range, never finding one.

While searching for a winter beater i stumbled upon this diamond in the rough. she is a 81' short box k10, ORIGINAL OWNER. they are asking $1300 obo for the truck. but, i know it's rusty and am worried as to whether or not it would pass an insurance inspection because of that rust, i hope to go take a look tonight, or tomorrow night. Just wanted to get a second opinion.

Without further delay, here she is.

Mister laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: How does this look?

It looks like it has a little rust on it --- just put some naval jelly on a wet chamois cloth though, and most of it should come right up
:bansex:

just kidding -- if you were in the US, i'd say keep lookin, but seeing as youre in CAN, -- i dont have a good opinion on it ---

is Roper in the house?
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Pyrotechnic

If it's just a winter beater, then being rusted beyond repair is not a bad thing because the salt will just make it more rusted. No point is rusting up a good truck. As long as the frame and suspension aren't rusted through, then it should be fine.

Insurance inspection ? Who knows. When I bought my truck, the insurance company didn't even need to see it. They just wanted the relevant info to add it to the insurance plan and that was it. Your insurance company may be different though.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if youre getting comp fire and theft the truck may not be something you want to insure that way.. other than that for just basic insurance (liability and uninsured motorist ) they dont need any inspection.. inspection is just to determine value for collision or theft or stuff like that
the rust dont look as bad as some ive seen.. how are the floorboards and cab supports?

welcome to the board

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 11-15-2007 at 09:12 PM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum. I suggest you call your insurance agent and ask what the requirements are.

In Texas that would be beyond repair, in Canada that just a little surface rust...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
Mister laugh

I think the insurance inspection in Alberta is more of a way of determining road worthiness than actual value here in Alberta. This would be a winter beater with the possibility of getting fixed up in the summer. I'm 17 and ready to learn, I've rebuilt engines before, and torn into manual trannys but never done body work. What would i be looking at assuming the underside checks out ok? rockers? cab corners? door skins? I realize it is hard to judge by the pictures because it is crappy quality. As far as rust goes i have seen MUCH worse driving around.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister laugh View Post
I think the insurance inspection in Alberta is more of a way of determining road worthiness than actual value here in Alberta. This would be a winter beater with the possibility of getting fixed up in the summer. I'm 17 and ready to learn, I've rebuilt engines before, and torn into manual trannys but never done body work. What would i be looking at assuming the underside checks out ok? rockers? cab corners? door skins? I realize it is hard to judge by the pictures because it is crappy quality. As far as rust goes i have seen MUCH worse driving around.
It sounds like you need to decide what you want.

If you want a winter beater, get this truck just as that, a beater. Then go find something to play around with on the side, that has less rust.

Honestly, that truck looks to me like it's about to fall apart. I know things are different here in Az, but I don't think I've ever seen a truck that rusted out. If you are wanting to eventually do some body work, find one with less rust. You'd end up replacing fenders, doors, cab corners, probably floor pans, and maybe bedsides on that. Looks like much more work than it's worth.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #8
canadianc-10

looks a lil rough but not too bad, im in alberta so it may differ from province but my 84 had to have one 2 years ago. (theyll insure and have you get it done in a week or so) as long as tires, brakes, suspension, lights n horn are good and the cab mounts arent rotten it should pass. if it needs a out of province... it would most likely fail.
canadianc-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:21 AM   #9
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Welcome to the site. Crawl under the truck and check it out real good. Cab supports, frame cross members, brake lines, etc. etc. etc. With that much rust visible from the top side I hate to think what it looks like underneith it. My opinion is to keep looking.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #10
Mister laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianc-10 View Post
looks a lil rough but not too bad, im in alberta so it may differ from province but my 84 had to have one 2 years ago. (theyll insure and have you get it done in a week or so) as long as tires, brakes, suspension, lights n horn are good and the cab mounts arent rotten it should pass. if it needs a out of province... it would most likely fail.
I live in Alberta too, it does not need an out of province. Not to offend any one but being only 17, it is out of the question for me to buy 2 trucks not only money wise but storage wise. Also i realize in AZ trucks get no rust, but unless you look at the 5k+ range at least the trucks I've seen, around here have rust it's a fact of life in places it snows. The only difference is whether or not the guy took the time to lather on some bondo and spray bomb it or not. You obviously pay more for the bondo.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:38 AM   #11
canadianc-10

In Texas that would be beyond repair, in Canada that just a little surface rust...[/QUOTE]

sarcastic, but very true. id pretty much consider the rust on the truck average for around here. worse comes to worse, spend the 100 bucks and see if you can get a inpection done by a shop just so you know what it, needs, then bargain with the obo part from there
canadianc-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:34 AM   #12
'83Sierra

Quote:
I live in Alberta too, it does not need an out of province. Not to offend any one but being only 17, it is out of the question for me to buy 2 trucks not only money wise but storage wise. Also i realize in AZ trucks get no rust, but unless you look at the 5k+ range at least the trucks I've seen, around here have rust it's a fact of life in places it snows. The only difference is whether or not the guy took the time to lather on some bondo and spray bomb it or not. You obviously pay more for the bondo.
Hey man where in Alberta are you from? I'm in Edmonton. The truck isnt bad for the price. I just bought one and its in similar shape maybe a bit better but i paid $2250. Once you start taking it apart your gonna find alot more rust. But ya i know what you mean about people bondoing parts together. If you want a solid rust free truck your gonna pay over $10 000 around here. A bondoed one is about $5000. So is the bondo really worth 4000$ to you if itll only last for a few months?

Last edited by '83Sierra; 11-16-2007 at 05:38 AM.
'83Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Welcome from Kelowna, BC. I'm not sure where you are in Canada but there are a ton of trucks around here for 1000-1500 that look better than that. The rust looks pretty terminal on that one.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #14
Mister laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83Sierra View Post
Hey man where in Alberta are you from? I'm in Edmonton. The truck isnt bad for the price. I just bought one and its in similar shape maybe a bit better but i paid $2250. Once you start taking it apart your gonna find alot more rust. But ya i know what you mean about people bondoing parts together. If you want a solid rust free truck your gonna pay over $10 000 around here. A bondoed one is about $5000. So is the bondo really worth 4000$ to you if itll only last for a few months?
Yeh I'm in Edmonton too it's good to finally hear from someone who understands how trucks rust where it snows and what this great oil patch has done to our economy. Ive looked at trucks in the 3-5k range here, they are full of bondo absolutely full of it.

Just talked to the guy again he says all the rust below the wheel wells is surface rust. I plan on looking at it tomorrow

Last edited by Mister laugh; 11-16-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
'83Sierra

Quote:
Yeh I'm in Edmonton too it's good to finally hear from someone who understands how trucks rust where it snows and what this great oil patch has done to our economy. Ive looked at trucks in the 3-5k range here, they are full of bondo absolutely full of it.

Just talked to the guy again he says all the rust below the wheel wells is surface rust. I plan on looking at it tomorrow
Here's my 83. When i bought it the guy said it was mostly surface rust but when i took all the moldings off i was in through rust heaven. Holes everywhere!

Its gonna need some body work too which I've never done before cz I'm only 18 but i'd say it has some potential. If you need a driver side door i've got one in mint shape that i picked up but i probably wont be using it.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #16
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

You should make a trip to Kelowna...

1972 Chev Longbox 2WD - $2000 obo http://classifieds.castanet.net/show...143297/cat/158

1969 GMC Longbox 2WD - $2500 obo
http://classifieds.castanet.net/show...147588&cat=158

1970 GMC 2WD pickup - $1750 obo http://classifieds.castanet.net/show...188824&cat=158
1970 Pontiac Lemans
Old 11-16-2007, 11:47 PM   #17
Mister laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10-Driver View Post
You should make a trip to Kelowna...

1972 Chev Longbox 2WD - $2000 obo http://classifieds.castanet.net/show...143297/cat/158

1969 GMC Longbox 2WD - $2500 obo
http://classifieds.castanet.net/show...147588&cat=158

1970 GMC 2WD pickup - $1750 obo http://classifieds.castanet.net/show...188824&cat=158
believe me if i had time i would. But i must point out all of those are 2wd and this truck is 4wd, which is nice to have when you are me, sometimes a road is just not an option.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:22 AM   #18
'83Sierra

Quote:
believe me if i had time i would. But i must point out all of those are 2wd and this truck is 4wd, which is nice to have when you are me, sometimes a road is just not an option.
Haha he was probably referring to me. I wish i wouldve went cz those look like some nice trucks. So where in Edmonton are you?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:33 AM   #19
Mister laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by '83Sierra View Post
Haha he was probably referring to me. I wish i wouldve went cz those look like some nice trucks. So where in Edmonton are you?
Near Westmount mall how about u? I think I'm gunna go there tomorrow ant offer him a grand conditional on it coming reasonably close to passing an insurance inspection. If what i can see checks out and it runs ok.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:05 AM   #20
'83Sierra

I'm close to londonderry. That truck would make a nice offroad toy thats for sure.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 AM   #21
Russell
Professional Grade

I'm currently in Edmonton too, just north west of the city center on 108 ave and 116st. If you need body parts for your truck after you pick it up, I have a nice cab and front clip at my place

I can also go with you to take a look at the truck if you go after 4:00 pm tomorrow, I've got a bit of experience with these trucks

Last edited by Russell; 11-17-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:42 AM   #22
'83Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I'm currently in Edmonton too, just north west of the city center on 108 ave and 116st. If you need body parts for your truck after you pick it up, I have a nice cab and front clip at my place

I can also go with you to take a look at the truck if you go after 4:00 pm tomorrow, I've got a bit of experience with these trucks
hmmm body parts hey? Well if he doesnt end up taking them i will
And I'm free after 2pm tomorrow
Old 11-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #23
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

Quote:
I thought you might be looking for a 4WD but figured I would post them anyway. Good luck with your search... I would suggest you keep looking. I have to think a good truck within your budget is out there somewhere.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 AM   #24
Russell
Professional Grade

Sure thing `83Sierra. I won't be using the either the 74 or the 81+ front clip I've got sitting beside my shop, and if Mr. Laugh isn't interested, you can take one or both of them for free instead.

The cab won't be available until I've got my bodywork finished on the new one and can switch things over.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:04 AM   #25
'83Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Sure thing `83Sierra. I won't be using the either the 74 or the 81+ front clip I've got sitting beside my shop, and if Mr. Laugh isn't interested, you can take one or both of them for free instead.

The cab won't be available until I've got my bodywork finished on the new one and can switch things over.
I dont really need a front clip i was more interested in the cab. If it needs less work than mine. What exactly are you switching over?