The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

rebuilt the carb, gettin no gas

I just finished rebuilding the carb on my truck, and now after I put it back on and connected everything I'm getting no gas, should I just leave the ignition on a few minutes so the fuel pump can fill the bowl up?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Dieselmech52

Re: rebuilt the carb, gettin no gas

I dont think that will work. You most likely have a mechanical fuel pump whick only pumps if the truck is running or cranking. What kind of carb? Are you getting fuel to the carb?
Dieselmech52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

is your fuel filter facing the right direction? it only flows one way!

you may have to crank and prime with the pedal the first time
chev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

ok well I let it sit for about 10 minutes with ignition on, and tried to start the truck, it started perfect, and promptly died. Fuel filter is in the right direction, and I tried cranking and priming with pedal for a while to no avail. now the battery is dead from cranking too much...
Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

OK, sorry that I dont know your truck. What carb do you have? Do you have an electric pump or the stock mechanical pump?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Dieselmech52

. What kinf of carb? May need to tune it a little. If it started and then died, its getting fuel
Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

sure your spark plug wires are in the right spot?

Old 11-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Spark plugs are correct, Carb is rochester E4ME, I have what ever fuel pump came stock with these trucks I'd assume, I do not know where it is so I could check...

Last edited by Rc 415; 11-17-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Rc 415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Btw I just disconnected the fuel line, turned the ignition on, and pumped the pedal about 20 times, got no gas coming out of the line. But when I suck on the line I get gas fine..

Last edited by Rc 415; 11-16-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Dieselmech52

thats because you have a mechanical fuel pump that runs off the eccentric lobe on your cam shaft. It only pumps when the engine is running or cranking. You can leave the ignition on all day long and you wont get any fuel. There is still a little fuel in the diaphram in the pump, that is why you can suck it through the line. Get your battery on a good charger while your cranking it. You need to prime the line and fill your float bowl. And every carb Ive ever rebuilt never runs perfect right after I slapped it on. Im sure your gunna have to do a little tuning
Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
chev74
Addicted to Chevy

fuel pump is on the pass side down at the bottom of the block toward the front... right about where the lower radiator hose goes into the water pump

right here:
Attached Images

Last edited by chev74; 11-16-2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: pic
Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

You should have a mechanical pump on an '83, which means the only time it's pumping fuel is when the engine is running. Turning the ignition on will not initiate fuel flow, and pushing the gas pedal will do nothing if the bowls are dry. You need to pour a little gas down the primaries and fire it a few times to get the motor running long enough to allow the bowls in the carb to fill up.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

Well you have a mechanical pump. Try leaving the fuel line off the carb, and running the line into a bucket or clear colored plastic jug. Then crank the engine and see if gas comes out. If you get it in good healthy spurts, the pump is probably ok. If it doesnt shoot gas into the jug, then the pump needs replaced.

The needle might be stuck, so you could gently rap on the front of the carb with a screwdriver handle, not enough to really break anything, just enough to move things around a bit inside.

If the pump is ok, then you need to check the carb. Did you adjust the float level in the carb? There should have been some directions in the kit about how to do that, and a small paper ruler to set the float level. If you dont have the float level right,it wont run right. If the float is causing the needle valve to stick, you wont get enough gas.

That carb also has the enrichment circuit with an electric solenoid, that wont keep it from running, but could cause lean or rich conditions if it isnt right.

Ensure there are no kinks in the line. I usually leave the small filter out of the inlet and run an inline filter between the pump and the carb.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

to all above.
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Thanks guys, but I think I broke my starter just now, so I cant do anything at the moment..
Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #16
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

You can tell if the fuel bowls are full by looking into the top of the carb and pushing the throttle linkage open. You should see squirts of gas going into the carb. If you see that, you're getting fuel to it.

Other than that, double check what everyone else said. But if you're getting fuel that way, then it's another problem.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #17
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

fill the bowl full of gas with a small funnel and then it will pull it from there instead of pumping the gas to the bowl.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #18
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captkaos View Post
fill the bowl full of gas with a small funnel and then it will pull it from there instead of pumping the gas to the bowl.
really dumb question, but the bowl is the front (raised) butterfly right?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #19
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

Use a small funnel and put half a pint in through the bowl vent, its the round tube marked by the arrow.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #20
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455 View Post
Use a small funnel and put half a pint in through the bowl vent, its the round tube marked by the arrow.
I dont have a bowl vent...

It has an "air bleed valve assembly" in that spot.

Last edited by Rc 415; 11-17-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:59 AM   #21
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

The vent is right in front of that isn't it?
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #22
Pyrotechnic

Didn't you mention that you were getting awful gas mileage before this ? When the diaphram on a fuel pump ruptures, gas will flow out of the vent holes on top of the pump and right on to the ground, which is obviously going to make your gas mileage terrible. If the leak is really bad, you get an engine full of gas.

This happened on my 78 awhile back. Not sure if this is your problem but it is definitely something to check out. As stated previously, you could aim the outlet line from the fuel pump into some sort of container and crank the motor to see if the pump is actually working.

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 11-17-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #23
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme80 View Post
The vent is right in front of that isn't it?
Nope theres something else there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Didn't you mention that you were getting awful gas mileage before this ? When the diaphram on a fuel pump ruptures, gas will flow out of the vent holes on top of the pump and right on to the ground, which is obviously going to make your gas mileage terrible. If the leak is really bad, you get an engine full of gas.

This happened on my 78 awhile back. Not sure if this is your problem but it is definitely something to check out. As stated previously, you could aim the outlet line from the fuel pump into some sort of container and crank the motor to see if the pump is actually working.
Thanks for the info, but I just tested the pump, and its workin alright, sprayed gas everywhere!

Anyway, I was wondering if any one knew, if I tightened the lean mixture screw (solenoid adjustment) on the top front of the carb too much, would that cause me to get no fuel? See, I can get it started with the aerosol can of engine start, and if I keep spraying quick spurts of the spray in the carb the truck will run for about a minute, but when I stop spraying the truck stops running. Plus, the lean mixture screw was the only one I messed with at all while rebuilding the carb, I had to take it off to get the the needle & seat assembly.

Last edited by Rc 415; 11-17-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #24
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc 415 View Post
Btw I just disconnected the fuel line, turned the ignition on, and pumped the pedal about 20 times, got no gas coming out of the line. But when I suck on the line I get gas fine..
HMMM, I would venture to say that you are not on the right path here. First of all pumpipng the gas pedal with the gas line disconnected from the carb is NOT going to get you gas out of the line. When you pump the gas pedal----all you are doing is wearing out the throttle linkage. The fuel pump has to pump the gas to the carb and then pumping the accelerator pump will charge the carburetor bowls and spray the gas into the intake flow orifices.

Take a look at the front lower corner of your engine (passenger side of the truck); is there a light colored metal item attached to the motor that has a couple of lines running into and out of it. If so, then you have a mechanical fuel pump---one of those lines is going to your carb. If you do NOT have that, then when you turn your key on, the fuel should just pump out of and all over your engine. If you do not have the thing on the motor and fuel does not come out with the key on, then your electric (IN TANK) fuel pump is probably defunct.
If you DO have the pump on the motor, then with the fuel line disconnected from the carb, crank over the engine with the starter and see if there is fuel sprayed out into the engine comparment (Preferrably into a bucket). If it does not, then the mechanical fuel pump is broken and is in need of replacement.

Who did your carb rebuild?---with the background that you have provided, I would hope that someone did it for you. It may be rebuilt wrong and is not put together properly.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
Rc 415
Flat Black, & Chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
HMMM, I would venture to say that you are not on the right path here. First of all pumpipng the gas pedal with the gas line disconnected from the carb is NOT going to get you gas out of the line. When you pump the gas pedal----all you are doing is wearing out the throttle linkage. The fuel pump has to pump the gas to the carb and then pumping the accelerator pump will charge the carburetor bowls and spray the gas into the intake flow orifices.

Take a look at the front lower corner of your engine (passenger side of the truck); is there a light colored metal item attached to the motor that has a couple of lines running into and out of it. If so, then you have a mechanical fuel pump---one of those lines is going to your carb. If you do NOT have that, then when you turn your key on, the fuel should just pump out of and all over your engine. If you do not have the thing on the motor and fuel does not come out with the key on, then your electric (IN TANK) fuel pump is probably defunct.
If you DO have the pump on the motor, then with the fuel line disconnected from the carb, crank over the engine with the starter and see if there is fuel sprayed out into the engine comparment (Preferrably into a bucket). If it does not, then the mechanical fuel pump is broken and is in need of replacement.

Who did your carb rebuild?---with the background that you have provided, I would hope that someone did it for you. It may be rebuilt wrong and is not put together properly.
I answered most of this above, but as to the last part, All I really did was take the carb apart, soak it, clean it, and replace the gaskets, pump plunger assembly, and the needle and seat assembly, and reassemble it, in the process the lean mixture screw was the only screw that I moved at all, and I think that must be the cause of my problems, i turned it in too far, but I would like a second opinion.

Btw, I am not really familiar with drive trains, but I am trying to learn, and I figured best way to learn is to do it myself, I am pretty good at taking stuff apart and putting it back together correctly.

Last edited by Rc 415; 11-17-2007 at 09:44 PM.