The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2002, 11:23 PM   #1
riden2low

6 lug disc brakes

Has anyone out there has done the 6 lug disc brake conversion ? My truck has the 6 lugs now. Want to convert to a 5 lug but then that means new wheel and tires. So Brothers has a set to make my fronts disc and too, a set to convert the rear to disc and all in 6 lug pattern. To me that would be my easy way out of the drums but wanting to know if anyone has tried this set up and if they had any problems.
riden2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
low 84

i converted the front of my 64 to disc wirn an early classics kit. i used their 6 lug rotors, so i didn't have to get new wheels. on discs the only thing you have to do to go back and forth from 5 to 6 lug is changing the rotors. on the back if you stay with drums you will need to change the axles out if you want to go to 5 lug. i would do what i did and leave the back 6 lug drums and cahnge the front to 6 lug disc.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:36 AM   #3
riden2low

low 84

Thanks for the come back on the 6 lug. I know the 5 lug gives you the world of wheels to pick from but like I said I would have to buy all new stuff and it is pretty much a daily driver. I just want good brakes. I did check your pictures out and they are pretty nice trucks. I am new here at the forum so I will have to take some pictures of my trucks and put them on the net. Thanks again.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #4
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

I thoroughly recommend gmcpauls 6 lug disc conversion. I'm 2/3 through it right now and it's all bolt on so far. Quality parts! I got a booster setup from a salvage yard. Make sure you get a complete and intact master/prop valve setup whether you go new or used. I am in brake line hell right now and this is the only thing really holding me up. With some better planning I'd already be done, I think. Anyhow, can't recommend gmcpauls highly enough -- also the best price on the kit.

www.gmcpauls.com

If you have any questions, just shoot me an email and I'll help as much I can.

Good luck!
Jason
Old 10-09-2002, 10:30 PM   #5
riden2low

jmil1974

Hey thanks. Went to the web site and I see that I can get the set up a little cheaper. I have new ball joints and tie rod ends all ready. So this set up will bolt right up. I am a little lucky on the brake system. My truck came from the factory with power brakes plus it is a air cab. The kids that I purchased it from had tore out all the A/C components from under the hood. Beens the truck is my custom rig I will go with an after market type air compressor. I just replaced the door glass with one piece windows from Brothers and looks nice. Now my wife wants to know when will I spend the money to get it painted. It is like most trucks that is underconstruction, primer gray.

Last edited by riden2low; 10-09-2002 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:14 PM   #6
LowSeventy

The problem I found with GMC pauls is that is not a complete kit. No master cylinder, no proportioning valve kit, no backing plate dust shields and no brake lines. It appears that paul is just buying his kit from mcgaughlys, their price and description are the same.
I chose Early Classic over all the other companies for several reasons: They make the original bolt on spindles and disc brake kits for our trucks, They use Raybestos and ACDelco lifetime parts, and they answered every question that I had in a polite and educated manner. Every other place I called either could not answer even the easiest question, or were rude and insulting everyone else's products.
In addition, when my cousin and I put the kit on my 70, I didn't have to go to the auto parts store or wrecking yard for anything. We only had trouble figuring out two small dilemmas, and if we had read the instructions that came with the kit a little closer, it would have been no trouble at all.
If you call there talk to Stan, that guy knows what he's talking about, and will take the time to help you out. Shoot, he even gave me his cell # in case I had any more questions after they closed on Saturday afternoon.
LowSeventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 04:51 PM   #7
Dandeluxe

DISC BRAKES 6 LUG

HERES MINE
Attached Images

1969 cst swb corvette hugger orange with 400 hp sbc

I started out with nothing and i held on to it
Dandeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 08:50 AM   #8
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

gmcpauls kit is complete for me. Not everyone wants dust shields and Paul sells them separately too for a good price. The booster, prop valve, master, brackets, etc. are part of Paul's power brake kit because, again, not everyone wants the whole thing. Add up those pieces and it's still a good bit less than Early Classic's kit and comparable quality. The only thing you can't get from Paul is the lines but with the couple or 3 bills you save, it's well worth it to me. Not knocking ECE, I know they are a top notch outift with nice complete packages. I am just sharing my experience as I am on a tight budget and Paul got me quality stuff at the best price around, apples to apples.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:51 AM   #9
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

Dan, are those the PraiseDyno brake pads? <drooling>
Old 10-11-2002, 08:57 AM   #10
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

Actually just did some figuring again, if you go power disc with both companies and get all the same parts, you come out better than $400 ahead with gmcpaul and all you lack is brake lines. This can be a big deal in terms of time but again, well worth it to me considering you can buy those lines pre bent from LMC for like $100.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:25 PM   #11
riden2low

Same thing here, I dont't need all the stuff that these guys sell. My truck came with the factory option of power brakes. So I have the brake booster, proportioning valve and etc. I do know that I had to buy a new rebult 72 master cylinder for 22.00 bucks because my master cylinder is for drums and the 72 is for disc and drums. Funny how some of these guys tried to sell me one for any any where from 75 to 150 and you know that GMCpauls was the one to tell me to go to my local parts house here at home.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:20 PM   #12
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

I am 95% sure you need a different prop. valve. The drum one sends equal pressure to all 4 wheels whereas the disc/drum one sends less pressure to the rear. You should be able to find one on the board here cheap, or go to a wrecking yard OR try one of the adjustable ones from summit and just add it to your setup.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:28 PM   #13
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

I am 95% sure you need a different prop. valve. The drum one sends equal pressure to all 4 wheels whereas the disc/drum one sends less pressure to the rear. You should be able to find one on the board here cheap, or go to a wrecking yard OR try one of the adjustable ones from summit and just add it to your setup.
Old 10-11-2002, 07:20 PM   #14
LowSeventy

Jason is correct, you do need a prop valve because the drum brake setup only had a brake light switch, it will not work properly with a disc/drum setup.
You can definitely save a couple hundred bucks with the low buck kits, but I wanted name brand parts, and the Early Classic kit had lifetime warranted Raybestos and Delco stuff. Even the brake pads are guaranteed for as long as I own them, and I plan on keeping my ride forever. We are all on a budget these days, but The couple hundred more for the EC kit is cheap insurance, there are plenty of other areas on my truck to cut corners and save a few bucks besides my brake system.
P.S. All the parts in the EC kit are matched components from a 72 c-10 truck. No adjustable prop or passenger car master cyl. I figured GM spent millions designing the sytem to work properly, they obviously got something right if the design was the same 'til I think '87.
LowSeventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:15 AM   #15
Dandeluxe

6 lug ?

those pic.s i posted are from an early classic conversion. very nice and high quality . no taiwan junk

1969 cst swb corvette hugger orange with 400 hp sbc

I started out with nothing and i held on to it
Dandeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote