The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
ChaseDale3and8

A Truck That I Have My Eye On

Found this one a while back. I believe it to be a 71-72, which is what I'm really hoping to find. This one would be perfect for me if I can persuade the owner to sell it, but so far he hasn't been around when I've stopped to ask about it. Badge on he fender says Cheyenne Super10.

I really don't know much about the trim levels on this generation of GM truck. It does have air, tilt wheel and automatic trans. Tried to get decent pics of it to see if you guys think that it may indeed be a Cheyenne Super10. Is this the equivalent of the Silverado trim used on 73 and up? In other words, is the Cheyenne the top trim level?

I really want to get my hands on this one, and am going to keep trying to aquire it. It's the truck that I've been wanting for many years, shortbed and 4x4,with most options. I want to build a See Ten look alike,but painted black instead. Original color appears to be red, no trim. Haven't told my wife about this one yet. Figured if I can strike a deal to buy it, I'll just let her know after the fact! Easier to ask forgiveness than permission!...Joe
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
ChaseDale3and8

Re: A Truck That I Have My Eye On

A few More Pics. Sorry that they didn't turn out better. ...Joe
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Looks good.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #4

looks like a custom deluxe to me. door panels and seat. and i believe the fender emblems will change out from custom deluxe to cheyenne super.
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

look for a headliner with chrome trim surrounding it. That will be a dead give away if it is not there.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68350 View Post
looks like a custom deluxe to me. door panels and seat. and i believe the fender emblems will change out from custom deluxe to cheyenne super.
Pictured seat would be correct for a Super, door panels could have been changed or inserts removed. Due to door panels and rear view mirror location it looks to be a 72. I see the cargo light, does it have a headliner or glove door applique and does it look to have ever had any side molding's? Cb
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the inst panel isn't woodgrain either
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
71 super

Looks like it could be a super, but it also looks like it has been repainted and some changes - pieces taken out door trim and cluster replaced- only way to tell is build sheet or spid label and if the glove box trim is still in place as well as the headliner as mentioned before. The deluxe and super emlems have a different spacing relative to the upper emblem as per the build manual- the super is closer to the top emblem and generally people who don't know place the passenger side emblem in the wrong location- "S" of super located near to center on the passenger side.
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Bucky71

Why does the front sit higher than the back? Does it have a motor in it?
Bucky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Looks like it could be a super, but it also looks like it has been repainted and some changes - pieces taken out door trim and cluster replaced- only way to tell is build sheet or spid label and if the glove box trim is still in place as well as the headliner as mentioned before. The deluxe and super emlems have a different spacing relative to the upper emblem as per the build manual- the super is closer to the top emblem and generally people who don't know place the passenger side emblem in the wrong location- "S" of super located near to center on the passenger side.
I didn't know to look for the headliner. I will check the next time that I go to inquire about it in case he doesn't call me back. I left my name and phone number, hopefully he will call me back.If not, I'll just keep going back until I get an answer one way or the other.

I mainly wanted to know what I should be looking for to make sure that the truck is what the emblems on the fenders say that it is, since I'm not really that familiar with this generation of GM trucks. Most of mine have been 73-87s, which I'm very familiar with. I just want to make sure of what this truck actually is, since any number of things could have been changed over the years.

I want to make sure that the owner doesn't present it as something that it isn't just in case he is willing to sell, and knows more than I do about this generation of GM truck. I needed some expert opinions on what this truck either is,or could be, so I wanted to get the expert's opinions. This board is great for finding out this kind of stuff!...Joe
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
ChaseDale3and8

Oh, yeah. The original color was red,no trim as far as I can tell. It has a very old black paint job on it. Looks like it may date back to the 80s. ...Joe
Old 11-19-2007, 02:59 AM   #12
A.P.
Black 72 Chevy

Very Nice.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky71 View Post
Why does the front sit higher than the back? Does it have a motor in it?
It's a running, drivable truck. It has 4 inch lift springs in front, but the rear springs appear to be the original ones sitting on blocks, and they appear to be sagging as you would expect to find on a truck this old. ...Joe
Old 11-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
ChaseDale3and8

Well guys, I got a phone call from the owner yesterday (Sat.) afternoon. He calls me up and says that technically the truck isn't for sale, BUT...for enough money, he'd sell anything that he owns. Told me that he has owned the truck for 6 years, and has a late model Furd as a daily driver.

He told me that it had a recently rebuilt 350, turbo 350 trans, but wasn't sure what transfer case or gearing it has. All he said that it was pretty high geared, and mostly suited for the highway. He said the air works, but due to a slow leak, it needs to be recharged.

We didn't get into a discussion about the trim level because the next thing he tells me is that he knows this truck is rare because of being a shortbed and 4x4. By this point, I'm thinking he is going to have one hell of an asking price since he knows that it's a rare truck, so I finally ask how much he wants if he would entertain the idea of selling.

He told me that he's had a lot of inquiries on the old truck from a lot of different people. Then he pulls the old "well you make me an offer, and I'll tell you yes or no" routine. God, I HATE that! I don't like being put on the spot like that, and I damn sure don't like to price another man's truck, and I told him so up front.

He tells me to go do some research, give him a call back, and make an offer according to what they are bringing on the open market. I have a maximum amount that I'd be willing to pay for it in mind, but I don't want to start there! I really want this truck, but I am not, nor can I afford to make a man independently wealthy by selling me his old truck that obviously needs a lot of work to be cherry again.

I guess I'll do some searching on evilbay and see if I can find some trucks that are in similar shape, do some printouts, and go from there. It would just be a whole lot easier for him to shoot me a price, and start the negotiating from there. ...Joe
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
see ten
WTB this ad

I'd go back with a lil magnet and see how solid she is. This should be a major contributing factor in the price.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #16
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

looks like a good looking truck though.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #17
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
I'd go back with a lil magnet and see how solid she is. This should be a major contributing factor in the price.
I've been thinking along those lines. Take my camera along again and take some pictures of the underbelly as well. Looks like she's got some bondo already from a previous attempt at repairing some damage. Being that this truck is in Missouri, and has been here for a long time, it will no doubt have some rust issues to deal with.

I never even crawled underneath to have a look. Figured there wasn't any point until I got an answer whether or not he'd even sell. I just have a gut feeling that this guy thinks that it's worth a lot more than I do and will try to price it so high that he'll run me off. Time will tell I suppose.

Hopefully she's got enough rust that it will give me an edge in negotiating though. She's not cherry, the bed floor is shot, and I've already found some rust on the top side. All I can do is take a much closer look, and then make an offer, and hope that I don't insult the guy since he won't just shoot me a price to start with. ...Joe
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
msgross

hmm, research a price then tell him it's $2500 less due to: -$500 (no tailgate), -$200 (80's rims), -$100 (mirrors), -$1000 (paint and rust), -$500 (air conditioning), -$200 (big hole where radio was).

see how he like's his rare truck... I don't have the production numbers handy but their are plenty of SWB 4x4's to be had, check the truck classified on here. There was one from Arizona....
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
ChaseDale3and8

He has the tailgate because I've seen it on the truck when I went to look at it the first time. Not sure about the condition of it though. ...Joe
Old 11-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #20
1969k10stepside

Tell him there was 6069 (Actual number) short fleetside 4wds made in '72...then offer him $1200-$1700 for it.That's probably what I'd pay for it from the pics,but after actually being there and looking it over,I may go less.Any goodies on the motor? The transfer case would also affect how much I'd offer.If it was the original NP205 I might pay that,or more for it than one with a newer t-case.I'd also use a magnet to check for body filler..a bondo bucket is worth alot less than one with half decent steel.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 11-20-2007 at 07:03 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #21
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969k10stepside View Post
Tell him there was 6069 (Actual number) short fleetside 4wds made in '72...then offer him $1200-$1700 for it.That's probably what I'd pay for it from the pics,but after actually being there and looking it over,I may go less.Any goodies on the motor? The transfer case would also affect how much I'd offer.If it was the original NP205 I might pay that,or more for it than one with a newer t-case.I'd also use a magnet to check for body filler..a bondo bucket is worth alot less than one with half decent steel.
Forgot to mention that this one is a 71, at least that's what he told me. Do you know the production number on the 71s by chance? I was thinking $1200-$1500 unless the underside is in excellent shape. I sold my 71 GMC 4 years ago for $2900.

I had just put a brand new 4 inch lift, tires and wheels that were very similar to what I have on my 86 on it. Never got to drive it before I sold it. Body was in similar shape to this one. Since GMCs are more rare, and even though mine was a long bed, I think that I'm in the ballpark. I'll bet this guy is looking to get at least 2K more than what I would be willing to go though. $2500 would be a generous stretch for me as it sits. ...Joe
Old 11-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #22
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseDale3and8 View Post
Hopefully she's got enough rust that it will give me an edge in negotiating though. ...Joe
That's the first time I have ever heard anyone say that! I'd be hoping it was rust free, you'd be money ahead...

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #23
bobthecop

He must have changed rear view mirror, I thought the ones glued to the windshield were 72's.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #24
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
That's the first time I have ever heard anyone say that! I'd be hoping it was rust free, you'd be money ahead...

Good luck, Rg
I have body tools, a welder, and time, for the right truck! ...Joe
Old 11-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #25
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

She looks pretty soild but whats it look like underneath ore above the windshield?????

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote