The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
mnunn454

Best seats to look for

I have a 69 SWB Fleet that's currently getting a customized interior. Truck came with a very nice reupholstered bench seat but I want buckets because of a front-to-back center console.

I've been to a few junk yards looking for seats but all I've run across is Junk. (Go figure).

My "ideal" seat would be a recently wrecked, late model Chevy or GM leather bucket seat loaded with options (lumbar, heat, 35 way power adjustments, etc) with medium high backs.

I tried a set of swivel bucket seats out of a conversion van, but with the headrest they were too tall and required moving forward so far as to get intimate with the steering wheel just to get in the truck.

I am willing to do some welding on the floor/frame for mounts or even to build a lift/frame if required.

So, given a budget of about $500, what seats will work best?

Got any pics or a link to pics?

Thx.
29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
bent
The master of disaster

Re: Best seats to look for

Man i know this wont help or it might but i have the same intament issues whith the wheel at 6'1 and 260 lbs its a bit of a tight fit, but that aside i saw a post on here that is simular to your'es and i know a couple of the guys said something about cavalier seats or berreta seats. If they will fit im going when i get there in my project try to find some "fat man buckets" out of a 93 custlass supreme sl Hope you find what you need and good luck to ya.

Life is like a jar of japalino's what you do today will burn youre a$$ tomorrow!

Last edited by bent; 11-19-2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: errors
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 AM   #3
dan42

The newer chevy pickups with regular cabs are very comfortable - Personally I would stay away from power everything unless you know the height is going to be o.k, because they are a pain to change. Usually they are too high, so you have to cut them down.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

When I get ready to redo my interior I'm going to look for some good seats out of a C4 vette. They are crazy comfortable, have great support and sit very low to the floor. If those are cost prohibitive-then I'll probably get some out of a mid-90's E36 Bimmer. I have never used them but Scat/Procar sells a low-back bucket that actually looks pretty sweet.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
mnunn454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
When I get ready to redo my interior I'm going to look for some good seats out of a C4 vette. They are crazy comfortable, have great support and sit very low to the floor. If those are cost prohibitive-then I'll probably get some out of a mid-90's E36 Bimmer. I have never used them but Scat/Procar sells a low-back bucket that actually looks pretty sweet.
Regarding your Vette buckets, watch out for the reclining "length" factor. There's a lot more room in a Vette between the back glass and the foot pedals than in a C10. I tried using a set of reclining buckets (below), but they're just too cramped.

Thanks Dan42 for your caution above.

Any suggestions on year/make/models that would be best?
Attached Images

29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe
mnunn454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Tycoon4u
Tooloose

The van conversion places in northern Indiana sell the stock seats out of new vans and trucks. I got mine on ebay for $170. They are out of a sprinter van, short base and thin back. Fits nicely in our small cabs.

'68 c10 (current project)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=cherry+bomb
'04 silverado (better halfs)
'07 wildcat 27rlwb(for sale) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...llinois&cat=17
Tycoon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
drman929

I got some black leather seats out of a early nineties Chrysler Imperial. Every electric adjustment imaginable, and low. I haven't mounted them, but I stuck them on the floor and took a ride. I will have to space them up because they are so low. Very comfortable. The coolest part about them is the cupholder that pulls out of the armrest!
drman929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Cheyman

I got my seats out of a 99 S-10. They are grey leather w/6way power & lumbar support. Had to drill new holes to mount thats all I had to do. They work fine & look nice. Only thing they don't have drink holders in the console. They do have shoulder harnesses which I like. Payed 200.00 for them, I think I got a deal. I have a 71 cst short bed. Sorry no pics yet.
Cheyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
72 cheyenne pdx

I'm a VW Enthusiast as well as the older Chevy's. I have a '90 VW Jetta and the Recaro's in them are a very comfy seat, IMO. I have the manual version of these (as they as so come in power) and I can adjust the lumbar, the height, and of coures the front/back locations. I have been thinking of going with these or similiar in my 72. The only draw back of these is the seat tracks are welded on the the floor pan. Some modifications will need to happen to make them work in our style of trucks. Another type of seat that I have seen work in these trucks (at a show) are the Miata seats. I think the proportion is a little off IMO.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
whatnow123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnunn454 View Post
Regarding your Vette buckets, watch out for the reclining "length" factor. There's a lot more room in a Vette between the back glass and the foot pedals than in a C10. I tried using a set of reclining buckets (below), but they're just too cramped.

Thanks Dan42 for your caution above.

Any suggestions on year/make/models that would be best?
You should really consider shortening your steering column as well, that will make it far more comfortable with different seats.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote