The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
71BlazzinOrange

Bucket Seat Identification -NEED HELP-

I'm going back to the Yard next sat. Need help identifying the correct buckets for my 71. There were three sets to choose from all brown. I know the 71-72 could be purchased with the fancy scrolls. One had metal backs-What year is this kinda of blocky looking from rear. Other had plastic backs but more straight lines in the seats, nothing fancy loose in the truck. not original to truck. and third one the gmc-the most complete truck was full of stuff. Could anyone post pictures and years for easy identification. How do you easily identify the year of a gmc?
71BlazzinOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
1969k10stepside

Re: Bucket Seat Identification -NEED HELP-

The ones with the metal backs are called utility bucket seats..Wider,and more comfortable in my opinion.They were stock in '69-'72 blazers if optioned that way.Other then that there was just the regular bucket seats.Some had the scroll pattern,some didn't.The only other difference is the '69-'70 bucket seats were shaped a little different.'69-'70s could have scroll patterns too,the scrolls were in the middle though,not towards the sides like '71-72'.'73-middle 70s low back seats were similar,and can be made to work with '71-'72 covers,but the brackets were taller than those from the '69-'72 era.They look similar to the seats from this era though.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 11-19-2007 at 09:12 PM.
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
bigdon-70blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71BlazzinOrange View Post
I'm going back to the Yard next sat. Need help identifying the correct buckets for my 71. There were three sets to choose from all brown. I know the 71-72 could be purchased with the fancy scrolls. One had metal backs-What year is this kinda of blocky looking from rear. Other had plastic backs but more straight lines in the seats, nothing fancy loose in the truck. not original to truck. and third one the gmc-the most complete truck was full of stuff. Could anyone post pictures and years for easy identification. How do you easily identify the year of a gmc?
Sounds like there are some blazers in that yard! Are there by any chance bumper brackets for the sport bumper? Just need the middle 2 if you see any. Thanks
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
jaros44sr

While your looking for parts for bigdon, could you ask if he would part with the seat brackets on the drivers side, I'm getting rid of my tilt brackets on the passengers side.

Thanks for your time. J.

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
71BlazzinOrange

Jaros44sr, I'm sure the only way I could get those is to purchase the seats complete.
Bigdon, This is my first truck project, always chevelles. I don't know what the sports bumper is. Are you talking about the Bumper Guards? There is about 12 pickups & 3 blazers that I have found so far.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
bigdon-70blazer

The blazer could have a sport bumper or a step bumper. I need the brackets off the sport bumper. Will send you a pic when at home!
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
71BlazzinOrange

Talking Re: Bucket Seat Identification -NEED HELP-

Ok got some goodies, tell me what i got please, which pair of buckets do you think the remanufactured seat covers for a 71 will work with. thats a garbled sentence hope you understand.
Got this saddle seat with all the brackets-I'm keeping

Not sure if this set will work? (set 1)

Not Sure if this set will work? (set 2) notice the fancy back pocker in the seat.

I included this photo to show all the seats have that same back cover. Eye inspected. Maybe they are slightly different. I don't know yet.

Last edited by 71BlazzinOrange; 11-28-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: not a gm emblem
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #8
1969k10stepside

The second pair is from gen 2 blazers with the low back seats.The first look like stock 71-72s with different covers..They might be stock but I've not seen any like that.If you want to sell either set let me know,I might be interested if I could figure shipping out on them.

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 11-28-2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
71BlazzinOrange

Thanx for the reply 1969k10, Yep one of those sets has got to go. You can have first crack at them when I figure it out. Both Sets are in extremely good condition with only small cracks/tears.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #10
k-nuts

Did they have a set of utility buckets? The one with the metal backs? If thats not what you are looking for let me know as I'd be interested. thanks.
k-nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
71BlazzinOrange

k-nuts, they did have a set of those metal backed utility buckets. Not shure of the shape, I will check them out more thoughly next time I get back to the yard problably two weeks from now.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #12
k-nuts

Been waiting 2 years so far to start the resto, what's a couple more weeks!

Probably won't even start it for another year the rate I'm going. I don't even want to start if I don't have real time to work on it.

But please let me know if you can. Also check the passenger flip up bracket and see if the latching part it on the outerside of the back of the seat frame. Not in the middle like the other seats. Thanks!!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
71BlazzinOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-nuts View Post
Been waiting 2 years so far to start the resto, what's a couple more weeks!

Probably won't even start it for another year the rate I'm going. I don't even want to start if I don't have real time to work on it.

But please let me know if you can. Also check the passenger flip up bracket and see if the latching part it on the outerside of the back of the seat frame. Not in the middle like the other seats. Thanks!!
So what I can tell from your message and others is that the seats are pretty interchangeable but the brackets for mounting the 69-72 passenger flip up bracket release handle is lower & the 1973 and up are in the center/higher? Do the utilities seats have the shorter brackets & flip release lower? Are they the same for both the utility & regular buckets? There also was a set of brackets, loose in that parts gmc. Man I'm going to have a pile of seats/parts to get the correct buckets. I might as well clean them out of blazer buckets, the utility set, 1 back seat & a passenger correct bucket is there.
I just wanted to throw this in. When I was a kid our blazer had the utility seats, one day I flipped the seat up & broke the windshield. I remember the metal plate did it. How much is a set of the seats worth? I think I'm doing OK but would just like to check.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
1969k10stepside

The brackets from utility buckets are different than regular 69-72 bucket seat brackets.I believe they're wider..I need just a regular drivers side bracket for a bucket seat too if there's anymore laying around..

Last edited by 1969k10stepside; 11-29-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
k-nuts

I'm no expert by any means. My truck has a set of the other seats in it. It was supposed to have Utility Buckets. If you bolt my current seats to the front bolt holes, then the rear ones do not line up. Same on both sides. (the PO rigged them up a bit to work) The bolt holes for the "pin release thing" on the passenger side on my truck are off set towards the passenger door. Most all the seats I've seen have that release bracket right in the center. I think the trucks with the later or maybe CST seats have bolt holes for both types of seats. Again, I'm no expert just poking around a little before I start to restore mine. I had a post about my seats on here before. I think I want to go the original look on my resto so I'd like a set of the metal back utility buckets and them have them redone to at least look close to original material.