The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
anx

Replacing Complete Firewall ?s

Hi, I am building up a 69 shortbed. And my firewall is completly shot but the rest of my cab is in ok shape minus rockers.So.. I found donor cab for $5 and cut the firewall off. I cut it around the pillars on the roof and below the floor seam. I am trying to come up with a plan on doing this. I am thinking the easiest way would be to brace from the roof to the floor and cut the pillars near the top of the windshield and weld it together there. the floor area looks like it will be pretty straight forward.

But I figured I would ask here if anyone has done this with some pics. I did a search and didnt come up with much. Or any ideas tips would be great to.

Thanks, Chris
anx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Replacing Complete Firewall ?s

I know that Tri-Pro Automotive sells the complete panel.It has been done,not by me.We`ll see who chimes-in.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
Rokcrln

Yes it has been done and should not be all that bad to do. You might want to check out this build thread that I have going for the windshield brace idea. It will help make sure tha teh windshield fits afterwards. You will need to brace it to the rear of the cab or to your roof to floor braces that you mentioned doing. Always add more braces then you think you will need. Also check out how I reinforced the A pillars after they were cut. This is important since you will be grinding down your welds and loosing strength.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=241695

And this one shows how I replaced the full drivers side A pillar some were in this thread. Might give you a few more ideas.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=188993

Kevin
LFD inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I don`t know how far you`re going.But,if the jamb stays,leave the door on and shut,for sure.Take plenty of "before" measurements and as you know,brace first,then cut.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
anx

I will be replacing firewall, door posts, dash and all. as you can see mine is pretty rough.(sorry only a phone camera) The other cab I had was actually much better but i didnt want to mess with the vin.

Kevin thanks. You actually helped me more than you know. I shortened a longbed for my truck last weekend with the help of one of your threads. your directions were great. I think I will do the pillar suports looks like a good idea

Thanks
Attached Images

anx is offline   Reply With Quote