The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
724x4a/cchevy
Self-proclaimed LED man

Van column disassembly????

So I bought a van steering column off ebay and got it today. I started disassembly so that i can have the shaft shortened and professionally re-welded to look 100% factory. My question is, how do you get them apart? I cant seem to get the column apart between the actual tilt mechanism and the shifter collar. I have taken every nut and bolt that i can find off. The steering shaft is loose in the column, but i cant get it to separate. Is there some magic spell i have to cast or am i just not holding my face right? Thanks for any help.
I also do LED:
-Third Brake/Cargo
-Brake (truck and burb)
-Reverse (truck and burb)
-67-68 Front Turn Signals
-69-70 Front Turn Signals
-71-72 Front Turn Signals
-GMC Front Turn Signals
I can also do custom lights for other vehicles....i did a set for a AMC Gremlin once
Norwood Survivor

Last edited by 724x4a/cchevy; 11-23-2007 at 06:51 PM.
724x4a/cchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
corn

Re: Van column disassembly????

Thats a lot of work compared to just sliding the intermediate shaft in a couple inches. Old age is making me lazy...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
john
member #16

If you PM me your e mail addy I have a pdf file that has the disassembly I can send you.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
71swb4x4

Purchase a factory assembly manual for your truck. It will have the column disassembly instructions as well as a ton of other stuff you will use.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
72ironmike

Years ago a friend of mine shortened 25 van tilt shafts. We knew someone that shortened and welded but did'nt think that would be the best/safest way to do a van tilt. We found a machine shop to cut the shafts and re-spline the end so there would be no weld. Maybe overkill but just a suggestion.
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ironmike View Post
Years ago a friend of mine shortened 25 van tilt shafts. We knew someone that shortened and welded but did'nt think that would be the best/safest way to do a van tilt. We found a machine shop to cut the shafts and re-spline the end so there would be no weld. Maybe overkill but just a suggestion.
and like this method alot better, especially if building columns to sell to other's as there is a major liability factor here to consider. While on this subject... I have heard that a couple of the major 67-72 parts retailer's in California are pushing out van column's with the relocated n.safety/b.up light switch and with shortened lower shafts so they appear to look like factory truck tilts. They are shortening the lower shafts by cutting, collaring and cross pinning them back together inside the lower tube assembly. Has anyone else heard the same or came across one of these columns yet? Cb

Last edited by Classic Bowties; 11-23-2007 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
72ironmike

CB, You are right. That is how most of those guys do the redone van tilts.
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
724x4a/cchevy
Self-proclaimed LED man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Purchase a factory assembly manual for your truck. It will have the column disassembly instructions as well as a ton of other stuff you will use.
Didn't think about that. Had to dig it out Does anyone have the special puller needed to take that collar off? It hooks onto the inside lip of the ring. Last night i heated the collar up with a heat gun and couldnt get it to come off. I have to get this apart because I think i removed some screws that will be impossible to get back together without taking it apart. Thanks for the help guys.
I also do LED:
-Third Brake/Cargo
-Brake (truck and burb)
-Reverse (truck and burb)
-67-68 Front Turn Signals
-69-70 Front Turn Signals
-71-72 Front Turn Signals
-GMC Front Turn Signals
I can also do custom lights for other vehicles....i did a set for a AMC Gremlin once
Norwood Survivor
724x4a/cchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #9
71swb4x4

I didn't use the puller on mine. I used a rubber mallet and gently "encouraged" the collar to come off. If you pound toward the base of that collar you can get it off. When you strike it strike it so it's trying to come off (not direct hammering). Don't go overboard, but don't be too worried as it fits really snug which helps prevent it from denting.