The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #1

Door Seal Gaskets

I did a search and found a few responses on this topic. I just put new door gaskets in (Precision Brand) and now I can't even get the doors to close. I hate to have to adjust the doors out just to get them closed and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and any idea's on how to fix it. I know the old gaskets were almost 40 years old but these replacement gaskets although they fit good seem way thicker and have a hard rubber piece in the top corner.
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
JTeague

Re: Door Seal Gaskets

I put new weatherstripping on mine two weeks ago and have the same problem. I dont know if I could get the screws loose to even adjust my doors HAHA!!! I'll be watching to see what is suggested cause if not I might just shatter a glass slamming the doors.....
JTeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Tim Christian

Hey guys, I sell parts and offer Precision Brand because most people building trucks are looking for a good afordable price. I sell them for $35.00 a pair I also sell Soffseal and I will tell you it is the best on the market but nobody wants to pay the price. I sell them for $50.00 a pair. I just used all Soffseal rubber in my sons truck and the front and rear window seals and door rubber is the best fitting I have ever used but it is hard to sell because of the price but I will tell you every truck we build from now on will only have Soffseal!
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
71 super

Try leaving the windows cracked a bit and then shut the door. If they are making a good seal they can be difficult to shut without a good push. My 71 was restored nearly 5 years ago (not driven) and the doors are still hard to shut without a good push unless the windows are cracked. If they still don't shut well, then you will have to play with door's adjustment.
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
JTeague

I bought mine local Dave's Truck Parts in NC. They were $35 for the pair and have the mitered corners. They feel fairly soft but must seal real tight. If the window is cracked it is easier.
How would one go about adjusting the doors assuming one can get the bolts loose?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
RJGeister
Retired Air Force 87-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68350 View Post
I did a search and found a few responses on this topic. I just put new door gaskets in (Precision Brand) and now I can't even get the doors to close. I hate to have to adjust the doors out just to get them closed and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and any idea's on how to fix it. I know the old gaskets were almost 40 years old but these replacement gaskets although they fit good seem way thicker and have a hard rubber piece in the top corner.
Were these a glue on or slide on door gaskets? I was thinking about getting a set of Precision seals but the catalog says they are a slide on type like the newer Chevy trucks. The last set I bought were glue on. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Rich
RJGeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
JTeague

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGeister View Post
Were these a glue on or slide on door gaskets? I was thinking about getting a set of Precision seals but the catalog says they are a slide on type like the newer Chevy trucks. The last set I bought were glue on. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Rich
Not sure which ones you are referring to, but the ones I got for $35 are glue on. Similar to the ones in the LMC catalog.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
Try leaving the windows cracked a bit and then shut the door. If they are making a good seal they can be difficult to shut without a good push. My 71 was restored nearly 5 years ago (not driven) and the doors are still hard to shut without a good push unless the windows are cracked. If they still don't shut well, then you will have to play with door's adjustment.
You are supposed to leave an air-relief gap when installing the seals to help with this problem. You can also use an awl to poke holes every few inches around the seals to relieve pressure. These will not be seen.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
OlChev67
Ever heard of Beech Island??

I put new ones on my truck last week and they were real tight. The drivers side has gotten better, because I use it alot, but passenger side is still tight and have to push the door in when locking it. I figure this will get better with time. I should have put new ones on in the summer, so the heat would help them squish a little easier. I got mine from Brothers.
OlChev67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
JTeague

Is there a way to adjust the doors? My passenger door has to be SLAMMED and I'm afraid someone will beak the glass.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
Hey guys, I sell parts and offer Precision Brand because most people building trucks are looking for a good afordable price. I sell them for $35.00 a pair I also sell Soffseal and I will tell you it is the best on the market but nobody wants to pay the price. I sell them for $50.00 a pair. I just used all Soffseal rubber in my sons truck and the front and rear window seals and door rubber is the best fitting I have ever used but it is hard to sell because of the price but I will tell you every truck we build from now on will only have Soffseal!
It always suprises me when people scrimp on things like that, in restoring a car, whats $15 difference in one part? Yeah they can add up Really really quickly- I know. But I think if you don't do it right and have to mess with it again fairly soon, then you might as well have done it right the first time!
Trust me, My trucks P.O. did a half-ass half-ass job!

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72

Last edited by Mordachai; 11-29-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: :)
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
... I just used all Soffseal rubber in my sons truck and the front and rear window seals and door rubber is the best fitting I have ever used
Tim, other than the fit is there any other difference? Do you use glue?

I have an an original rubber gasket set that I bought some years ago but will hold of installing.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote