The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
BrooKLyn

1/2 ton 3/4 ton ?

whats the difference between 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton

Is there a way to 5 lug the rear? I have all the front
BrooKLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
watahyahknow

Re: 1/2 ton 3/4 ton ?

the 3/4 and 1 ton usually has a 14 bolt corporate semy float or full float rearaxle you can recognize that by the 14 bolts holding the cover on , the cover itself is kindah daimondshaped and the small ring of bolts sticking out inside the center of the rearwheel .
if so the all terain guys will line up at youre door willing to exchange it for a 12 bolt or a 10 bolt i would trade for a 12 bolt limited slip wish bolt straight under and give you the 4 lug you want

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the difference is also in the springs the 1/2 ton usually has fewer spring leafs in the rear and the coils in front are smaller as is the rest of the front end pretty much 5 lug is the 1/2 ton and the eight lugs are the 3/4 ton in addition like the previous poster said the 3/4 ton has the 14 bolt rear and the others have the 10 or 12
this is for the two wheel drives im not sure about the 4wd models if memory serves correct their 1/2 ton has 6 lugs

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Pyrotechnic

Big 10 or Heavy Half models got 3/4 ton springs with 5 lug wheels, the best of both worlds in my opinion.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
sav_x69

why are 5 lugs better
sav_x69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

easier to get custom rims for tires are more plentiful and cheaper

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Pyrotechnic

Big 10 or Heavy Half models got bigger brakes and longer rear leaf springs. The longer springs give a sweet ride if you take a couple of leafs out, and if you want to run drop shackles, you don't have to cut the bed support because the rear spring hanger is back further than with regular half ton springs. Also, these trucks got whats called "heavy duty emissions" which means minimal emissions, no catalytic converter and a double hump crossmember that works great for true dual exhaust.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote