The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
rickf

Dammit - locked out, how do I get in ?

This is the second time this year that the driver's side door has locked itself when it got closed. You know, there is the button lock with the key, and there is the in-cab locking with the handle. Supposedly that handle lock only works when the door is already closed.

I can recall doing nothign unusual, just closed the door. No hard, not slammed, just normal closing the door. I go to open it and find it has the "inside handle" lock applied. The passenger side was already locked from the inside, so now I am locked out.

It happened this last summer once, but it was no big deal. It was warm, the truck was in the home driveway, the wing window was not locked so I just reached in and unlocked the handle. But not this time. It is cold, raining, all the windows are closed and latched, and it's in the office parking lot.

All the window weather stripping is long gone, it should be easy to reach down in alongside the window. But I don't know what I'm trying to reach or what to do with it when I reach it.

So I guess the question is, how do I break into my truck without breaking my truck?

Another question is, why does it do that? What needs fixing to make it stop doing that?

Last edited by rickf; 12-02-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
harley

Re: Dammit - locked out, how do I get in ?

Man, that sucks.

Try reaching the inside handle with a coat hanger, maybe through the vent window if the weather stripping will allow it.

Failing that, try the local PD. Sometimes they will assist with a slim-jim. If not then a local locksmith can get in for you.

I have no idea why it does this. Sorry.
http://gallery.mac.com/gracpogue#100044
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

the handel lock wis worn probly dose it jiggle at all while driving i think you need annew mechinizim
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
rickf

Yeah, you're probably right, something is worn. I need to pull it apart and see how it works. It looked like the handle itself was in the normal "mid" position. I ended up calling a locksmith. He fiddled about inside the door via the edge of the window, but couldn't get any result. He ended up going rather low tech with a MF'ng stiff piece of wire, slipped in under the wing window and knocked the wing latch up. Simple from there, just reach in and open with inside handle.

It is looking like what ever the little widget is that the inside lock moves, to defeat the door handle button, is moving on its own sometimes. Worn maybe, weak spring maybe, or flat out broken but usually works anyway. I don't know what the mechanism looks like, but I will soon.

In the meantime, I need to remember not to leave the passenger side locked with the inside handle, so at least I'd have a second chance.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
hewlett2002000

second diagnosis... ITS HAUNTED!!! lmao, jk man. hope you get it worked out.
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #6

The vent windows don't lock on these trucks, stick something thin between the glass and rubber (pocketknife works good) and flip the handle up. Reach in and lift the door handle.
Now, I just told the whole world how easy it is to break into a chevy truck.
Frank
Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
fercho71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72402 View Post
The vent windows don't lock on these trucks, stick something thin between the glass and rubber (pocketknife works good) and flip the handle up. Reach in and lift the door handle.
Now, I just told the whole world how easy it is to break into a chevy truck.
Frank
i agree it hapend to me a couple weeks ago i insert a flathead screwwdriver and open the vent window then i grave the window handle and roll it down and finally open the door so thats mi emergency way to open the door

Fer
Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 AM   #8
rickf

Yeah, I got to get me a toolbox for the bed. Or maybe in the engine compartment, I've seen that.

I had a nice collection of tools with me, and there I was looking rather longingly through the window at the toolbox on the floor inside the cab.

So maybe I'll get the smallest 7x7 wire rope I can find, get a clevis end crimped on, drill the wing window latch near the top, pin the wire to it and run it under the dash alongside the choke cable through the firewall into the engine compartment. Then I'll have a handy way to open the wing.

Or maybe I should just fix the door lock.

As for the ghost, could be. Maybe grandpa wants back that piece of baling wire that has been holding the rear view mirror still for the last 30 years.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
Hillbilly Deluxe 65
Wheelin' and Dealin'

the locking mechanism moves foward and back ward inside the door
Hillbilly Deluxe 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 AM   #10
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

One thing that works great is an old windsheild wiper arm. Take the blade off and bend the end at a right angle about 1" from the end. Insert it under the wing, and as the bend passes thru the weatherstripping, it will push up the wing lever. Then, just throw it in the bed of your truck and hopefully nobody will think about what it's for.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
rickf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
One thing that works great is an old windsheild wiper arm. Take the blade off and bend the end at a right angle about 1" from the end. Insert it under the wing, and as the bend passes thru the weatherstripping, it will push up the wing lever. Then, just throw it in the bed of your truck and hopefully nobody will think about what it's for.

Excellent! I gotta make me one of those.

I once had a screw driver and a couple sockets ride about 700 miles in that little divet where the hood springs are, I'll stash it there. (Shhhh!)
Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
62ChevyStep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
I have always used a standard kitchen butter knife bent at a 90 degree angle, thin enough to slide under the wing window seal, and then just flip the wing lever up.
05'Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5
62ChevyStep is offline   Reply With Quote