The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
rzarock

Is this stuff interchangable?

It's a long story, but here goes. I'm rebuilding a 77 Silverado short bed and have an opportunity to purchase an 84 K20 4X4 with a 6.2L diesel. The K20 runs and is in relatively good shape. The owner wants $1500 obo. I've been looking for a 6.2L diesel to put in the 77 (I run biodiesel) and thought it would be nice if I could transplant the drive train from the 84 into the 77. The 77 is an automatic...the 84 is a 4 speed manual, which I prefer. Here's the question: If I transplant the drive train could I also swap the cab/doors and expect the doghouse and bed to line up? I like the look of the 77 front end over the 84 and want to keep it. I also need a tailgate. Could I use the one from the 84? Would an 84 bench seat fit in the 77? Thanks for all your help!

You can check out the build process at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931839

Last edited by rzarock; 12-06-2007 at 09:41 AM.
rzarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Is this stuff interchangable?

the seat would interchange the tailgate would interchage using the hardware from the tailgate you want to swap the drivetrain would interchage (i think but being its 4X4 you should really wait for a response from one who is more versed with them as i am into 2WD) although you may have to do something with the motomounts and you may have to swap out the trans crossmember and the driveshafts/carrier bearing and of course you would have to do somethng about the transfer case so it may be easier to look for a 2wd crossmember and trans or just swap it over with the flex plate and go automatic
you need to usde the body mounts for the 84 cab and would have to switch the wiper arms and linkages from the 77 into the 84 cab.. you would also have to do the vin tag swap or show the state and they would have to issue you a VIN otherwise you would have issues come emmissions testing
there is alot of work here why not just swap your nose/wipers from the 77 to the 84 and makie it easy

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
rzarock

[QUOTE= there is alot of work here why not just swap your nose/wipers from the 77 to the 84 and makie it easy[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. The only reason I'm willing to go through this much effort is because I want a lowered 2wd short bed. Not a 4wd long bed. Believe me, I thought about it.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Everything you listed will swap over sheetmetal wise. The 4 speed won't work unless you get either a 2wd version or the pieces to convert the 4x4 version.... I know you need a tailhousing not sure of the output shaft length, crossmember will have to move. It would be easier an automatic.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote