The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
SRH916
1975 C-10 Silverado LWB

Arrow Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Hi, so I am thinking I am going to take the plunge with a 1975 Chevy C-10 Longbed, but I would like to (sometime in the future) convert it to a shortbed (stepside or fleetside). I was wondering exactly what I would need to buy/do to complete this task. If you could include pictures, part lists or somewhat detailed instructions that would be great.

Thanks for all the help!
SRH916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: Longbed to Shortbed Conversion

Really the two main things are a bed and a frame unless u make urs a short bed by cutting it but its most likly easier to find a frame. otherthen that is mosly make all the metal line aka brake, and drive shaft shorter. (cant remeber all right now but its not much of a list)

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 12-06-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
spudz

just find a rusted out SWB and a solid bed and swap everything off of your LWB to the SWB chassis..
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
SRH916
1975 C-10 Silverado LWB

So from what I am getting it would be easier for me to buy a shortbed frame, and transfer everything over, but I would need new brake lines, a shorter drive shaft, I think they use different leaf springs (correct me if I am wrong), a shortbed gas tank(including all attatchments), and a shortbed itself.

I am really wondering what I would need to complete this task the hard way also. Where exactly should I cut the frame? And would there be anything extra needed for the frame conversion?

Again, thanks for the help!
Old 12-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The best way to do this is buy a SWB truck to start with, unless there is a logical reason to start with a LWB.

Look in the FAQ forum. There is a well written article on how to do this conversion. It shows a 67-72 gen truck, but the principal is the same.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #6
SRH916
1975 C-10 Silverado LWB

Not super logical, I'm just hoping to get a truck right now to drive, and the only one for a reasonable price is a longbed, and it is almost brand new. Looks just off the lot, so i figured if i went with the long bed for now, eventually i could switch it over. and i just like hands on stuff. makes it that much better. and keeps me entertained
Old 12-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRH916 View Post
Not super logical, I'm just hoping to get a truck right now to drive, and the only one for a reasonable price is a longbed, and it is almost brand new. Looks just off the lot, so i figured if i went with the long bed for now, eventually i could switch it over. and i just like hands on stuff. makes it that much better. and keeps me entertained
If it's a nice long bed, sell it to someone who likes long beds and get a short bed. You will be dollars ahead that way.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
If it's a nice long bed, sell it to someone who likes long beds and get a short bed. You will be dollars ahead that way.
Not when nice long beds can be had for cheaper than nice short beds. However, the purchase of a short bed to replace the old long bed after the conversion can eat up money pretty quick. Boils down to finding the right deals I guess.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
streetstar

I'm one of the biggest long bed supporters on the board (only because i have 2 of them)

but even i would say its easier to just save a few more coins for a shortbed truck if thats what you truly want (like N2trux said)

They can be expensive if they are in the condition that long bed your looking at is in though.

doing a conversion like that takes a lot of time if you are a part time mechanic, and all the little things start to nickel and dime you to death -

because of the shape of these frames, cutting one is not quite as easy as it is on a 67-72, so the best way to convert is with a different, short frame altogether

I can only see one brightside to this -- if you bought a cherry longbed to drive initially, then procured a shortbed frame, you could work on it at your leisure while you drove the truck as a long wheelbase.
That is, you could prepare your donor frame to show condition and compile all the parts you need for your conversion, and it wouldnt matter how long it took - a lot of the guys take their trucks down to the frame for a resto. even if they are starting out with a clean truck anyway -- because it makes for a much better presentation (painted or powdercoated frame, fresh hardware, lines, fittings, front end components, etc.)
As well, you could build your rolling chassis however you want (big block, small block, gear ratios, rear suspension designs, etc etc)

Last edited by streetstar; 12-07-2007 at 03:40 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Blackstone

Since you've got time, I'd keep an eye out for a short-wheelbase donor truck... which will already be equipped with it's brake lines, driveshaft, rear wire harness and the gas tank that you may need.
Blackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

here is a tech article that a member on my forum wrote up for us:
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/lwb_to_swb.htm
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs