The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
1Ton

WIW Front springs

I need a set of front springs for my 84 1ton. I found a set and the guy wants me to make him an offer. What are used stock 1ton springs worth?
more is better
too much ought to be enough........
1Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: WIW Front springs

i wouldnt give you more than $20 for a set of used springs they go for like $80 new .. if they were put in and taken out like a week later maybe id give $40 but nothing more

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
71swb4x4

Coils or leafs?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
i wouldnt give you more than $20 for a set of used springs they go for like $80 new .. if they were put in and taken out like a week later maybe id give $40 but nothing more
i've read enough of your posts to know that you lowball everybody though

but your close -- 40 or 50 bucks, maybe --- if you need 'em - for the front, maybe 75 - 100 for a rear leaf spring set
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
1Ton

I listed this on a few forums and it seems like everyone says 50-100 for the pair. I will offer him $75

Thanks guys.
more is better

Last edited by 1Ton; 12-08-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

I would lowball him at 50 first and see what he says. If he says no then just go to 75 but no higher. He might be one of those guys who really doesnt care and any cash you throw at him he'll take.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Streetstar..
i beg to disagree with you i dont lowball everyone... i just figure if youre getting used, you are getting something that you dont know if it will last a minute, a week, a year or the life of the truck, therefore im not paying anymore than i can get away with..the same as anyone else would do.. used is used and when it comes to most used parts they come off of junk vehicles.. someone elses garbage.. garbage at any price is just that garbage.its the simple equation of supply and demand there is plenty of supply of these trucks and their parts..its not like one from the thirties forties fifties where there is a dwindling supply
People try to sell high to either cover their investment or make a profit.. when i try to sell people dont want to pay me top dollar so why should i pay top dollar to them... Ive had trucks for sale where i had several thousand invested and recieved lowball offers.. my 86 was a solid truck that was worth 1100 by most peoples standards i offered it for 1200 with a little wiggle room.. the best offer i got was 600.. i needed to sell the truck so i took it.. that was after two tries on ebay.. every day of the week look on ebay and see what our trucks go for trucks with allegedly thousands of dollars going for pennies ont he dollar.. its worse than one of them late nite infomercials on investing in real estate
these trucks are going into a recession right now as they have lousy gas mileage and as they age its more economical to run a cheaper newer truck than to keep fixing these older ones and therefore are basically worthless to most of the population except as scrap metal and that makes them plentiful in junkyards

money is tight the economy is straining and i have a life to support and a family too whom i have to look out for ( like most of us)

Therefore i have to get the best deal on the parts i get, and most of the time when you sell something you cannot warranty a used part..Very few people these days are stand up and would, if a part is sold that is bad would refund your money so its buyer beware... IMHO the correct way of fixing something is with a new or rebuilt part so when youre bandaiding something together,and make no mistake using used parts on anything other than body panels is bandaiding,particulalry when its anywhere in the drivetrain, chassis, or brakes why pay over price
Alot of the time i buy off of here or ebay cause i dont want to deal with driving to a scrapyard and taking a part off myself as its too cold , not enough time or im too lazy, but that dont mean im gonna put someone elses kids through college on a used auto part.
Heck if you think my pricing is bad go take any used car to a dealership and ask what they will give you on a trade in then find the same car for sale on a lot and check out what they ask.. theres one heck of a difference..
this being said do not take this post as any kind of insult or flame. Im just stating my idea of pricing on used parts. it is not meant to defame, insult , or flame you in any way its merely my philosophy based upon my experiences as a buyer and seller of about twenty years with these and other vehicles and their parts and the various scrap yards i use for parts when i choose to bandaid something together.

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

FWIW you can buy them new for 80. So to me it doesn't make much sense to cheap out on 10 extra dollars for a new part vs worn out old part.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
1Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie View Post
FWIW you can buy them new for 80.
Where?
I cant find new 1ton front springs listed by a supplier. The best I come up with is 3/4tons for $129 a piece.
more is better
Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Streetstar..
i beg to disagree with you i dont lowball everyone...
sorry Rusty, i didnt mean to rattle your cage and certainly didnt mean that as a "dig" or anything --- just an observation based on your response to a lot of people's WIW threads and was meant in good fun
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

no offense was taken i was just trying to explain my position and please dont think i was digging at you either

I hate cancer!!
Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Rockauto.com or summitracing.com Your local auto parts store should have them. Where did you look for them at?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

They start at about $75 a pair at Rock Auto from what I can tell.

Slonaker
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #14
1Ton

Here is what I got when I looked them up on Rock Auto
HUSKY SPRING Part # GMLS010 {Sold Individually}
Front; 4WD, 3 Leaf; 3 Leaf, 1400Lb Rating, Full Taper, 2 3/4" Wide, 23 1/2" x 23 1/2", 1 7/16" Pack Thickness, 1 1/8" Free Arch, OE# 460354

$120.79 $0.00 $120.79

So it looks to me like a pair will run me $241.58
more is better
Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Ahhh I see, you have a 4x4. I thought it was a 2wd 1 ton, that would make the difference.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #16
1Ton

No problem
more is better