The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
gregbr
Senoir Member

Which Security system to use??

Anybody installed a alarm system in our 67-72 trucks? I'm interested in one, but don't want to cut anything or make a bunch of holes. And, I don't know about brands or types of alarms either. Any thoughts? Greg

70 GMC Restoration Pictures
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...00&ppuser=4424
gregbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Luvlegs

Re: Which Security system to use??

Interior - Rottweiler (sp?)
Exterior - 2 Rottweilers
Yard - Smith and Wesson
Perimeter - Remmington

(I can't believe I was actually able to post that before anyone else did similiar...!)

If they can get past those 4, they can have the truck!

Sorry - had to try to be funny.... been cursed like that all my life...

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!

Last edited by Luvlegs; 12-08-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
clemson71guy

LoJack and a viper alarm!
clemson71guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlegs View Post
Interior - Rottweiler (sp?)
Exterior - 2 Rottweilers
Yard - Smith and Wesson
Perimeter - Remmington

(I can't believe I was actually able to post that before anyone else did similiar...!)

If they can get past those 4, they can have the truck!

Sorry - had to try to be funny.... been cursed like that all my life...
I agree I went with the German brand as well and it doubles as our baby sitter as well. Have'nt lost ether one yet!
Attached Images

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #5
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

Old 12-08-2007, 11:55 PM   #6
ofnaman

Don't waste your money on an alarm. I work for a GM and Land Rover dealership and I get paid to remove alarms and security systems. I have not had one yet (including factory alarms) that I could not disable, and I am not a even a theif. The best thing you can do is to put a kill switch in your ride. It cost less to buy and most thieves would not waste the time to look for it. I put a kill switch in my old cutlass that basically was a series of switches that all had to be in the correct positon to start and run the vehicle (my brother liked to "borrow" my race car, after the switches he couldn't). The only other option I would consider (if I had an unlimited budget) would be a lojack.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
dznucks

i put a viper in my '69. it wasn't too hard to install. i really only wanted the remote keyless entry part of it. but in addition to that i put a kill switch in like mentioned above.
i extended the "hot" wire from my distribtor inside the cab and placed a toggle switch under the dash against the drivers side kcik panel, just above the e-brake release handle. i have had no problems with it and it has kept people from driving it off.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Olden Days
Living In The Past

This is not to offend anyone, but I dont see the value of dogs and guns when these threads come up. I have dogs and guns too but I know they wont do me any good when I am in the store/workplace and my truck is in the parking lot, or rest area, or if I hiked off to my fishing spot and had to leave my truck a quarter mile away.
Mine is not on the road yet but I am adding a fuel shutoff with a trick micro switch that is hidden and controls a relay. the trick part is that it takes a special way to turn it on that I wont divulge, But I would also like another deterent, and not just rely on the one.
Yes I know there is the saying that if a theif wants it bad enough they will figure out how to get it, but the more deterents and such you can add make that thief really have to want it even more.

So how much does that lojack cost?
Olden Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #9
bowtieboy93

you could try the kind of immobializer that you have to push in your lighter while u start it
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
BAGGERSOCAL

Desrt Eagle
BAGGERSOCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGGERSOCAL View Post
Desrt Eagle
.45 or .50?
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Kill switch all you want, but don't you just need to run a wire from the (HEI) distributor to the battery, and a screwdriver to the starter? Thats how we test-fired my truck...

My idea, since my column shifter lever is already kept in place by cotter pins, Ill just take the shifter with me when I leave. Good luck forcing it out of park.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
SactoJim

My thoughts are typical alarms are kinda a waste....yeah they are somewhat cool with long reaching remotes, auto locks, remote start, chirp noises, blinking lights, and the lovely alarm sound that everyone tends to ignore.

I say keep it stealthy......once the thief sees a blinking alarm light or an "alarm decal", it just pre-warns him of the obstacle. The more hoops you make him jump through to steal it, the less likely he will.

Have an electrical shut off switch (like what's require for race cars) hidden some place (Painless even makes one that uses a wireless remote), then a simple ignition cut off (easy with an HEI) switch hidden somewhere, Then maybe one of those steering wheel club things, and finally, a fuel cut off (easy with an electric pump, but a little more involved with a mechanical pump....but doable)

So the guy gets in the truck (hell..leave it unlocked so he doesn't screw up the door), probably gets the club off pretty easy, then messes with the ignition only to find out there is no power. Let's say he's prepared and figures all that out, starts the truck and gets down the block only to have it die in the middle of the road......I think at this point he's gonna bail instead of trying to figure out the problem while it's in the middle of the road.

For what a nice alarm system costs, you could easily do all these mods for less and in my opinion have better protection.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:49 PM   #14
drbyrdman

Put a 50amp switch in between the neutral safety switch. i did that on my 72 Blazer. It worked great.
drbyrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #15
Sir Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbyrdman View Post
Put a 50amp switch in between the neutral safety switch. i did that on my 72 Blazer. It worked great.
sorry to sound like an idiot... but what does this mean??
2003 Honda Accord EX
2001 Hewes Redfisher 16 Fighting Lady Yellow

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324118
Sir Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #16
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofnaman View Post
Don't waste your money on an alarm. I work for a GM and Land Rover dealership and I get paid to remove alarms and security systems. I have not had one yet (including factory alarms) that I could not disable, and I am not a even a theif. The best thing you can do is to put a kill switch in your ride. It cost less to buy and most thieves would not waste the time to look for it. I put a kill switch in my old cutlass that basically was a series of switches that all had to be in the correct positon to start and run the vehicle (my brother liked to "borrow" my race car, after the switches he couldn't). The only other option I would consider (if I had an unlimited budget) would be a lojack.
Interrupting the circuit that supplies power to the distributor used to be easy to do. Still is, I guess. Had a friend whose son had a hidden switch in his '56 Bel Air, and forgot he had it after not driving it for "a while". It was one of those simple toggle switches that had to be moved before cranking or no voltage path to the HEI module.

I'd thought about an alarm system, too. But it may just be that this is the route I take. Simple and easy and hard to by-pass. All you gotta do is interrupt the circuit to the HEI and you got it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 12-10-2007 at 09:06 AM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #17
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Days View Post
This is not to offend anyone, but I dont see the value of dogs and guns when these threads come up. I have dogs and guns too but I know they wont do me any good when I am in the store/workplace and my truck is in the parking lot, or rest area, or if I hiked off to my fishing spot and had to leave my truck a quarter mile away.
See this is were you are wrong! Our trucks dont run or ever leave our yards. If they did were would the dogs sleep Point taken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim View Post
I say keep it stealthy......once the thief sees a blinking alarm light or an "alarm decal", it just pre-warns him of the obstacle. The more hoops you make him jump through to steal it, the less likely he will.

Have an electrical shut off switch (like what's require for race cars) hidden some place (Painless even makes one that uses a wireless remote), then a simple ignition cut off (easy with an HEI) switch hidden somewhere, Then maybe one of those steering wheel club things, and finally, a fuel cut off (easy with an electric pump, but a little more involved with a mechanical pump....but doable)

I think at this point he's gonna bail instead of trying to figure out the problem while it's in the middle of the road.

For what a nice alarm system costs, you could easily do all these mods for less and in my opinion have better protection.
Yep and I have done a few of these before and they worked great. I like to keep the motor cranking but just not fire as well. They won't start looking for a kill switch right off the bat before making some noise trying to start it.
I just thought of a good one Whey not wire up a simple relay that takes power from the starter and diverts it to the horn!! Then when they are trying to be quiet and steel your car they will be anything but
I like this one alot! Thanks guys for getting me thinking.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 12-10-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
WorkinLonghorn

The most effective anti-theft system I've ever had was a truck that wouldn't start until after about 2 minutes of cranking (my last '69 GMC). Somebody got in there and skinned the wires and tried to "hot-wire" it but gave up when it didn't start.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #19
kenm78
Broken Down

I am going to wire in a hidden kill switch to cut off power to my electric fuel pump it might start and run for a few minutes due to fuel in the carburator bowls but it won't get any further than the stop sign at the end of my street !!!

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
kenm78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I just thought of a good one Whey not wire up a simple relay that takes power from the starter and diverts it to the horn!! Then when they are trying to be quiet and steel your car they will be anything but
I like this one alot! Thanks guys for getting me thinking.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I may try that, thats awesome!
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #21
Slammed70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
.45 or .50?
They only make .357Magnum, .44magnum, and the mighty .50AE

Which I have all three...kind of.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #22
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

cool! This one is mine...
Kimber CDP pro carry .45
Attached Images

1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #23
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Re: guns and rifles:

A cop friend said the law does not look favorably at someone shooting a person unless you are in immediate danger and can call it self defense. In other words shooting someone because he is stealing your truck may land you in jail and, worse, you may also be liable for damages. Sorry but that's the way this crazy system works.

Also, thieves are very patient and very stealthy themselves. I had a bicycle stolen from my yard just yesterday. And in broad daylight while I was in the house. Never heard a thing. Dog didn't even bark. We suspect the neighbor's delinquent son or his friends. We figure that's why the dog didn't bark. Can't prove it though.

With that said, I still keep a loaded pistol in my bedroom. Never know what crazy thing I may do if I see someone stealing my vehicles...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #24
BCOWANWHEELS

If You Dont Think Dogs Work Come See Mikey, Sugar,joe, Maggie & Sadie. They,ll Change Your Mind Quick And There Not Even Guard Trained. As Far As Deturant I Highly Recomend A Fuel Shut Off Inline Just Out Of The Fuel Pump As Its Well Hidden, Also With My Points Type Trucks I Unplug The Coil Wire But Leave It As If Its Plugged In. Also Use A Chain And Lock To Secure Hood Down. Cheap & Easy.
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #25
chevy71super

I have removable steering wheels on two of my trucks and LoJack on one. I won the LoJack at a car show this summer. They said retail is $695.

The removable steering wheels are a great alternative to alarms systems. They won't stop thiefs from towing the truck but it makes it darn difficult to drive away. Besides if you were going to steal a car and looked in and saw it didn't have a steering wheel you would probably move on to the next one.

The kit is made by Grant and costs about $100. Summit has them. Only draw backs are they only fit aftermarket wheels and it positions the steering wheel about 2 inches closer to you. Works best if you select a wheel with little to no dish.

I swear by them. One of my trucks is a daily driver and I always remove the wheel and stick it under the seat. Takes about 2 seconds. I used to drive it to a park in ride north of Seattle and the truck was always there when I returned and thieves treated thosed lots like used car lots.
Attached Images

chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote