The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
HotGMC

Unhappy Drip Rail Leaking.. Quick Fix?

my drip rail is leaking from the driverside corner. i know its not from the windshield because its not going ON the windshield, its dripping from the top corner. I looked today on the top and it looks like it has some cracks on it, and it seems like little puddles get stuck up there and then drip by drip get my carpet soaked.

What can i do to fix this properly? and also is there something i can just do for the time being so my carpet doesnt get soaked. this is my first rain season with this truck, and where it gets wet, im guessing the previous owner did nothing about it because thats where its all rusted through.

any info woiuld help. if someone can tell me a quick fix right now before i go to work at 4 it would be greatly appreciated.

HotGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Drip Rail Leaking.. Quick Fix?

A good ureathane caulk will stop the leak or I have used roof flashing sealant as a quick fix.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

It`s worse than making the carpet wet.It`s wanting to rust everything in it`s path to the ground.What color is your top?Is your paint real nice or what?I`d chip out all the seam sealer in the gutter and use an abrsive wheel to get it to clean metal.Treat with rust preventer and prime with a good sealing red oxide primer.Then,reseal with seam sealer and repaint.I`ve done white top trucks where it`s no really noticeable.I just painted the area,masking everything lower and fine sanding and scuff padding to blend with rxisting top paint.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
john
member #16

If you want to fix it properly, you will need to remove the old sealer and use a paintable sealer. I used a 3M sealer in a caulking gun. Just look for one with no shrinkage and some flexibility.

http://www.autopaintersupply.com/Mer...egory_Code=3BS
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'm willing to bet you have a leaky cowl too. The area over the windshield woulda rusted out by now if that was the leak that caused a hole in the floor.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
HotGMC

well my floor is already rusting out and so are my rocker panels haha so thats not so much my concern right now. i just need to seal it real quick.

No, i do not have nice paint haha i have primer.

Longhorn man, i am only assuming that had a major factor in it. just because thats right where it is. i wish i knew some people out here that would be able to help me with little stuff. i have the tools, i just need the know how.
anyone want to help me replace my fan belt? haha although it does sound cool like a gear drive, im worried it will leave me stranded.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I take a screw driver and hammer to chisel it all out.It`s hard and pops tight off.If you have a drill,go buy a 3M abrasive wheel at a hardware store.Those squiggley plastic fiber thingies.If no drill take coarse sandpaper to it.I like Permatex Rust Treatment.Napa has it in spray on.Let it set until the next day and put the seam sealer on.I get that at Napa,too.It`s a cartridge for a caulk gun.just lay a nice fat bead across there from end to end.I take an acid brush like plumbers use for flux,put some thinner in a spray can cap,and keep wetting the brush while you spread the sealer across the entire area.It will take a long time to set up.The thicker the longer.I wouldn`t re-prime until it gets pretty firm to touch.Could take days.
You may find you have pinholes rusted through which is where your water id coming from.Let the sealer take care of that.If you were doing a restoration I`d say break out the welder.But,the sealer will do the job.You`ve now stabilized the source of the problem.It takes a leak for a long time to rot the header panel(area above the windshield inside).The water wants to run down and gets caught in your cowl or leaks down to the kick panel area.You western guys have solid bottoms compared to us eastern guys(I`m talkin`trucks here),but the sun can bake out those gutters and cause what you have.It seems that it`s just starting to be a problem in recent years.I go after the bad sealer in trucks I bring back as soon as I get them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
HotGMC

i will probably end up doing that when i get done with work today. thanks for a,ll the feedback guys. and

special K thanks for the detailed INfo