The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Stevea

Bought me a 55 Cameo

Well I have looked for a Cameo truck for a couple years and finally found one this last week near my house. It's very solid and complete. It currently has a 350/auto in it right now, but I think the original motor and transmission are in the bed but need to verify it. I bought the truck because my wife loves them, so I want to make it a very drivable truck for her. I have never owned an older truck just cars, so this is a first for me.

I have an idea about what I should do to make it something she will enjoy driving, but I would like to hear your ideas.

I know they make all sorts of disc brake kits for cars, how about for older trucks like this? I would also like to put power steering on it for her. Is there a good book or magazine I should subscribe to for doing upgrades on this thing and buying parts?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Steve

Stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: Bought me a 55 Cameo

Looks like a nice truck! The best place to find info for your build is right here on this site. Their is more combined info and real world help here then any mag or book plus we get cool pics here as well. Sorry but I am not the best one to help as I am more the 60-72 guy on the site but I can get you thinking abit if you want.

Cheap and sotra easy way to do it would be find a donor 70's nova and use the front suspension clip, motor, tranny, rear end, power brakes....

Or of you want to keep it more stock then I know they make power steering conversions for these and they should have a disk brake kit as well. But even with this you are still running 50+yr old front suspension design.

You can also strip out the front suspension and replace it with a mustange II style front kit. This will lower it, give you disk brakes, power rack and pinion much better road mannors and you do not have to cut the frame in half like you do for the Nova set up.

Like I said I am a 60-72 guy so just wait untill the 55-50 guy wake up and chime in!
Good luck.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

That is a great find. Keep us posted on the build and post plenty of pics.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

That Cameo looks real solid... Nice score.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
C10-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Stevea

I'm not sure I would want to do the Nova frontend, but I may consider the Mustang II front end? That sounds like a very good option to make it drive better for her. I will do my research before I do anything. I wouldn't mind it sitting a little lower, but the biggest concern is how well it drives for the wife. I want her to feel comfortable driving it.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Rokcrln

Well with it sitting a bit lower and the mustange II front end, power disk brakes, power rack and pinion steering, minimaly rebuild rear suspension or a 4 link with coil overs to match the front lowered height, EFI 350, auto over drive it will out drive most new cars on the road today. You wife should feel very safe and have no concerns driving it anywere she wants to go. I will be building a 63 WSB for my wife and it will be all modern as far as engine, tranny and suspension go so she will be safe anywere she goes. I like modern EFI because it is hard to beat and is very dependable = wife safe at night out on a drive.

Steve~ The best thing for you to do for now is let us know what "She" want the truck to look like (stock, custom, stock looking but lowered??) what motor set up you want, how skilled you are (do you have fabrication tools and skill or do you prefer bolt on 's) any kind of budget you are trying to work around nad then guys will start a build list for you of what they would do.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Oh and if no one has said yet we do charge for our help! First is for you to support the board with a yearly $25 subscripsion (helps this site stay up for all of us plus you get added things with it. Then for the guys helping you out we require lots of Pic's as you start your project!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Nice looking start to a project. Can you enlarge the photos and repost. As you will learn we on this forum love pics. Neat that your wife is into this as well. My wife has been in my truck once but wore a ball cap, dark glasses and sat low in the seat. My kids (13 15 17 ) on the other hand love the ride.

My 59 has the MII front end power 4 wheel disc brakes with 4 link and air bags. My daughter turns 16 in January and is looking forward to driving it in the summer. I'd have no problem with her driving as these trucks work very well with that setup.

Brian ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited

Last edited by entourageguy; 12-10-2007 at 11:29 AM.
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
Nice looking start to a project. Can you enlarge the photos and repost. Brian ...
Brian~ click on the pic!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Stevea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Well with it sitting a bit lower and the mustange II front end, power disk brakes, power rack and pinion steering, minimaly rebuild rear suspension or a 4 link with coil overs to match the front lowered height, EFI 350, auto over drive it will out drive most new cars on the road today. You wife should feel very safe and have no concerns driving it anywere she wants to go. I will be building a 63 WSB for my wife and it will be all modern as far as engine, tranny and suspension go so she will be safe anywere she goes. I like modern EFI because it is hard to beat and is very dependable = wife safe at night out on a drive.

Steve~ The best thing for you to do for now is let us know what "She" want the truck to look like (stock, custom, stock looking but lowered??) what motor set up you want, how skilled you are (do you have fabrication tools and skill or do you prefer bolt on 's) any kind of budget you are trying to work around nad then guys will start a build list for you of what they would do.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Oh and if no one has said yet we do charge for our help! First is for you to support the board with a yearly $25 subscripsion (helps this site stay up for all of us plus you get added things with it. Then for the guys helping you out we require lots of Pic's as you start your project!

Thanks for the information and I would be happy to support the site

She would love for it to drive like a new car. She likes the idea of getting into it and just driving it and not having to worry about anything.

I can do all the work myself. The only thing I will have done for me will be the motor rebuild. The motor that's in it right now is out of a police car 350 but it has a carb. I have no idea the shape of it either. Is it better to find a newer motor with fuel injection or can I buy a set up for this motor. I also need to find a good transmission, I'm still not sure what the transmission in it is now? I need to check them both out a little better. I also have what the guy thought was the original running gear in the back, so I don't know what I'm going go do with that yet.

There is still a lot of checking out of the truck I need to do before too many big decisions are made.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
Daniel U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevea View Post
Is it better to find a newer motor with fuel injection or can I buy a set up for this motor. I also need to find a good transmission, I'm still not sure what the transmission in it is now? I need to check them both out a little better. I also have what the guy thought was the original running gear in the back, so I don't know what I'm going go do with that yet.
I would find out if the original equipment is a #'s matching set. It may be worth some $$ to you or someone else who is restoring a Cameo to OEM. As far as EFI, there are plenty of kits out there for swapping from carb to EFI. I scavenged my TPI and trans from an 87 F body(Firebird/Camaro). It was a simple choice for me as I was comfortable working with it. My 88 IROC has the same intake and trans and I bought all the software for my laptop to manipulate the computer portion of the system. It lets me do a number of things, as well as monitor all my #'s under the hood and decode any problems the computer reads. Not to mention it's all GM equipment! Keep the pictures coming. I've always liked those Cameos, so do a good job on it. Tell your wife how fortunate she'll be when its done.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe

Last edited by Daniel U; 12-11-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
streetstar

[QUOTE=Stevea;2480284]I'm not sure I would want to do the Nova frontend, but I may consider the Mustang II front end? That sounds like a very good option to make it drive better for her. QUOTE]

There are a few options out there from companies like Fat-Man Fabrications and a couple of others that manufacture new front end conversions for these. They are pricier than scavenging a Mustang system, but they are brand new -- its easy to get sticker shock looking at the cost of some of the new components like that, but compared to the value of a nicely done Cameo or Apache -- its a drop in the bucket

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Daniel U

Looks like a sweet start. My opinion: Must II front with disc on all 4 corners. This also gives you the PS with the V8 set up. I'm also a fan of EFI. My '54 will have a polished TPI(I hate chokes) on top of a 5.7 with the 700R4 trans a 10 bolt rear with 3:73 posi. It'll look like a '54 and run like a modern Chevy.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #13
OldCreek

There are some books out there... had one....let a friend borrow it.

But, just spend time on this site and go to www.stovebolt.com. Great site and great people. You'll probably get a little more info over there.... they focus a bit more on the earlier years.
1970 K3500 1ton CrewCab 8.1L/Allison1000/NP205 Dana 60/14B!!!! - Sold
1984 K10 SWB 7.4L/4L80e/NP208 Corp 10/12 bolt Sold
1988 V30 CCLB 7.4L/TH400/NP205/Dana 60/Dana 70/3.73!!! (Sold)
2003 K2500HD 8.1/Allison1000/NP263
OldCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
streetstar

welcome to the site

Besides this web site of course, "Classic Trucks" and "Custom Classic Trucks" are two mags you should be able to find at any bookstore that cater to oyur marketplace, as well as give you ideas for your own build.

Since you own it now, i am sure you are well aware of how coveted and ssought after the Cameo truck is in classic truck circles. Yours looks like an awesome one to start with. I dont have one, but i have always been a fan of those, as well as the Apaches from the same era

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Igotachevyor2
Apache Club

great truck
Igotachevyor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
Stevea

I saw this add on the local craigslist. does it look like it's something that would work in the Cameo?

"LT1 motor pulled from a running 1996 Camaro. The Camaro had 63K on the car when it was wrecked. The motor has aluminum heads installed from the factory. I have sent the factory wiring harness off and had it modified for a stand-alone install of this motor. Use this motor for a transplant or repair of your Z28 or Corvette cheap. I have everything for this motor swap. Including the factory exhaust manifolds and the pipe to the converter. Complete set up Radiator to the air-cleaner it is all included. The factory computer is also included in the sale. Pictures can be emailed to interested parties. "

Just wondering if something like this will work? Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 01:44 AM   #17
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

That sounds like a Very Good Choice for what you are after, Will Have a Little Power & Should be Very Reliable.........

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #18
Cameo Carrier

Congrats on the Cameo! I love these trucks obviously,lol. Mine is my first car and has been a really reliable truck for me (hence it looking the way it does, it's my daily driver.) You guys should have a lot of fun with it. I know I have. My girl loves my truck I think as much as I do. It means a lot when your significant other cares about something you do. Go have fun and whatever you need to learn you can find it on here.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #19
CAL 58 GMC

Looks like a nice solid truck to start with! Classic Performance Products, http://www.classicperform.com and Brother Trucks http://www.brotherstrucks.com are both a great place to shop for parts for these old trucks. Classic Performance is having a big holiday sale right now http://www.cpptalk.com/winter.sale.07.html. Keep the pics coiming of your project.

Last edited by CAL 58 GMC; 12-18-2007 at 12:52 PM.
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote