The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

Any registered vender carry QA1 shocks?

I need more rebound control on the rear air ride. Like to try to support board vendors. I cruised through the vendor area but didn't find anybody with QA1 shocks (but I'm really not very good at this). Used QA1 on my dirt track car years ago. Anybody have any other manufacturers shocks they've used and are very pleased with?

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: Any registered vender carry QA1 shocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDCARGUY View Post
Anybody have any other manufacturers shocks they've used and are very pleased with?
ASSuming the truck in your avatar... the regular Monroes work quite well on the rear of these trucks. If you're having "bounce" issues, you may want to reevaluate your ride height air pressure in the back as well as make sure your trailing arm mounts are good. I don't have anything against the QA-1's (except the extraordinary price!), but I don't believe they're necessary.

XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

XXL - Thanks for the input. I've a new set of Monroes on the truck. I'm using sleeve bags and set the ride height, when building the brackets, at the recommended height. 51# of air puts the truck right on the ride height. The truck rides fine for me, it's just my wife has a back issue and the rebound, sometimes, is a little sharp. She really enjoys cruising, we've driven the truck 6,000mi since the first of May. So if I can do anything to make it more enjoyable, I'll try. Thanks again. If anybody has any other suggestions, as to how to reduce the rebound, put 'em on me!

36FORD PU - WAITING
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
Old 12-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
jlaird

One thing I noticed when I bought the monroes that everybody uses is how amazingly EASY they compress by hand. I also have a pair of doestch tech shocks for the rear and they are MUCH stiffer. I can't imagine those monroes doing much good in the front with the wieght of the engine, so I'm ditching those and getting another pair of doestch techs for the front.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

Thanks jlaird. I'm only having trouble with the rear. I'll see if I can figure out what Doestch shocks will crossreference to the stroke I need. I'm more than happy to try another(less expensive ) solution first. I should have titled this thread "rear rebound control w/ air ride".

36FORD PU - WAITING
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting

Last edited by JayG; 12-15-2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added last sentence.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
One thing I noticed when I bought the monroes that everybody uses is how amazingly EASY they compress by hand.
Stiffness isn't inherently better. You're looking for ride control. The spring (or bag) should be doing the work of holding the truck up. I don't think the Monroes are the best shock in the world, but for these trucks, I've tried lots of alternatives and have come back to them every time. They are "well valved" for the weight and travel that these suspensions ask of the shock.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
70short/step

When I had my 4-link installed I used QA-1 shocks and I wont use anything else now. They have the 12 way valve setting so I can cruise with nothing in the bed and it rides like a car. I can stiffen them up and adjust the spring to get plent of weight in the bed when hauling stuff also.
My truck rode like a....well Truck, untill I changed over. wife didnt like the ride much until i went with the QA-1. I found em on Ebay.

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
jlaird

something I just found out....summit racings brand truck drop shocks are doetsch techs. about $20.00 less per shock!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #9
Kontrol Phreaks

We carry the VariShock line-up which is the same basic design as the HAL, QA1, VariShock, etc.

Here's an image of the shocks and a link to their website. If you find a shock that you like, please feel free to PM or email with the information and we can get back to you with pricing.

http://www.varishock.com/
Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
Ackattack

I'm planning on going with some QA1 shocks also. I don't know my ride height at the moment, so I haven't gotten them yet. I'm also debating between the single and double adjustable ones.

My truck is going to be a show/bracket racer so with the adjustable shock and air bags I'll be able to adjust the rebound/compression as well as the spring rate. Hopefully that will help get the truck down the track quickly
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #11
Kontrol Phreaks

Check out the VariShocks then when it comes time to get your shocks. They are available in Single, or Double Adjustable and come in a large selection of sizes.
The shocks are made by Chris Alstons Chassisworks who is a large name in the drag racing industry. Killer shocks made by a killer company.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

Thanks Kontrol Phreaks! I'll be in touch, soon!

36FORD PU - WAITING
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
Old 01-02-2008, 06:28 AM   #13
Tony@AirRideTech

Tech tid bits for you guys... Being that airsprings have a progressive spring rate, you dont need near as much compression dampening that you do with a static steel lowered suspension. The airspring will take care of itself for the most part on compression. As the truck suspension compresses, the spring rate inlinates to help control it on its own. You really want a shock that has tha majority of its valving on the extension stroke. Hence why the Blue Monroe's work so well with them. They are essentially a 90/10 shock with 90% of valving on the extension (rebound). On a lowered static steel suspension you will have more luck using shocks with more compression valving because with the linear spring rate of a steel spring, you need to control the inertia generated by the truck more so it doesnt slam your suspension on the bumpstops all the time.
This is where an adjustable shock comes into play. With the Alston designed Vari Shocks, you have compplete control over the rebound setting on the shock and with the double adjustable you can adjust bound or rebound to suit your needs anytime.

Clint.... you forgot to add that the Alston's are also 16 position adjustable on the rebound stroke and is the same shocks that we build all of our Shockwaves with Happy new year brother!
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 AM   #14
Kontrol Phreaks

I feel so intelligent after reading your post Tony. Where did you copy and paste that info from ..... hahahahaha.
Honestly though, that was some excellent technical information about the shocks.

Happy New Year Buddy.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 AM   #15
Kontrol Phreaks

I feel so intelligent after reading your post Tony. Where did you copy and paste that info from ..... hahahahaha.
Honestly though, that was some excellent technical information about the shocks. Sorry I forgot about the free plug on your Chassisworks Shockwaves ....

Happy New Year Buddy.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #16
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontrol Phreaks View Post
Honestly though, that was some excellent technical information about the shocks. Sorry I forgot about the free plug on your Chassisworks Shockwaves ....

Happy New Year Buddy.
I agree. Good info!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #17
Tony@AirRideTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontrol Phreaks View Post

Happy New Year Buddy.

Man I'm good!!! I impressed Clint so much that he posted twice
Tony@AirRideTech is offline   Reply With Quote