The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

ok friends, i need hands-on HELP!!!!

Alright, so January of this year I began tearing apart my '72 Stepside with plans to "restore" it. it's now december, and i've made almost no progress because i just don't have the experience or skills i need to do this body-work.

If there is ANYONE out there in the midwest that just enjoys working on trucks and would be interesting in helping me save this project from failure, PLEASE let me know.

You wouldn't be doing the work for me, I'd be there working just as well. I'm so sad to see my baby-blue just sitting, rusting, dying on me, that I really could use some actual hands-on assistance.

Thanks everyone!

Deceased:
1972 C10 Stepside, 350ci smallblock, Edelbrock 750 performer carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, DynaMax headers, Thrush glasspacks, flame-throwers!
sorestgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
redhead69
fugedaboutit

Re: ok friends, i need hands-on HELP!!!!

If theres a will theres a way.. post some pics!! and ask some questions.. esp in the paint and body forum, the experts over there know there stuff and have helped me and others.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

If i were Closer i would Offer up what Little Help that i Could, With that said if you Need Help you need to be More Specific as to what Area's you Need Help with. Too Start with Pics would be Nice, That could get you Advise & Possible solutions.

Is the Truck so Far apart that you Can't easily get it Back Drivable?

Just a Word of Advise from Someone who has Been There, Done That, Whenever you Start a Project like this you Need a Plan & a Budget for it or you Will Flounder Away your Time & Possibly get to the Stage that you Just want to Give up.

With all that Said Post up some Pics & ask Specific Questions & You May Get some Help, I have Found that there is a Goldmine of Talent on this Board That are more than willing to Help out if you know what you Need...........

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

What kinda work does it need? Get a good manual or two that has step-by-step instructions and just carefully read and understand each step and do it with the correct tools.Once you get going it will be fun again.
I use Haynes (Not really too good,but OK for most jobs),and the factory service manual I bought on ebay for $19.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

It needs A LOT of work. The pictures will do the talking

I took these pictures today (12/12/07):

The engine isn't really "built" at all, I tore it down to rebuild back in January, but ran out of money. Than for my graduation party I kinda "mock-built" it so it at least looked like an engine.

Deceased:
1972 C10 Stepside, 350ci smallblock, Edelbrock 750 performer carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, DynaMax headers, Thrush glasspacks, flame-throwers!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
What kinda work does it need? Get a good manual or two that has step-by-step instructions and just carefully read and understand each step and do it with the correct tools.Once you get going it will be fun again.
I use Haynes (Not really too good,but OK for most jobs),and the factory service manual I bought on ebay for $19.
I have a Haynes manual and it's extremely helpful. But what kinda stopped the project was the cab floor. It was rotted out (nothing unusual) so I bought floor patch panels from LMC Truck. Everything was going great, i had a new rocker welded in, the driver's side cab corner welded in and started smoothing it to blend, as well as the rear half of the driver's side floor all finished. Than when I went to put in the front driver's side floor panel, I just can't get it to line up, and I'm also worried about the cab-mount lining up properly with the mounts on the frame.

My welding skills are pretty good in my opinion (I took classes and got I-CAR certified) but the welder my dad bought for the garage SUCKS. When I used the welders in the lab for the class I was taking, I could lay down a beautiful bead on any gauge steel, any angle. But the one in our garage doesn't compare at all to the lab's welders.

I also don't have a running engine, and without that it's hard to be motivated to finish the truck to put the engine in it. I'm trying to find a Duramax to use, but it's more likely I'll have to just send my old 350 in to get cleaned and built.

Deceased:
Old 12-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post

Is the Truck so Far apart that you Can't easily get it Back Drivable?

Rick
My truck DEFINES "too far apart" lol

Deceased:
Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
72 cheyenne pdx

If I was closer I would come out and assist.

So what's your plans now? Are you still "restoring it" or are you wanting to just put it back together and call it good? If you are "restoring it", I would start with the frame and remove the rust, put a coat of primer/paint, podercoat, or whatever you decide. Suspension next and get that looking good. and build up from there. I would try and get everything you feel comfortable completed and then when you get to the point where you need help, to hit this forum up for questions.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #9
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
If I was closer I would come out and assist.

So what's your plans now? Are you still "restoring it" or are you wanting to just put it back together and call it good? If you are "restoring it", I would start with the frame and remove the rust, put a coat of primer/paint, podercoat, or whatever you decide. Suspension next and get that looking good. and build up from there. I would try and get everything you feel comfortable completed and then when you get to the point where you need help, to hit this forum up for questions.
I'd just like to put it back together basically, maybe some body-work to clean it up. I really want to find a Duramax to drop in it, but on my budget, that'll never happen.

Deceased:
Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #10
WorkinLonghorn

Around here you can rent welders pretty cheap from Home Depot (100 Amp=$25.is the smallest they have).Don't get overwhelmed by too much work.Just concentrate on that floor and get it done right and move on.
When I was 16 I completely disassembled an old motorcycle down to nuts and bolts and bearing balls and put everything right. What a feeling to ride something that you put together and that you know like the back of your hand.Nothing quite like it.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Around here you can rent welders pretty cheap from Home Depot (100 Amp=$25.is the smallest they have).Don't get overwhelmed by too much work.Just concentrate on that floor and get it done right and move on.
When I was 16 I completely disassembled an old motorcycle down to nuts and bolts and bearing balls and put everything right. What a feeling to ride something that you put together and that you know like the back of your hand.Nothing quite like it.
I've done the same with about half a dozen 3 & 4 wheelers, so i do know that feeling. This is just a REALLY complex 4-wheeler lol

Deceased:
Old 12-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

More pictures:
Here is what I'm dealing with on the floor:
Drivers:

Passenger:

This is the POS welder I've been using:

And here's why I can't really work on ANYTHING until spring, the garage is packed with my brother's stripped E30 track car, my dad's M3, and (not visible, on other side of garage) my dad's 78 Porsche, along with the other toys (not visible: BMW R1150 RT and the John Deere)
Too many damn cars:

We built this 3 1/2 stall garage because we didn't have enough space with the attached 4 stall one, but we managed to fill this one up too!

If I do start working on my truck again, I'll have to plan a weekend ahead of time to move the BMW's out and my cab in.

Deceased:
Old 12-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

heck family or not..it would be a cold day in he11 before my truck sat outside while their vehicles sat inside apart or not...lol. no way isnt happnin
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #14
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad6772 View Post
heck family or not..it would be a cold day in he11 before my truck sat outside while their vehicles sat inside apart or not...lol. no way isnt happnin
That's the way it should be, but my dad doesn't think my truck really qualifies as a "truck" anymore lol

Plus, it's a $400 POS, so I really don't mind.

Deceased:
Old 12-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #15
72 cheyenne pdx

If I assume right, it's your dad's garage, so I can see why his vehicles should stay. Why though does your brother's E30 track car take precedents over your truck? Is your brother working on his vehicle? If not, I would go to dad and say that (if this is true) "Dad, Why is my brother's car just sitting in the warm garage collecting dust, while I am here trying to rebuild my truck?" If you show some interest and try your best at working on the truck, your dad may just kick your bro's car out into the snow and your truck may take its place.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #16
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Apparently, you are lower on the totem pole than everyone else....bottom of the food chain....bottom of the pecking order.....yada, yada, yada.

I have had my truck for 8 years. I have bought magazines, books, brochures, tools, equipment, more tools, more magazines, you name it. I did little stuff to keep it running. I had lots and lots of big ideas, all requiring one thing....$$$$. Everything I wanted, or wanted to do, was made out of unobtanium or cantgetium. My kids had "emergencies" or other events that seemed to take my $$, which I did willingly to help them. I planned and planned and planned and nothing got done. Finally, my dad died and left me enough money to have someone do what I didn't do, couldn't do and/or would not be able to do.

My remedy is not the answer to your situation. It isn't the answer I wanted. I wanted to do my truck myself, but it just didn't work out the way I wanted. Am I happy? Well, yeah....when it is done and I get back to driving it.

I don't know the answer to your situation. Maybe taking stock of a vocational technical school (state-run) that has an auto body class, or a class in welding.....essentially letting YOU learn to do the tasks that need to be done and offering YOU the chance to do it yourself, and not end up like this old man....paying someone else to do what I wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't be doing.

Life teaches us many lessons, but only if we learn from them. I learned that I probably shouldn't have bought my truck and then fantasized about what it could be. I'd have a few more dollars, but nothing to talk about.

Handle it, handle it!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 12-14-2007 at 03:18 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorestgore View Post
That's the way it should be, but my dad doesn't think my truck really qualifies as a "truck" anymore lol

Plus, it's a $400 POS, so I really don't mind.
If indeed you only Paid $ 400.00 for the Truck maybe you Could Part it out & Recoup your Money & Invest in One that does'nt Need as Much Work........

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #18
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
I don't know the answer to your situation. Maybe taking stock of a vocational technical school (state-run) that has an auto body class, or a class in welding.....essentially letting YOU learn to do the tasks that need to be done and offering YOU the chance to do it yourself, and not end up like this old man....paying someone else to do what I wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't be doing.
Well, I've taken two voc classes at CVTC (Eau Claire, WI), one was auto-body paint tech, the other was welding. I've gotten my I-CAR welding certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
If indeed you only Paid $ 400.00 for the Truck maybe you Could Part it out & Recoup your Money & Invest in One that does'nt Need as Much Work........

Rick
I've been considering it, but of course we all have that emotional connection to our vehicles (or is it just me). This was my first vehicle, as well as my first actual investment. This truck was the first vehicle I could just "work" on and not worry about whether the exhaust was legal or if my parents cared what I did. This was the first V8 i'd ever gotten my hands on (i'd grown up working on BMW's). This was what I went to prom in (lost my virginity in the bed of it too, same night lol).... So it is very special to me.

BUT

It is a money-pit, and I should be realistic and consider parting it out, finding another Stepside, and starting over.

Deceased:
Old 12-15-2007, 03:29 AM   #19
OhNoJoe

I'm thinking that you need to show your dad that you an interest and will to start working on your truck. You could start my working on some of the smaller bits and peices i.e. hood springs, a fender, bumper. Those things will need attention one day. You could put a hat and gloves and long jons...and work outside on something. Once you show dad you have the will, he'll be more likely to try to make room for you. I used to think that I couldn't do this or that without x or y..... then when I was on my own and x or y broke and I had no money to get this or that I figured out a way to fix things.
Now I got this or that and the other thing and I'm still not getting my truck done. I guess I need to get some desire and will of my own.
OhNoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:09 AM   #20
nightmare

I would suggest just looking for a new cab, and keeping the rest. The cab is in the worst condition, at least from what I could tell. Once you get that, the rest of the stuff will go back together a lot easier. You wouldn't need to part it and it would still be your special truck. JMHO

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:09 AM   #21
chip46wis

from Chippewa falls here-------25 miles---contact me I will help where I can.69 step here in progress.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #22
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
I would suggest just looking for a new cab, and keeping the rest. The cab is in the worst condition, at least from what I could tell. Once you get that, the rest of the stuff will go back together a lot easier. You wouldn't need to part it and it would still be your special truck. JMHO
That's what I've been trying to do for a while, nothing reasonable has come up yet but I'm keeping my eyes open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip46wis View Post
from Chippewa falls here-------25 miles---contact me I will help where I can.69 step here in progress.
That would be awesome!!! I work through this entire weekend, and most of next week, but i will contact you.

Deceased:
Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #23
chip46wis

NO problem-lets put our heads together and see what kind of plan we come up with.I ran my own small body shop up til 8 years ago----Been a welder for 25 plus and a hot rod nut for ----lots of years.I have a line on some parts that may be helpful also----PM me
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #24
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i just want to add that there are vendors on this board who sell a one piece floor kit for these model trucks maybe that would work better for you as opposed to little pieces being welded together? check out triproautomotive's web site
Ive personally seen one of these and it looks great

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #25
sorestgore
Official C-10 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip46wis View Post
NO problem-lets put our heads together and see what kind of plan we come up with.I ran my own small body shop up til 8 years ago----Been a welder for 25 plus and a hot rod nut for ----lots of years.I have a line on some parts that may be helpful also----PM me
oh... wow. Sir, you may have just saved this project. Last night/ this morning i was about 95% sure i was going to part the old truck out, buy an old MK2 VW GTi, and work on that. With your experience and welding skills, this project will maybe finally go somewhere. I'm going to try to get work off sometime this weekend so we could meet and see what can become of Ol' Blue.

Thank you so much for offering assistance!!!

Deceased: