The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #1
OhNoJoe

4.3 Swapp

Ok So against my better judgement I went to E-bay and got me a 4.3 inline 6 and tranny for $200. It has 50k on it and is complete with a wiring harness computer, mounts and all assecories i.e. power steering, starter, a/c compressor.
When I go pull this on Saturday, what else should I snag?

I know I'm out of my league with all this computer stuff but if I don't start now I'll never figure it out.......who knows maybe one day I'll firgure out how to pull a check engine code instead of asking the guys at auto-zone.

THanks for your input in advance.
Joe
OhNoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
smoky02

Re: 4.3 Swapp

4.3 inline 6? I wasn't aware they made an inline 4.3, what did it come out of? it shouldn't be that hard, I'm donig the same project but with a 4.3 V6 and it's going in an early model S-10

Looking for a 1972 Blazer to hopefully fill the hole in my heart.
smoky02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
nightmare

I think that the straight 6's were in the Chevy Trailblazers. I didn't think that they were the 4.3 though. Either way, they make great engines, as they have a lot of torque to them.

As for what else to get, you may want to try to get the linkage to the steering column for the tranny. Others may have more comments on what to get. Good luck with it. Is it going into your truck?

2001 Dakota R/T - Silver CC - 1 of 1671 •360 w/46RE •392 limited slip
1972 Chevy Suburban - Turquoise/Black
1969 Chevy C/10 - Blue LWB •350 w/ 700R4 •3.73 posi •PS PB A/C - SOLD

Using your turn signal is not "giving information to the enemy"

67-72 FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCMAX View Post
My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes!
nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
D13

4.3 & computer = V-6 not L6. You'll need V8 fraame mounts. Get all wiring, exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe if possible, and all the accesories as nothing from earlier trucks bolts on the serp dirve setup. And get a good manual with wiring diagram from the year of the truck
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
OhNoJoe

Thanks for the ideas I am starting a list.... (not of who is naughty or nice)

Here is what 67_C-30 posted on my orginal tread when I got this crazy idea.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=268773

Vortec 4200 I-6 Engine
Standard in TrailBlazer LT models, the Vortec 4.2L I-6 engine generates 285 hp — unsurpassed in its class(1) — at 6000 rpm and 276 lb.-ft. of torque at 4600 rpm.

Some important features of the Vortec 4.2L I-6 engine:

A broad torque curve through the majority of the speed range helps this engine deliver 90 percent of peak torque from 2000 to 6000 rpm. This provides ample torque at low rpm and high rpm, giving you an SUV that responds with the torque you need, when you need it.
Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) relays accelerator pedal position information to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The PCM then positions the throttle air valve in the best position to help achieve optimum vehicle drivability.
Pistons and rods are lightweight, helping this engine run comfortably at high rpm and producing more power from smaller displacements.
Variable Valve Timing offers a number of advantages over conventional valve timing in the areas of power, efficiency and emissions and helps produce near-peak levels of torque over an extended range.
An advanced heat treatment process give the aluminum engine block and cylinder heads light weight with exceptional strength.
Nodular iron crankshafts were optimized using the most advanced math-based computer tools available to GM to help provide quiet operation, long-term reliability and remarkable durability.
Iridium-tip spark plugs help this engine travel up to 100,000 miles before the plugs need to be replaced. The recommended engine coolant change interval is up to 5 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. And the accessory drive belt is designed to operate up to 150,000 miles before requiring replacement. Maintenance needs vary with different uses and driving conditions. See the Owner’s Manual for more information. See your dealer for the Chevy TrailBlazer maintenance schedule.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
cstanley

ya, the 4.2 is an inline. 4.3 is v-6

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
smoky02

k...that's what was throwing me...LOL

Looking for a 1972 Blazer to hopefully fill the hole in my heart.
smoky02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
skchevota

You better grab the throttle pedal as it is a drive by wire set up. also I would grab the under dash wirering as well and the guage cluster if possible. as a matter of fact you might need some of the interior wireing and modules that mount under the back seat as well. If you plan it right and get everthing you need you can hook up the electronic cruze control and electronic shift transfercase as well. There is a lot envolved in a swap like this , its no as easy as the old throttle body injection swaps. If you dont know much about it now, you will be an expert when you are done.
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
OhNoJoe

I'm guessing that I'm in over my head. But heck it's not like it's brian surgery...... Do you think when a bunch of doctors got a guy's skull cracked open they say to each other "wait one second this is brian surgery"